Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
dabates
dabates began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (still looking)
Help with some decisions (Sony vs Kindle)

I know this has been hashed out very very very many times. But I also know that everyone's situation is different.

I've been researching each of these eReaders..

The kindle is very swanky.. as is the DX..

I have had a chance to try the 505 (Sony) but not the 700. I've used other touch screen devices and can I say, I'm not sold on touchscreen.. so that's a con against the 700

I also get alot of PDF's.. Many of which have pictures, not just text). I took one of these PDF's to a store that allowed me to use a 505 and I couldn't possibly read the PDF on the 505. Text was too small and you can't zoom. (Which the 700 fixed I believe).

The other thing is, I'm a programmer and I have a HUGE library of tech books (Perl, python, ROR, etc) and I LOVE to write in the margins add post it notes and such in the margins. So being able to do something similar on a eReader is a MUST.

I also have no problem with buying eBooks.. In this aspect the kindle store looks better (large selection, smaller prices). The wireless and web-browser is not a concern to me.. I have other gadgets that do that. The ability to tote around 400+ books in the size of a kindle is really appealing to me. I'd hate to have to re buy my tech books, but I'm willing to do so.

However like I said.. I need to be able to annotate and "mark" pages (I assume bookmarks can do this).

So what I need is just a little advice if I should try the Kindle DX or wait till something better comes along.

I know it might seem that I've written off the 700, but really I haven't. I just really have had bad experiences with some touchscreen devices and I type faster on a keyboard (obviously).

Thanks for your comments in advance.
dabates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Have you read about the upcoming Plastic Logic e-reader. If you are willing to wait awhile and buy a more expensive reader, you might be interested. It will read most of your files natively and allows easy markups and annotations. The downside would be that you would not be able to buy Amazon ebooks and you would lose portability. There are several demo videos on the web. Just google Plastic Logic.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
dabates

Thanks toomanybooks.. I'll look it up.. as it is.. I'm stretching my budget for the DX.. however.. the kindle 2 and sony 700 ARE in my budget

I'll check that out, the price of other ebooks (not on amazon) are a little overwhelming.. I found one book for 12$ on amazon and 40$ on another ebook store.. the choice there is obvious.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, dabates.

Is there a store nearby where you can actually play with the 700? That would help a little......

Also, remember than if you buy from Amazon, you have a 30 money back guarantee, and just pay return shipping.

Should give you plenty of time to see if it would be good for you.

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
dabates

Thanks desertgrandma.. Y'all can just call me Dave

There is not a store that has the 700 nearby.. or at least I Can't find one.. I was able to play with the 505.. and that's what got me actually thinking that a eReader is a good idea.

As I'm a software engineer, I get alot of Design and Requirement Docs. Being able to have those on the kindle as well.. wold be awesome.. I Think I read it could read .doc files, but even if not, I'm not opposed to converting them, as long as formatting is maintained.

I've read about the 30 day money back.. and I'm a avid user of that policy at Best Buy
Advert
Old 06-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
dabates

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Have you read about the upcoming Plastic Logic e-reader.
The plastic logic eReader is quite schweet.. seems to have alot of what I like. But according to some videos I've seen.. I probably couldn't afford that one.. but it is very nice.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
dabates

So correct me if I'm wrong here guys, reading up on the kindle some more.. if I want to put my own PDF's or DOC's (from work or whatnot) on the kindle, I have to email it to my "personal" address and they are going to charge me so much per meg?

Is there another way of syncing things to the kindle? (2 or DX)

As well, has anyone had any dealings wiht PDF's on kindle 2?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabates View Post
So correct me if I'm wrong here guys, reading up on the kindle some more.. if I want to put my own PDF's or DOC's (from work or whatnot) on the kindle, I have to email it to my "personal" address and they are going to charge me so much per meg?

Is there another way of syncing things to the kindle? (2 or DX)

As well, has anyone had any dealings wiht PDF's on kindle 2?
I'm pretty sure you can transfer them via USB. I'd say the DX is a good choice for you, if you want to make the best use of those PDFs.

Do you have a Borders near you? They have 700s on display.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
dabates

closest borders is about 2 hours away.. but borders website says there is a WaldenBooks about 1/2 hour away.. not sure if they have it there.. but I'm going to that city this weekend anyway.. so I'll try to stop by..

I'm reading some other online posts talking about using free.kindle.com and some usb transfers.. but the Kindle User Guide doesn't say much about the usb transfers Just talks a lot about whispernet..
Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
closest borders is about 2 hours away.. but borders website says there is a WaldenBooks about 1/2 hour away.. not sure if they have it there.. but I'm going to that city this weekend anyway.. so I'll try to stop by..

I'm reading some other online posts talking about using free.kindle.com and some usb transfers.. but the Kindle User Guide doesn't say much about the usb transfers Just talks a lot about whispernet..
Nah, I doubt they'll have it at Waldenbooks. I'd call ahead at least before you stop by.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #11
dabates

You are correct.. they do not.

The idea of writting on the display like a sort of telestrator or e-paper (the Plastic reader) is interesting.. but I just want to be able to keep notes.. Alot of times in my books.. I note important areas (Flags), write notes of examples I've tried and work (psudeo code) so that I remember when I Come back..

That and pdf's like Iv'e said are important.. I have a DX in my cart.. but now let's go down another road.

How well does PDF support work in 2 vs DX.. I'd much prefer the cheaper of the two who wouldn't. But if I can't read the Text, as in the Sony 505, it's unuseable..
Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Thanks desertgrandma.. Y'all can just call me Dave

I've read about the 30 day money back.. and I'm a avid user of that policy at Best Buy
Dave it is.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote