Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 AM   #61
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Ah yes - reminds me, I am a Nigerian prince who is having to leave the country quickly due to a power struggle. I have inherited my father's millions and have bought 40,000 Kindle DX's with the money. I am prepared to let you have 20,000 of these for 10c each if you will only send me $500,000 for shipping costs.

Please, this is a true story - send the cheque to me made out to Canadian/American Shippage Handling (or CASH for brevity) and I will let you have the Kindle's as soon as I am in America.

Your post made my morning! Rock on!
P.S. I would send you a check but I'm laughing so hard I can't seem to sign it.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #62
Kitten320
Kitten320 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle2
If there is such thing as a side in this discussion I am on Avaloncourt's. I wouldn't touch that deal with a tenfoot pole.
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Promo Publishers, if your business is legit, why didn't you reply to my message saying you would trust me as you are asking others to trust you?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #64
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
So anyhow, I PMed David this morning and asked for the phone number. He really wants us to call him, according to his posts. So, I just wanted to talk to David and see if maybe we could be jumping to the wrong conclusion. (Unlikely, but still, actual human contact is better than internet.) No response.

And here I was, hoping to ask for a free Kindle DX so that I could be sort of a testimonial for his business. David, that offer still stands!

And now moving on .......
Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #65
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just talked with David for a while on the phone. He's a southern boy, you know, suburban Atlanta. He seemed OK to me, but keep in mind that I have this perpetually sunny view of things.

It was a Christian group who were going to buy the Kindles and load them up with Christian literature, such as the Left Behind series, etc. Then sell them for 50% off in order to spread their ministry to digital book bargain hunters, and getting back half of their investment.

I like the idea. However, the problem is that they did not do any research. I think they are mistaking Kindle for Kindle-DX. I don't think they understood that Amazon has a choke-hold on what you can put onto a Kindle and how you distribute them.

I mentioned using the E-Slick as a device, as it is less expensive and would work just as well. I mentioned perhaps approaching a distribution plan that originated in some local churches and seeing how it went. But he says that they have abandoned the idea and moved on.

I wished him well with his ministry, and we said "Good-Bye."
Advert
Old 05-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #66
avaloncourt
Enthusiast
avaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
"Left Behind" isn't exactly unknown/unpublished as he indicated in his posts. Did he have any indication if they even secured permission to electronically redistribute such works? That's a moderately expensive book to begin with. All of them run $12.99 each in electronic format.

I think the lack of research became obvious.

If they're seeking Christian publications you wouldn't know it from his last addition to the website:

Quote:
Attention authors:

The greatly anticipated Kindle DX from Amazon will be released this summer!

How does this help you as an author?

Through our Kindle DX Program, we enable you to gain exposure for your work both efficiently and economically by participating in our unique promo distribution model.

How does the program work?

Aspiring authors participating in our program pay a fee to have their works included in a digital collection which we offer free with each Kindle DX purchased from our site. These fees are used to offer our customers a reduced priced Kindle DX.

So, if you're an author, and you're interested in participating in our program email us for details.
If it were legitimate that would potentially draw the most inquiries from people who had nothing to do with Christian literature.

How exactly did they mistake the standard Kindle for the DX? He had it splashed all over every page of the website. He certainly got the price and the picture right.

The blizzard of spamming while concealing the 'true' reason for the venture and too many inconsistencies prevent me from ever being comfortable with his motives.

Thanks for calling though.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #67
DixieGal
Hi There!

Remember, I'm perpetually sunny and can't help but blindly see the goodness. He sounded to me like just some young guy with an idea but no idea of what to do with the idea. Anyhow, now I'm really moving on... back to the Llounge!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #68
avaloncourt
Enthusiast
avaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Remember, I'm perpetually sunny and can't help but blindly see the goodness. He sounded to me like just some young guy with an idea but no idea of what to do with the idea. Anyhow, now I'm really moving on... back to the Llounge!
It's interesting you should mention "young guy." The person by that name at the Alpharetta address is supposed to be 66 years old.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:49 PM   #69
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
It was a Christian group who were going to buy the Kindles and load them up with Christian literature, such as the Left Behind series, etc. Then sell them for 50% off in order to spread their ministry to digital book bargain hunters, and getting back half of their investment.
And they believed people who had Christian propaganda sprung on them unawares would make good converts? That people who ordered "half price Kindles" wouldn't be upset at the "aspiring authors" who were being promoted on those Kindles?

Quote:
I like the idea. However, the problem is that they did not do any research.
Like, how to get people to read the content on the devices, rather than just delete it all immediately. Or worse.

If I ordered a half-price Kindle, and it showed up loaded with Christian books like the Left Behind series, I wouldn't delete them. I'd crack the DRM so I could MST3K the whole set. I could write Left Behind slash if I had the slightest idea who the characters were, and I'd find much glee in doing so.

I wouldn't *order* such books in order to mock them... but if they were inflicted on me by surprise, I'd have no qualms about doing so.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #70
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
That was pretty nice of DixieGal.

I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Although, I still wouldn't send him any money, and even if it wasn't a scam I could easily see it being ran as a scam -- especially with the pre-loaded Christian literature angle.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #71
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Darn, I was just thinking that the Nigerian scam parody a few posts back was lacking the characteristic attempt to appeal to religious feeling, and then I thought that that was all the Kindle deal needed...and then I thought, nah, let's not give anybody ideas...

(Thanks for adding this chapter to the saga, DixieGal!)

Last edited by wayrad; 05-12-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #72
nicolasqueen
Full Fledged Newbie
nicolasqueen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis; Likebook Mars
http://www.thestandard.com/news/2009...gative-attacks

Quote:
A website that promised half-price Kindle DXs has been shut down after message boards on Amazon.com and MobileRead.com savaged the offer as a "scam" and questioned the purported business model.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 05-13-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: shortened due to copyright
Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 AM   #73
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
The public profile for a David Edenfield at www.fastcompany.com lists him as chairman of a company called Taggerdash, which appears to be Atlanta-based. Here's their website:

http://www.taggerdash.com
Old 05-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #74
avaloncourt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
The public profile for a David Edenfield at www.fastcompany.com lists him as chairman of a company called Taggerdash, which appears to be Atlanta-based. Here's their website:

http://www.taggerdash.com
I see "TaggerDash" uses that same rental condo address as pointed out in page one of this thread.

TaggerDash.com was registered about a week and a half before the domain in this thread. I find it interesting that he used the Atlanta rental condo address to register the TaggerDash domain yet used the Alpharetta address to register the other domain. The phone number used in the registration is an Arizona land line area code.

Just like the other domain name, Taggerdash.com is using the same $4.99 hosting company and he's within the free trial period still for this account as well.

The actual website address for it is: http://taggerdash.homestead.com/

Taggerdash does not have a business registration filing with the Georgia Department of State. The only business on file with a listing for him is Promo Publishers.

He really is the king of spam... for maybe just a court jester. The only reason he registered at Fast Company was to spam an article. On April 29th he registered and inserted three identical spam comments within the same minute to this article:

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-...artphone-plans

I don't know what his mindset is on repeated identical spam but he keeps doing it just like his 109 twitters and the five identical posts here that were deleted by the moderators.

He's no more the chairman of anything than I am the Queen of England.

I can't do a reverse administrative contact search for domain names but a paid service that can gives basic information that he has 13 website names registered. I guess we've found two of them.

Last edited by avaloncourt; 05-13-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #75
Promo Publishers
Promo Publishers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
to avaloncourt

Since you're so interested in me...

I thought I would make your job easy.

visit www.theedenfields.com

Now you won't have to guess anymore about who I am or what I'm about.

Enjoy,
David
Closed Thread