Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-18-2008, 12:32 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't know if it says it anywhere, but it seems pretty clear from the picture that these are silver iLiads.

The flip bar, the upswept top right edge, the characteristic button labels ... and doesn't it look dapper in silver?

Actually, now that I look at it closely, that upsweep is a bit more aggressive than the stock iLiad ... could they have crammed 3G into the thing? Adam, you seemed pretty sure on that point, can you clarify?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 AM   #17
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
It's not built in. You'll need an external 3G USB Modem for it to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
that upsweep is a bit more aggressive than the stock iLiad ... could they have crammed 3G into the thing? Adam, you seemed pretty sure on that point, can you clarify?
They've probably done like most laptop manufacturers do, i.e. taken a normal (albeit naked) 3G USB device and installed it internally.
msundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's certainly possible, but there's not a great deal of extra space in the thing to begin with ... that's what has me wondering.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #19
Mistralain
Zealot
Mistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enough

Device: Booken Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, I must have missed it. Where does it say this will be an iLiad?

BOb
See the video (Hadrien : Video (French): http://orange-innovation.tv/webtv/mo...ang/fr/play/1/). Images aren't in french
It's an Iliad with 3G USB device
Mistralain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 02:48 AM   #20
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistralain View Post
See the video [...] Images aren't in french
It's an Iliad with 3G USB device
The device in the video is not the same as the one in the pictures. For all we know the device in the videos is just one used to demonstrate the possibilities or whatever.

And seeing the iliad in action again made me want to cry because it's so incredibly unresponsive, to the point of being unusable. They really MUST enable immediate (i.e., <100ms) visual feedback when a button is pressed. All that "Did it register my click? Should I poke again? I'll wait.. nope, nothing happens.. I'll poke aga..no, now it changes... I hope it didn't register my second poke so that it'll change again in a second or two." is just horrible to watch.
msundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2008, 06:35 AM   #21
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msundman View Post
And seeing the iliad in action again made me want to cry because it's so incredibly unresponsive, to the point of being unusable. They really MUST enable immediate (i.e., <100ms) visual feedback when a button is pressed. All that "Did it register my click? Should I poke again? I'll wait.. nope, nothing happens.. I'll poke aga..no, now it changes... I hope it didn't register my second poke so that it'll change again in a second or two." is just horrible to watch.
It's the nature of eInk devices. Look it up, it's been discussed 100,000 times already on this forum ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #22
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
About all the things one could wish for the iLiad, I can pretty much life with the current screen refreshes.

One has to consider it much more as "active paper" and move away from the "computer desktop" paradigm we are all so much used at.

If I'd be iRex I'd try to get an iLiad version with a built in 3G instead, as this looks cumbersome for customers (speaking of cumbersome: travelhub ) IMHO they generally should offer more device variants a customers could chose from, ranging from minimal outfit (even without stylus, but a more useable arrow key navigation instead) to super-deluxe-everything-doer.

However gratulations for keeping up the good fight, and try to get some "normal" users to it and also some serious content offerings...

Last edited by axel77; 04-18-2008 at 09:39 AM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #23
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msundman View Post
And seeing the iliad in action again made me want to cry because it's so incredibly unresponsive, to the point of being unusable.
Did I see the same video? Except for one of the screen 'updates', the responsiveness of the iLiad looked perfectly acceptable......

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #24
quchenchen
Digitalpublishing-CN
quchenchen began at the beginning.

Device: phone
it looks great !??
quchenchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #25
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
my heart jumped when i saw a mail from "contact.beta-testeurs" with subject line "Expérimentation Read and go", but sadly i have not been chosen. *snif.*

as a consolation prize they have signed me up for the newsletter though.

did anyone else get some news (possibly better than mine) ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:27 PM   #26
Mistralain
Zealot
Mistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enoughMistralain will become famous soon enough

Device: Booken Cybook
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
my heart jumped when i saw a mail from "contact.beta-testeurs" with subject line "Expérimentation Read and go", but sadly i have not been chosen. *snif.*

as a consolation prize they have signed me up for the newsletter though.

did anyone else get some news (possibly better than mine) ?
I received the same mail today...
Mistralain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #27
planetrobbie
Connoisseur
planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: forgotten a treo 650 for a DR1000 and now for a nook -size does matter
unlucky too

Yep i also received the same negative email But where are the lucky beta testers not here it seems. If a lucky guy come by please arrange a party with your device around, it could be fun !!! for us for sure, you already have it :-)

So because it's the end of this dream (orange) for us, what should we dream about now ?

Last edited by planetrobbie; 05-05-2008 at 06:16 PM.
planetrobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 AM   #28
gnuuurff
Enthusiast
gnuuurff doesn't littergnuuurff doesn't litter

Device: happy new owner of sony prs 505
unlucky too...

sniff... i hope one of my friend to who i have send the link for this dream have more luck than me...
gnuuurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:32 AM   #29
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Independent writes today:

Quote:
Orange to pilot world's first e-news paper next week

The world's first entirely electronic newspapers will go on trial in France next week, offering not only morning headlines but automatic updates every hour throughout the day.

The touch-screen, A5-sized, device uses "ePaper" and "eInk" technology to make it as much like reading normal newsprint as possible. It includes both WiFi and a 3G mobile chip so news can be refreshed every hour during the day, even on the move.

There are already electronic books on the market, notably Amazon's Kindle, which was launched last year but is yet to make it to non-US markets. But Orange's Read&Go is specifically designed to give the same impression as reading a traditional newspaper, including using display technology that paralyses bubbles of ink and is not, like a laptop screen, unreadable in bright sunlight.

The pilot scheme, in partnership with five French newspapers including Le Monde and Les Echos, will run until mid-summer, and could pave the way for a commercial service within a few years.

A key testing ground is the technology itself - including how it stands up to rolling updates from five major content providers and how easy the device is to use.

Orange has also already launched a worldwide call for next-generation flexible electronic paper technology with a view to replacing the rigid tablet being used in the pilot scheme with a more user-friendly format that could potentially be rolled up when not in use.

There are also major questions for the newspapers to answer about how the content is organised compared with a printed paper, and how stories are best laid out or divided according to what works in a smaller, digital format. But Orange insists the device will replicate the printed paper, rather than simply providing mobile access to the paper's online news website.

The business model for a commercial scheme is also under review - including the possibility of a subscription to one or more specific newspapers, or a pay-on-demand account.

But it is the advertising potential that is likely to grab media groups' attention. Printed newspaper circulations have been hard hit by the rise of internet news sites, with ad revenues falling in parallel. And despite considerable investment in websites allied to the national papers, the business model is yet to show a profit. Not only could a successful electronic newspaper device reinvigorate the sector's revenues but it could also open the door to more innovative advertising including interactive or location-sensitive marketing - some of which will be tested by Orange as part of this summer's trial.

Nicki Lyons, an analyst at PricewaterhouseCoopers, said: "Anything that makes content easier to consume will have a significant impact. Newspapers have been quite innovative with the development of content online - they are streets ahead of television companies. There will be a tipping point where that investment starts to pay off."
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #30
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"paralyses bubbles of ink" eh? So that's how it works!
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote