Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
sedition
sedition began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does Kobo Touch work in Asia? One day to decide.

Hi Folks,

I'm sorry to ask for quick responses but I've got about 24hours to decide if I want to keep this Kobo Touch that I just bought from the Future Shop here in BC, Canada.

I live in Taiwan where no descent e-readers are available.

I have been trying to decide between the Kindle 3 or the Kobo Touch for some months now based on forum observations and the good advice from the good folks here.

Prior to coming to Canada, I've played with a friend's Kindle 3 and have a fair idea about what it does.

Now that I'm in Canada for a visit, I've bought the Kobo Touch and I've played with it for some four or five hours I've got to say I'm not entirely impressed.

It seems to work 'ok' I guess and I'd say that the firmware (1,9,9) seems to be pretty stable but I'm not entirely sure why having a touch screen enhances the user experience at all. Seemed like it was much easier to press one button to turn a page then having to swipe the screen.

Also, some of the icons and touch points are so small that I can barely access them (and I've got super small hands -like spinal surgeon hands) so at least a quarter of the time I seem to be pressing the wrong touch points.

The other thing that I sort of liked about the Kindle (realized only after playing with the Kobo) was the portrait mode, or being able to read books with the thing flipped on its side. I didn't imagine it would be an issue, but it is.

All in all the Kobo seems like a good reader but what I'm trying to decide is whether or not to take it back to Taiwan with me or return it and buy a Kindle 3 when I return.

My biggest questions are these:

#1 Can anyone tell me whether or not the Kobo store will work for me in Taiwan? Can seem to find this anywhere.

#2 Can anyone confirm 100% for me that I can use the Amazon / Kindle book store from Taiwan (My friend can access the 'public domain' books from Taiwan but I forgot to ask him if he can actually buy a book from Amazon directly to his device or not -he was too busy re-reading 'Great Expectations')

Thanks for any advice.

I have about 24 hours to take this thing back as I fly out soon.

Cheers
sedition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have no idea if the Kobo store will work in Taiwan. Geographic restrictions suck and exist for all of the book stores. I don't know how easy it is to get around them at the Kobo Store. I know Amazon is easy to circumvent and Barnes and Nobles can be circumvented but you have to work at it a bit more.

I do know that the Kobo is meant to be an international reader but it has not been released across the globe. I believe it is available in the US, Canada, and Australia. There may be other countries that I am not aware of.

The Kindle is sold to Taiwan and that you can buy books using the Amazon store. You will not have full access to the US store but you can circumvent those barriers pretty easily.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
sedition
sedition began at the beginning.

Device: none
@ProfCrash
Thanks, I called the Kobo hotline today and they told me that I should have full access to the Kobo Store in Taiwan.

Cheers
sedition is offline   Reply With Quote