Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #16
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I agree, the Nook HD and HD+ are superior devices and the prices, especially if you can get them on sale, are too good to ignore. I've bought the HD+ 32gb, the HD 16gb snow, and the HD 8gb recently. (The 8gb is only for reading-and it was only $99!).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I own a Nook HD+ and a new Nexus 7 and far as I'm concerned, the Nexus blows the Nook away, as both a reading device and a tablet. If budget is not a concern, I totally recommend the new Nexus 7. Have all your book apps easily, no root required. It's a total pleasure to read on because of the sharp crisp text.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
Anagnostis
Anagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW/PW2 - Kobo Aura HD -iPad 3
Just keep in mind, that if you want to use Amazon instant videoservice ,there is no android app.
Anagnostis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagnostis View Post
Just keep in mind, that if you want to use Amazon instant videoservice ,there is no android app.
There are workarounds, e.g. Puffin browser.

I think Amazon will ship an instant video app for Android (other than the one that is currently available for certain smart TVs), maybe a few months after the new Fires ship. Android is too big a platform to ignore.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #20
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagnostis View Post
Not an issue for me, I don't watch video on my tablet, other than an occasional one from YouTube. Though I did sideload Flash and it seems to be working with Dolphin browser.

Actually, having just been to see "Gone with the Wind" on the big screen, it's just hard to imagine ever watching a regular movie on a tablet at all. I've seen the movie on TV, big screen blows everything else out of the water. I guess I'm old school.

Still loving the new Nexus, hooked up my bluetooth headphones yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised by how good my music sounded.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #21
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post

Actually, having just been to see "Gone with the Wind" on the big screen, it's just hard to imagine ever watching a regular movie on a tablet at all. I've seen the movie on TV, big screen blows everything else out of the water. I guess I'm old school.
Just out of curiosity, isn't distance from the screen just as important as screen size? I could be watching a 60" TV but if I'm 60 feet away that would make for a pretty small picture. Is there much difference between a 50" TV that's 10 feet away from your face and a 10" tablet that's 1 foot away from your face?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There are workarounds, e.g. Puffin browser.
True, but amazon will only stream standard definition through browsers.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
I've been using my Nexus 7 for a year now and I'm very happy with it.
I like being able to get instant system upgrades and access to their complete and open app store.
To be honest, I've never actually used any kind of Kindle but I don't think I'd ever want to. Their "walled garden" approach scares me, as it does with any Apple product. I have a strong aversion to any kind of restrictions for marketing purposes. I like my devices to serve my agenda, not someone else's.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #24
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
With Xmas fast approaching, and a raise on the way along with anticipated xmas cash, I expect to take the plunge soon.

Leaning heavily Nexus 7, but any other thoughts on Android tablet choices, feel free to chime in.

My question: is there much difference or any advantage to buying from a particular retailer or from Google directly? Price for new, current, in-box units seems consistent across the board, so price doesn't seem to be a factor.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #25
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Get the 2013 Nexus 7, no question about it. Fast, beautiful, and so slim and light!
Old 12-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #26
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I also like the nook hd+. This is the first tablet that I actually like reading on. I also use it to watch movies and have never had any issues with performance. I never needed to root the device and I have Kobo,Amazon, BN, Mantano Reader, Coolreader and so on installed.I have not found any apps to be incompatable or uninstallable.(no rooting required) Micro sd card slot for easy expansion. Compared to other tablet prices...you can buy a case and have enough money left over to purchase several books. I have played around with other tablets at our local best buy and find no need to stray from the hd+. I guess I am just not that particular. If someone would produce a tablet could have near three days battery life on a single charge.... THAT would get me to switch!

Last edited by mystika1; 12-05-2013 at 09:53 AM.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #27
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My hesitation with the NOOK HD, other than B&N's uncertain future & execrable support, is the software updates, or more pointedly, lack of them.

HD is built over a base of Android 4.03 (circa 2011). As much as I love my existing NOOK ST (and before that the N1E), B&N's track record with providing software updates is not great. Their track record in addressing actual customer requests and issues in updates, when they do come, is even less so. I'm still amazed they finally heard the clamor to open it up to the Google Play Store.

Nexus is running JellyBean or KitKat, and as a Google device is likely to stay fairly current on software updates up through the limitations of the hardware.

Though I gotta say the recent sale on Nook HD had me tempted.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #28
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
My hesitation with the NOOK HD, other than B&N's uncertain future & execrable support, is the software updates, or more pointedly, lack of them.

HD is built over a base of Android 4.03 (circa 2011). As much as I love my existing NOOK ST (and before that the N1E), B&N's track record with providing software updates is not great. Their track record in addressing actual customer requests and issues in updates, when they do come, is even less so. I'm still amazed they finally heard the clamor to open it up to the Google Play Store.

Nexus is running JellyBean or KitKat, and as a Google device is likely to stay fairly current on software updates up through the limitations of the hardware.

Though I gotta say the recent sale on Nook HD had me tempted.
If you plan to stick with the device's stock OS (aka ROM), go with the Nexus.

If you're open to flashing/using custom ROM, go with HD (or even HD+) -- it's much better value for the money especially at its recent fantastic sale prices.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #29
RHWright
Addict

Pulled the trigger on the Nexus this week & I'm loving it. All the flavors of reader apps I want.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #30
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Pulled the trigger on the Nexus this week & I'm loving it. All the flavors of reader apps I want.
Awesome! So nice to be able to put wallpaper of your own choosing on, isn't it?