Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-25-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
imhotep
imhotep began at the beginning.

Device: Calibro Tuch Lux
I lost my library

Hi everyone,
After begining to use Calibre, i restart my computer. When i start the program the library was gone. I checked the home folder. It is existing in the right place! Switch to folder is also correct.
What can i do? What is the problem?
imhotep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:08 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Use Switch library (on the toolbar dropdown by Library) to re-select your library.

If it isn't being remembered, perhaps there is something wrong with your %APPDATA%

Do other settings persist? Say, which panels are active, your toolbar, installed plugins, etc.?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
imhotep

When i try to switch again i get that error: "The location D:/... contains the current calibre library"
Other settings seems to be normal.
After my first post, 58 books of my library have come. Why that 58? What about other hundreds?
Old 11-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhotep View Post
When i try to switch again i get that error: "The location D:/... contains the current calibre library"
Other settings seems to be normal.
After my first post, 58 books of my library have come. Why that 58? What about other hundreds?
You are trying to CREATE a new Library or use EXISTING?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #5
imhotep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You are trying to CREATE a new Library or use EXISTING?
I am trying to use existing one. I haven't try to create a new one.
Advert
Old 11-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am trying to use existing one. I haven't try to create a new one.
The warning usually appears if you try and create a Library in a non-empty folder.
It could mean that you are trying to switch to where you already ARE.

only 85 books out of many
1)You are not on your 'original' Library. search your computer for metadata.db
2)You have a filter or VL active (filter:you will see a big red - near the search bar)
3)the db is in error. Open the Library folder with the OS (Explorer). You should see many author folders Those folders contain 1 or more title folders. Do you see lots more than 85 titles?
4) you did something wrong and deleted the books
Old 11-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
imhotep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The warning usually appears if you try and create a Library in a non-empty folder.
It could mean that you are trying to switch to where you already ARE.

only 85 books out of many
1)You are not on your 'original' Library. search your computer for metadata.db
2)You have a filter or VL active (filter:you will see a big red - near the search bar)
3)the db is in error. Open the Library folder with the OS (Explorer). You should see many author folders Those folders contain 1 or more title folders. Do you see lots more than 85 titles?
4) you did something wrong and deleted the books
1) No, i am on my original library. I checked metadata.db
2) I've no filter.
3-4) I can see folders in explorer. All my books are there. There are 1198 author folders
Old 11-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Try Library (toolbar icon) ==> Library Maintenance ==> Check Library, you should probably see a bunch of "extra" folders.

Use Restore database to rebuild the metadata.db from the contents of the library folders.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

I concur. Time for the built in 'rebuild' option
DO NOT attempt any form of ADD BOOKS at this stage. You will damage chances of a full recovery
Old 11-26-2014, 03:21 AM   #10
imhotep

No solution.
I am rebuilding my library
Thanks for your helps.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:25 AM   #11
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
I use calibre to make my own ePubs from various sources. Once the ePub is finished, I remove it from calibre, and manually copy to the eReaders and to a location I use for archival purposes.

This way I have a full control of what's happening and if something goes wrong there is only one solution (copy back from archival media) and one offender, ME and only ME.

I don't know calibre, but my lifetime experience with software told me that almost every software has issues with long lists, and also make my life difficult in finding a certain book among 2000 others, even with filters and selections and stuff.

Keeping the things simple is one of my life commandments.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:30 AM   #12
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I use calibre to make my own ePubs from various sources. Once the ePub is finished, I remove it from calibre, and manually copy to the eReaders and to a location I use for archival purposes.

This way I have a full control of what's happening and if something goes wrong there is only one solution (copy back from archival media) and one offender, ME and only ME.

I don't know calibre, but my lifetime experience with software told me that almost every software has issues with long lists, and also make my life difficult in finding a certain book among 2000 others, even with filters and selections and stuff.

Keeping the things simple is one of my life commandments.
There should be absolutely no issue with Calibre provided that you don't panic. Whilst Calibre uses a database, the books and metadata are themselves stored in a folder structure. Even if the database is totally corrupted, it can be rebuilt from the folder structure. I understand your caution, but have difficulty in seeing how it is easier to find a certain book amongst thousands using your system than the Calibre Database or even in the folder structure itself, which is arranged by authors name.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:08 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Calibre is pretty fast at searches. It would be faster using Calibre to find what you want then doing a file search among thousands of files.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:40 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Use Restore database to rebuild the metadata.db from the contents of the library folders.

Quote:
No solution.
I am rebuilding my library
Thanks for your helps.
Eschwartz provided a solution above. Hopefully you are using the Restore database feature to rebuild your library's database as suggested.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 11-26-2014 at 05:43 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
imhotep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Eschwartz provided a solution above. Hopefully you are using the Restore database feature to rebuild your library's database as suggested.
Restore db didn't solve the problem.