Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Aqua-Andy
Aqua-Andy began at the beginning.

Device: nook simple touch
Nook Glow Light keeps freezing

My wife and I both have a Nook Glow light (the newest one) and they keep freezing on us. When the problem happens you have to force it to shut down then when it starts back up it goes back to the page it was on the last time it shut down normally. Anyone else having this issue? B&N does not have any updates yet.
Aqua-Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
You could try a master clear, in Settings, under Device Info, there is an option "erase and deregister".

If after that it still shows problems, you may want to look into getting a replacement.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Andy View Post
My wife and I both have a Nook Glow light (the newest one) and they keep freezing on us. When the problem happens you have to force it to shut down then when it starts back up it goes back to the page it was on the last time it shut down normally. Anyone else having this issue? B&N does not have any updates yet.
I've only got mine yesterday.
So far, not a single freeze - as I'd expect (and hope for) with any reader.
If only one of your readers would be freezing, I'd claim "Monday unit".
But both?
Could it be a specific content? Something not quite compatible? Any sideloads?
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
My wife and I both have a Nook Glow light (the newest one) and they keep freezing on us.
I bought mine the first week of November and it has frozen on me I guess about 5 or 6 times. I read a couple of hours most days I read but I don't read every day. If I read more often it's possible it would freeze more often. I considered returning it but I'm concerned I'll get a refurbished unit with other issues.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Hey mgmueller, didn't expect to see you getting back into dedicated readers.
Advert
Old 01-31-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Hey mgmueller, didn't expect to see you getting back into dedicated readers.
Me neither.
But the backlit made it for me: Kobo Aura HD (ugly as hell, but a great bookstore), Kindle Paperwhite (I really love those Kindles) and now Nook GlowLight.
I think about a last backlit one for ePUBs, Tolino Shine for example.
I could side load my ePUBs onto Kobo or Nook, but I don't want to mix sources...
Old 01-31-2014, 12:42 PM   #7
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Do you live near a B&N where you can take it in? Otherwise I'd call their customer service. Either something is wrong or you got two bad units, which at first seemed weird to me but if you bought them at the same time they might have been made one after the other and could be from a bad batch.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Me neither.
But the backlit made it for me: Kobo Aura HD (ugly as hell, but a great bookstore), Kindle Paperwhite (I really love those Kindles) and now Nook GlowLight.
I think about a last backlit one for ePUBs, Tolino Shine for example.
I could side load my ePUBs onto Kobo or Nook, but I don't want to mix sources...
My wife has a couple of Kindles. I stick with the nooks because there are a lot more places that has epub. This is only my second ereader, I still have the original nook. Beside the occasional freezing the only real issue I have with the new glow light is how dark the background is on the screen without the light on. So I leave the light on all the time. Also I thought by getting rid of the clip-on light I had on the nook classic would be less of a disturbance to my wife when I read in bed at night. But even turned down low it generates significant light in the bedroom. The memory size is not an issue for me because there will always be enough space for all the books I buy since I don't buy them by the thousands. And page turn buttons so I could turn pages with one hand would be nice too but I've got use to the touch screen.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Aqua-Andy

I called B&N about this and they claimed they have not heard any complaints about this particular issue (this was before my wife's started freezing). The rep at B&N suggested I bring the unit into the store and see what they have to say. At the store I was told they have also not seen any issues with the new nook glow lights yet and gave me a new replacement. Yes, when I first posted it was with my new nook I was having the freezing issues with. This makes three units with the same problem, so it is ether my house or the product it self. I side load all my books and my wife purchases from B&N exclusively so it I would think this rules out the computer they were hooked to or the loading method.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #10
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
I called B&N about this and they claimed they have not heard any complaints about this particular issue
Well mine occasionally freezes also so you are not alone. It seems like when someone complains to a company about an issue with their product they insist they are not aware of it. I'm sure you and I are not the only New Nook Glowlight owners with that problem. The nearest B&N to me is over 50 miles one way so taking mine there is out of the question. I have been putting up with mine freezing but I think before it gets worst I will bring it to B&N's attention. I'll call Monday and let you know what they say. Too busy getting ready for my Superbowl party to bother with it now.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
karen.shelburn
karen.shelburn began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight
My nook glowlight would jump forward 20 pages while I was reading then I couldnt go back. If I tried to go back it just went further forward. Then I could't turn it off or go to the main screen either; the pages went forward no matter what I did. I plugged it in and that did not help so I unplugged it. Then it worked fine again, for 2 days. I went through this for weeks before taking it back to B&N. They deregistered it and reregistered it and sent me home. The next day the problem was back. This time B&N let me exchange it. That was 5 weeks ago. Now my second one is doing the same thing only worse. When I plug it in to fix it the screen goes black until I turn it off. Then I have no books in my currently reading area. It also archives books on its own. I will not own a third. This one is going back and I will try a different model nook. If I have issues again I will switch to a kindle!
karen.shelburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:30 AM   #12
Aqua-Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen.shelburn View Post
My nook glowlight would jump forward 20 pages while I was reading then I couldnt go back. If I tried to go back it just went further forward. Then I could't turn it off or go to the main screen either; the pages went forward no matter what I did. I plugged it in and that did not help so I unplugged it. Then it worked fine again, for 2 days. I went through this for weeks before taking it back to B&N. They deregistered it and reregistered it and sent me home. The next day the problem was back. This time B&N let me exchange it. That was 5 weeks ago. Now my second one is doing the same thing only worse. When I plug it in to fix it the screen goes black until I turn it off. Then I have no books in my currently reading area. It also archives books on its own. I will not own a third. This one is going back and I will try a different model nook. If I have issues again I will switch to a kindle!
Sorry to hear this. Your issue is very close to the problems we are having. I like the device but the software issues are starting to get to me also.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
So far, not a single freeze - as I'd expect (and hope for) with any reader....
Now, 2 months later, still not a single freeze.
But I'd be surprised, if it would have frozen.
I'm only doing the most basic stuff with the Nook GlowLight: Having downloaded my library once and now reading maybe 4 books per month on it. If such simple task (and the main purpose of any reader anyway) would generate freezes and crashes, I'd be highly frustrated. Since I've got 3 backlit readers anyway (Paperwhite 2, Aura HD, Nook GlowLight), I simply wouldn't switch between all 3 but forget about the unreliable one.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:37 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I can't speak for the Nook Glowlight, but in general e-readers are delicate blossoms and will crash at the slightest thing in a book they don't like. I suggest checking the possible book problem first. You could convert your books through calibre and sideload them. If that fixes your problem, you have your answer.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #15
Aqua-Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I can't speak for the Nook Glowlight, but in general e-readers are delicate blossoms and will crash at the slightest thing in a book they don't like. I suggest checking the possible book problem first. You could convert your books through calibre and sideload them. If that fixes your problem, you have your answer.
My wife only reads books downloaded from B&N, I only read books from the library or other free books that are side loaded through Calibre (ya I'm cheep). We both have the same problem with freezing. I never had an issue with my old ST freezing nor has my wife with her first edition Nook. The common denominator here is the GL.