Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Wallander Fans

Hi all,

Currently on book 7 of the Wallander series and have to say I am enjoying them immensely.

Quick question; is Before The Frost a stand-alone novel or is it a tie-in to the series? Heard conflicting opinions.

Thanks!
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
It's a tie-in. The main character is Kurt Wallander's daughter, but he's there a bit as a supporting character. Mostly it's her story though.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
As a Swede I'm curious what it is about Wallander that appeals to non-Swedes. For me it was that I could instantly relate to all the settings (live 30 minutes from Ystad), every scene was extremely clear in my mind, and I began to read the books while living in Japan, so there was probably a smidgen of home sickness attached as well.

However, if you live in the Bristol or Toronto I imagine that Ystad doesn't evoke any concrete images. Hence, there must be something else.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 AM   #4
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Here! *raises hand* I read them all. And re-read them. And re-bought after an Alf-proof DRM reader crashed.
I like those books because I like the character. And he is human. Not perfect, with his doubts and mistakes. And I like criminal stories. And it is fun to imagine all those streets, places and people. Isn't is what reading is also about? Imagining what you read about?
Funny enough, I like to read them but I have yet to see tv series of Wallander which doesn't bore me to death. Even Kenneth Brannagh didn't help.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
It's a tie-in. The main character is Kurt Wallander's daughter, but he's there a bit as a supporting character. Mostly it's her story though.
Thanks! Would it hurt to leave Before The Frost until the end? Or before The Troubled Man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
As a Swede I'm curious what it is about Wallander that appeals to non-Swedes. For me it was that I could instantly relate to all the settings (live 30 minutes from Ystad), every scene was extremely clear in my mind, and I began to read the books while living in Japan, so there was probably a smidgen of home sickness attached as well.

However, if you live in the Bristol or Toronto I imagine that Ystad doesn't evoke any concrete images. Hence, there must be something else.
I'm from Bristol, England. Like Chi Cygni below, I like the character, Wallander, and Mankell's writing (albeit am reading the translations) draws me in. The Fifth Woman, for me, was very emotionally draining and had more twists and turns than a helter skelter. I loved that.

In February 2013, I am going to Copenhagen for 3 days and hopefully travel to Ystad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Here! *raises hand* I read them all. And re-read them. And re-bought after an Alf-proof DRM reader crashed.
I like those books because I like the character. And he is human. Not perfect, with his doubts and mistakes. And I like criminal stories. And it is fun to imagine all those streets, places and people. Isn't is what reading is also about? Imagining what you read about?
Funny enough, I like to read them but I have yet to see tv series of Wallander which doesn't bore me to death. Even Kenneth Brannagh didn't help.
You found the tv series boring? I have yet to see any of them yet but itching to watch them (English and Swedish) now after reading the books.

Last edited by stop__dreaming; 09-04-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop__dreaming View Post

You found the tv series boring? I have yet to see any of them yet but itching to watch them (English and Swedish) now after reading the books.
Yes, boring indeed. All that inner stream of thoughts and how he feels is gone. How are you going to film it? Kenneth Brannagh looking through the window? It dragged impossibly and there was no tension in the film, for me at least. Neither in English nor Swedish version. I tried but gave up. Plus, I have my own view on how the characters look and the actors don't match. These are not the correct faces! There are several actors whom I cannot detach so to speak from their own personality. When I see Brannagh it doesn't matter who he plays, it is him dressed up but still Brannagh. He is not credible. I know he's good and all Shakespeare and all that but it is him no matter what the role.

One step behind, I think it is my favourite!
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
lookup
Connoisseur
lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: epub reader :D
Currently reading the white lioness so far its been a real intresting series
lookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:46 AM   #8
stop__dreaming
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
Yes, boring indeed. All that inner stream of thoughts and how he feels is gone. How are you going to film it? Kenneth Brannagh looking through the window? It dragged impossibly and there was no tension in the film, for me at least. Neither in English nor Swedish version. I tried but gave up. Plus, I have my own view on how the characters look and the actors don't match. These are not the correct faces! There are several actors whom I cannot detach so to speak from their own personality. When I see Brannagh it doesn't matter who he plays, it is him dressed up but still Brannagh. He is not credible. I know he's good and all Shakespeare and all that but it is him no matter what the role.

One step behind, I think it is my favourite!
That's a shame.

I may rent the first one, Sidetracked, and see how I get on with that before proceeding. I was going to get the boxset on Blu-Ray. Best to test it out first.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks! Would it hurt to leave Before The Frost until the end? Or before The Troubled Man?

I'm from Bristol, England. Like Chi Cygni below, I like the character, Wallander, and Mankell's writing (albeit am reading the translations) draws me in. The Fifth Woman, for me, was very emotionally draining and had more twists and turns than a helter skelter. I loved that.

In February 2013, I am going to Copenhagen for 3 days and hopefully travel to Ystad.

The tourist office in Ystad offers "Wallander walks", if you're a fan you might enjoy that.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #10
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I liked both the English and Swedish TV series.

I've only read the first two books (but I've got all of them).

I found the character of Wallander to be very different from what I'm used to. This to me adds something a bit different from the usual "Maverick Cop" character I find in a lot of crime fiction. Totally enjoyable because of that.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Newer titles

I don't know how many titles are available in English.
Here are some of Henning Mankell's latest books, with my personal translation of the title. Wonder if they are available in translation.

Pyramiden (The Pyramid) Wallander 1999
Tea Bag not Wallander 2002
Memory of a Dirty Angel (Minnet av en smutsig ängel) not Wallander 2011
The China Man (Kinesen) not Wallander 2008
Italian Shoes (Italienska skor) not Wallander 2006
Depth (Djup) not Wallander 2004
The Worrier (Den orolige mannen) Wallander 2009
Old 09-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
lookup
Connoisseur
lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.lookup inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: epub reader :D
I know theres a translation of the pyramad but havent seen the warrior around
lookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #13
stop__dreaming
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
The tourist office in Ystad offers "Wallander walks", if you're a fan you might enjoy that.
Yeah, that's exactly why I'd like to visit. My fiancee isn't so sure and said we won't have enough time to go to 'Wallander-land".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I liked both the English and Swedish TV series.

I've only read the first two books (but I've got all of them).

I found the character of Wallander to be very different from what I'm used to. This to me adds something a bit different from the usual "Maverick Cop" character I find in a lot of crime fiction. Totally enjoyable because of that.
Hello fellow Bristolian

If you enjoyed the first two books, then there's no reason why you won't enjoy the rest. It gets better in my opinion.

Totally agree. Sometimes I feel really sorry for the guy and other times, I want to tell him off for being so harsh to other people, haha.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly why I'd like to visit. My fiancee isn't so sure and said we won't have enough time to go to 'Wallander-land".

There is an old regiment on the outskirts of Ystad, they have turned some of that over to film studios, that is where they shoot the Wallander series for both BBC and Swedish TV, you can also visit them. If you're lucky they might be filming while you're there.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #15
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Hello fellow Bristolian

If you enjoyed the first two books, then there's no reason why you won't enjoy the rest. It gets better in my opinion.

Totally agree. Sometimes I feel really sorry for the guy and other times, I want to tell him off for being so harsh to other people, haha.
Alright my luvver. Wallander's gert lush. (Don't get a chance to converse in Bristolian, so couldn't resist it).

Well if the rest are as good as the first two, then I'm going to enjoy them. Got a holiday coming up, might see how many I can read then.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote