Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #1
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: benQ
Vertical text alignment OCR

Can the OCR of "Microsoft Office Document Imaging" work on vertical text alignment ?
bookmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
You can change text orientation in Microsoft Word, yes. And you can also OCR vertical text using ABBYY FineReader. It's really not that difficult. Have you tried Google yet?
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
bookmeal
Connoisseur
bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.bookmeal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Yes, I did lots of searches.

But I just want to know if Microsoft can OCR vertical text alignment.

edit:
I just want to know if "Microsoft Office Document Imaging" can OCR on vertical text alignment ?

Last edited by bookmeal; 11-11-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Microsoft themselves won't OCR text for you.

However, you could rotate images before OCR-ing them.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
bookmeal
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpider View Post
Microsoft themselves won't OCR text for you.

However, you could rotate images before OCR-ing them.
I mean by "Can the OCR of "Microsoft Office Document Imaging" work on vertical text alignment ? "

um....the text are aligned vertically, so it's won't make a difference if you rotate the image.

vertical text alignment:

h
a
p
p
y

b
i
r
t
h
d
a
y

Thank you
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
DSpider
Evangelist

I don't think I've ever used "Microsoft Office Document Imaging". But then again, I never install the full Office suite.

I think you're asking about vertical writing (Japanese comes to mind). Vertical alignment usually looks like this:

...which is very easy to OCR. For text written like that... well, I don't think many books (or sections of books) are written that way so it shouldn't be too much of a bother to add it manually.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
bookmeal
Connoisseur

Quote:
I don't think I've ever used "Microsoft Office Document Imaging". But then again, I never install the full Office suite.
They do have OCR, found that out onilne.

Quote:
I think you're asking about vertical writing (Japanese comes to mind).
yes.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
bookmeal
Connoisseur

Got a scanner.

Tried, didn't work, may be I am using English version of Window 7 ?