Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Are all K3s created equal?

I just got my replacement K3 and the screen is noticeably darker/yellower than my old one...as in the contrast is not as good.

I really don't want to bother with another replacement.

But when I turned on the replacement, I immediately noticed the difference. Does the screen improve in contrast or get "whiter" over time?

Yep, the left side of the screen is noticeably darker than the right. WTH AMAZON? Ugh.

Last edited by vega07; 12-15-2010 at 03:20 AM.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
I had a similar experience.

After noticing that the battery of my new Kindle was draining rapidly during the first few weeks I owned it, I phoned Amazon CS, and they sent a replacement. The new screen was much darker (and the contrast poorer) than my first Kindle's. On top of the screen issue, the replacement also had the dreaded 'rattle', so I just decided to keep my original Kindle and live with the battery issue.

I sent the replacement back the same day it arrived.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 04:08 AM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I got a replacement as well, but I didn't have any choice of keeping the old one....was completely and totally stuck.
The replacement works smoother than my original Kindle and has the same quality of screen and doesn't give me any trouble at all.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
hal2814
Connoisseur
hal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it ishal2814 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
I had the opposite happen when they replaced my Kindle 2. The original screen was OK, but when I got the replacement in the screen was fantastic.
hal2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
scenox
scenox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Apparently you need some luck on your side to get a good Kindle. Differences in contrast are hard to recognize without comparison, so most people will accept it without a word of protest.

But when you have a comparison and think that the replacement is worse, get another replacement!
scenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
In theory they should all be very similar but the eInk display seems to have quite a bit of manufacturing variation. There is a chip on the eInk display which stores calibration data that is specific for that display so just going by the fact that they need that and it isn't generic means its not a very precise process.

That said, the operation of the eInk display is very dependant on the firmware as well. One of the early K3 firmware releases caused the display to be very susceptible to temperature changes and high temperatures would cause excessive slowdown during refresh. They fixed or at least significantly reduced this issue in a later update.

As for the other issues like rattling and excessive battery consumption, those seem more like faults tho. If it isn't how you expect it to be then you should definitely talk to Kindle CS and see what they can do.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
gca3020
gca3020 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
I had a similar experience.

After noticing that the battery of my new Kindle was draining rapidly during the first few weeks I owned it, I phoned Amazon CS, and they sent a replacement. The new screen was much darker (and the contrast poorer) than my first Kindle's. On top of the screen issue, the replacement also had the dreaded 'rattle', so I just decided to keep my original Kindle and live with the battery issue.

I sent the replacement back the same day it arrived.
Any chance your battery issue was simply a problem indexing a bunch of content? I know I was terribly disappointed in battery life for the first few days I owned it. Since then, after it finished indexing the hundred or so books I dropped on it (and turning 3G off when I'm not using it) I've had fantastic battery performance.
gca3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
stevenjotello
stevenjotello began at the beginning.

Device: none
Apparently you need a little luck on their side to get a good Kindle. Exchange differences are difficult to recognize, without comparison, most people will accept without a word of protest.
stevenjotello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would not keep a faulty product. Call back and return the replacement. You should be getting a Kindle that works as advertised. That means proper battery life and a screen with amazing contrast.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I've seen people posting that they've replaced their k3s 4-5 times. If you are not happy with the replacement - replace it again!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #11
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Just go for the replacement. Since Amazon does cross-shipment on replacements, you can compare the two before sending the old one off.

If you do - take a picture and post it here.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #12
WalkingDistance
Connoisseur
WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!WalkingDistance is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Well when I had mine replaced, the screens were about the same. I feel like the real inconsistency is how they snap the front and back together. I have ridges (on both the old and the new) where the snap wasn't quite flush. So i have ridges hanging out from both the old and the new kindle.

But my old kindle had a functioning error where it reset all the time and had something physically loose and rattling inside so my new one was a huge improvement.
WalkingDistance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneD View Post
I've seen people posting that they've replaced their k3s 4-5 times. If you are not happy with the replacement - replace it again!
I absolutely agree.

Like someone mentioned, the battery thing may have been due to adding a large collection to the new device and having it indexing. If that is the case, it should have correct itself.

A K3 as it should be is a beautiful thing and I would ask for a replacement of anything less.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I looked real hard with a magnifying glass to see wether my replacement-Kindle had been used and if they sent me a refurbished one. But I didn't notice wear or tear and it works even better as the original worked in the beginning.
I was happy; as they also sent that replacement to me well within a week from overseas (end of November).
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
scenox
scenox began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjotello View Post
Apparently you need a little luck on their side to get a good Kindle. Exchange differences are difficult to recognize, without comparison, most people will accept without a word of protest.
Thank you for repeating my words
scenox is offline   Reply With Quote