Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Question Cleaning Collections between devices

Hello:

I am trying to cleanup my collections between my various devices. It was my understanding if the collection exists on the device, then when an import is completed from another device it will just put the books in the pre-existing collection. However I am finding that another collection is created with an "@en" added to the end of the name. I have been using the collections feature since it's inception, I have many devices that have changed over the years as well as the naming conventions which I use. Can you tell me how I can clean up my collections so that I can get only my currently active collections and collections books are imported between my various devices? How do I get rid of collections that are no longer on the device? I want my home desktop kindle for pc device to be the device collections are imported from, but when I import from that one, the USci and the Laptop K4PC device it is still importing collection names that are not on the device.

Anyone have any ideas how to clean up these devices??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Sadly, each device has its own set of collections and they are not kept in sync with each other. You can import from one to the other but it is not the same as sync That may change with the advent of 'Cloud Collections' announced as part of Fire launch. Let's hope so.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
My KK 2009, PW 2012 and PW 2013 all have separately created collections. Same with my Kindle4PC.

My Kindle Fire HD cannot create collections. How are they imported or compared one to another? Will the HDX have collections?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Android/iOS Kindle apps don't support collections, so I doubt it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
I called kindle's customer service about this awhile back and apparently there is NO way to delete old collections. Not even Amazon techs can delete them
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Android/iOS Kindle apps don't support collections, so I doubt it.
The iOS Kindle app recently added collections. And I put some books in collections on Kindle for Mac, and I can see those collections on my phone. I didn't do anything to move them over.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
The iOS Kindle app recently added collections. And I put some books in collections on Kindle for Mac, and I can see those collections on my phone. I didn't do anything to move them over.

eP
That must be a recent change - thanks for the information.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
I called kindle's customer service about this awhile back and apparently there is NO way to delete old collections. Not even Amazon techs can delete them
I hope this is not true. Yesterday I had two separate chats with CS reps with different issues related to collections. The first rep said that it was impossible along with the fact that there was no way to remove two defective devices from my import list. The second rep was more helpful and he was sending my information to the techs to see if he could have them wipe out all the collections on my devices in order for me to start over. He said he would get back to me within a few days if this was possible or not.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Sadly, each device has its own set of collections and they are not kept in sync with each other. You can import from one to the other but it is not the same as sync That may change with the advent of 'Cloud Collections' announced as part of Fire launch. Let's hope so.
I understand this part and it is the import that is causing me problems. Unfortunately I have a lot of old collections lingering on their servers that I no longer use and are no longer on the device(s) that I am importing from but they keep showing up during the import. It is these I would like to get rid of so that when I import I am only importing collections that are actually on the device. One of the reps I spoke with yesterday said I had to first remove all the books from the collection and then remove the collection. But I don't think he was understanding me, how do I remove books from a collection that is not visible anywhere but on their servers?

EDIT: Hmmm, this cloud collections does look like it will collections for the Fire, which means one more device I will have that it is out of sync. But with that feature I will be adding more books to my Fire, so Yay to that. I am almost tempted to upgrade to the Fire HDX, I think I will start hinting to the hubby and/or son that I want one for Christmas.

Last edited by nynaevelan; 10-03-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #10
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
he was sending my information to the techs to see if he could have them wipe out all the collections on my devices in order for me to start over. He said he would get back to me within a few days if this was possible or not.
I hope you get a response from tech support faster than I have. I logged a problem with Instant Video in July (the free ep I got was no longer available, but the site won't let me delete the season from my library because no eps exist). I have logged the same problem six times now, and it's a repeating problem as I now have two shows with the same error. Customer Service reps have been nice enough when I chat with them, but they have to keep bumping it up to tech support to fix. As of October 3rd, I have gotten no response on progress or corrective actions taken by tech support
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyFDR View Post
I hope you get a response from tech support faster than I have. I logged a problem with Instant Video in July (the free ep I got was no longer available, but the site won't let me delete the season from my library because no eps exist). I have logged the same problem six times now, and it's a repeating problem as I now have two shows with the same error. Customer Service reps have been nice enough when I chat with them, but they have to keep bumping it up to tech support to fix. As of October 3rd, I have gotten no response on progress or corrective actions taken by tech support
I hope it doesn't take that long to have an answer. I am hoping Amazon will eventually give users the ability to manage and/or delete Collections on the Manage Your Kindle page. These things are becoming very cumbersome, especially for users who have been using them for several years and have changed their naming conventions. And don't get me started on not being able to remove defective devices from your account because they still have collections on them. I understand users register and de-register devices from their account occasionally but there should be an option to completely remove a device from your account for good. I can only imagine the list some users have who had several defective paperwhites last year.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
That must be a recent change - thanks for the information.
Yes, when they updated Kindle for iOS last week they added Collections too.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Unfortunately I have a lot of old collections lingering on their servers that I no longer use and are no longer on the device(s) that I am importing from but they keep showing up during the import.
When I imported my Collections to Kindle for iOS I saw Collections from devices I no longer own. I do hope Amazon gets off its backside and fixes this, but I doubt they will. They seldom listen to our requests.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes, when they updated Kindle for iOS last week they added Collections too.
Thank you - VERY recent, in that case! Sounds like I need to upgrade the Kindle App on my iPad. Good thing, too - it certainly took them long enough to add collection support.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Thank you - VERY recent, in that case! Sounds like I need to upgrade the Kindle App on my iPad. Good thing, too - it certainly took them long enough to add collection support.
Yes, and it was such a nice surprise as I wasn't expecting to ever get Collections in the iOS apps.