Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #1
mikos
mikos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
problem with .chm to .mobi conversion

Hi,
I've get a problem when i'm trying to convert .chm to .mobi(or .epub). After conversion I receive only table of contents with working links to pages like "preface", "introduction". The whole book content is missing.

Please give me some advice. Thank you

Last edited by mikos; 12-07-2011 at 12:11 PM.
mikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
mikos

ok, i've seen that the problem is with chapters coding.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height:11.25pt;"><b><span style="font-family:Verdana; font-size:18pt; color:rgb(102,102,102);"><font face="Arial Unicode MS">Chapter 2. Genetic
Disease&nbsp;</font><span style="font-family:Verdana; font-size:12pt; color:rgb(51,51,51);"><font face="Arial Unicode MS"> </span></b></font></p>

I've tried convert the document with enabled heurystics but it didn't work for me.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
congngo
congngo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
You can convert chm to hmtl by download this tool

http://www.northbright.com/chmtool/download.html

and fix the codes manually and use calibre to convert it. Another long way of doing it is to download sigil, fix the codes, save it as epub and then use calibre to convert to mobi. But you need to learn how to use sigil which is not that simple.
congngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
mikos

i've converted the .chm book to .mobi almost succesfuly using calibre. Weird thing cause with .epud extension only TOC worked and with .mobi I've all pages. However all images are missing. Could anybody advice me something?

I've done same thing using htm files. I've created manualy TOC and then converted the .htm file to mobi. It looks even better than previous conversion but still images are missing.

Last edited by mikos; 12-08-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
congngo
congngo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
post the html and mobi files and I will see if I can fix it.
congngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
CindyP
CindyP began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS650
CHM to Anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by congngo View Post
You can convert chm to hmtl by download this tool

http://www.northbright.com/chmtool/download.html

and fix the codes manually and use calibre to convert it. Another long way of doing it is to download sigil, fix the codes, save it as epub and then use calibre to convert to mobi. But you need to learn how to use sigil which is not that simple.
congngo, I've got an ebook in CHM format that has one file per page and seems to start with a link that says "redirecting". Each page has a link to the next and previous page. I am trying to get it into a format so I can put it on my Sony eReader. I have tried calibre convert (just doesn't work), converting to html first then opening with Sigil (I don't know how to use it). I am at a loss so I tried the northbright conversion tool and all I get there is an error "Failed to decompile the CHM file". Any other idea of what might be wrong and where to go from here?
CindyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #7
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
If the conversion to html is working, you should be able to use calibre to convert to epub. However if the html is still problematic, upload it somewhere and I'll take a look at it.

Throw in the chm, just so that I can try see what's wrong with it - sounds like it's been damaged or has some strange stuff in it.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
CindyP

Quote:
upload it somewhere and I'll take a look at it.

Throw in the chm, just so that I can try see what's wrong with it - sounds like it's been damaged or has some strange stuff in it.
Serpentine, Thanks for the quick offer of help - somehow i missed this for a few days. I used the Linux extract_chmLib to create the HTML files in the BMT-HTML folder and the CHM file is there as well. I can't get either to convert to Mobi or epub in Calibre. I'd be grateful for any help as this is going to become a Christmas present if I can get it converted!

[link no longer needed]

Last edited by CindyP; 12-23-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #9
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, yeah that's pretty badly mangled - I've got the bulk of the cleanup done, however since its entirely based on tables, I'll have to figure out something for the conversion to paragraphs.

Will see if I can find some time tomoz, however in the mean time you can remove the dropbox link
Old 12-23-2011, 04:05 AM   #10
CindyP

Thanks Serpentine! I didn't know what I was looking for so I couldn't judge. I know it is a busy time of the year so any further assistance is over and above the call of duty but greatly appreciated.

Cindy
Old 12-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
Serpentine
Evangelist

The link is in a PM - hopefully in time.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #12
CindyP

Thanks Serpentine. What a hero. I am really thankful for your generosity. Let's see how much karma I can give one snake.

Cindy
Old 01-08-2012, 04:19 AM   #13
cpewy
cpewy began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Hi Serpentine and Cindy, I have the same chm converting problem: only the table of content is converted into epub or mobi. I tried to use the chm tool as above, but with limited knowledge of html coding, I still don't know how to fix the problem to convert the whole book. Can you please help me? Thanks a lot.
cpewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:36 AM   #14
CindyP

cpewy, Unfortunately I am not going to be able to help. Serpentine did it for me and I didn't get a chance to ask him what method he used. If he replies then maybe he can let us know how to do it ourselves.
Cindy