Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
roswell1965
roswell1965 began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Palm Tungsten E2
Please Help! New iTouch/switch from Palm

Hello,

For years I've been using my My Palm Tungsten along with Plucker to pull web-pages off the net to read later.. My wife just bought me the Touch and after some searching I found and downloaded the Read It Later app.. Also am using the Firefox add-on; there is the "sync" button there but I am still unable to figure out how to get a webpage onto the Touch.. What am I missing? We don't have our computer set-up for WiFi - is WiFi absolutely necessary to make this work or is there a way to transfer via USB like I've been doing?

Thanks for any help!

Mark
roswell1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Trubu
Zealot
Trubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enoughTrubu will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, Nook, iPhone 3GS, iPad
I'm not familiar with Read It Later, but yeah, unfortunately you're probably out of luck if you don't have a wifi network. There is some USB document transfer functionality coming in iPhone OS 4.0, due for release in a month or so, but the app has to support it.

If you can, I'd highly recommend picking up a cheap wifi router - the Touch will be a much, much more useful device that way.
Trubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
You might want to try Instapaper-I am not familiar with read it later but it sounds similar. Instapaper synchs over the web.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
yes, sorry, you need wifi to use Read It Later on the Touch.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by roswell1965 View Post
Hello,

For years I've been using my My Palm Tungsten along with Plucker to pull web-pages off the net to read later.. My wife just bought me the Touch and after some searching I found and downloaded the Read It Later app.. Also am using the Firefox add-on; there is the "sync" button there but I am still unable to figure out how to get a webpage onto the Touch.. What am I missing? We don't have our computer set-up for WiFi - is WiFi absolutely necessary to make this work or is there a way to transfer via USB like I've been doing?

Thanks for any help!

Mark
You might want to switch to Instapaper. Their system works over the web, and the PC & Ipod Touch don't have to be on the same network.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Read It Later works over the web too, pretty much the same as Instapaper. I have both.. But both require the Touch to have net access to download your saved pages, net over WiFi. You can't download to Instapaper or Read It Later over USB. Sorry.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #7
roswell1965

Wow FAST!! You guys are awesome, thanks..

I will have a look at Instapaper but you're right it may be time for me to join the 21st Century and get a wifi router. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
AMacD
Al
AMacD doesn't litterAMacD doesn't litter

Location: Bardstown, KY as home base, but RV following the seasons.
Device: Kindle1 and Kindle2 and Palm T|X
Is there a manual for "Read it Later"? I know it works on the Kindle but I don't know how. I click on the Read Later button and nothing happens from there, or at least whatever happens is invisible to me.
AMacD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
roswell1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMacD View Post
Is there a manual for "Read it Later"? I know it works on the Kindle but I don't know how. I click on the Read Later button and nothing happens from there, or at least whatever happens is invisible to me.
There's alot of instruction on their website; instruction that lead me to believe it would work as Plucker does with my Palm.

I first paid $4.99 for the Bookshelf app thinking that would work So obviously I am confused... I did find DVDFab and am blissfully ripping my collection for viewing on the touch.. Very nice