Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #1
knghcm
knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Glowlight
Smile Is paged mode supposed to work this way?

I have 3 columns/pages going on in the paged mode of the viewer. When I move on to the next page (by pressing the down arrow button), the book is moved to the left by only one column. You can think of it as the left column moves out of the page, the previously-read column moves from the center to the left, the right column moves to the center waiting to be read, and a new column shows up on the right.

This means that I can only read the book in the middle column region. To me this seems to defeat the purpose of multi-column reading as only one column is read at a time.

Is there anyway for me to read all columns in the viewer, press the down arrow button, and these columns are replaced by entire new columns? I hope I didn't confuse anybody. Thank you for reading and I'd really appreciate your help.

PS: Thank you Kovid and team for all the work that you've done with Calibre. This is one of the most indispensable software I've ever used.

Edit: I reduced the number of columns to 2 and still faces the same problem. I can only read what's on the right column.

Last edited by knghcm; 03-22-2014 at 04:06 PM.
knghcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
knghcm
knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.knghcm knows the square root of minus one.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about

Advert
Old 03-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
knghcm

And this is what I want
Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Down arrow will move a single column at a time. Page Down will move all three columns at a time. You can of course change the keyboard shortcuts if you like in the viewer's preferences.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
knghcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Down arrow will move a single column at a time. Page Down will move all three columns at a time. You can of course change the keyboard shortcuts if you like in the viewer's preferences.
Thank you Kovid! That helps a lot. For those trying to figure out how to do it, you can follow this:

1) Click on the 3-gear icon on the left bar of the ebook viewer
2) Click on the tab that says "Keyboard Shortcuts"
3) Double click on a task of choice to change its trigger key, in this case, I double clicked on "Scroll Down" and changed it from the default (J or Down) to just J.

I also changed the key of "Scroll to the Next Page" from the PageDown button to just the Down arrow. Of course, I changed the tasks "Scroll up" and "Scroll the the Previous Page" similarly.

At this point I noticed that my down arrow do indeed scroll the entire page (and not just shift a single column), but the mouse wheel that I used for scrolling still defaulted to the single-column scrolling. I changed this so that the mouse wheel scrolls the entire page. Here's what I did:

1) Click on 3-gear icon
2) In "General tab", click on "Page Flip options" button to expand the section
3) Change "Page flip duration" to "disabled"
4) Make sure that "Mouse wheel flips pages" is checked
5) Restart the viewer if that doesn't work.

I was about the reply to Kovid's post to complain about the mouse wheel scrolling but after mucking around Calibre I figured out how to do it. I'm very pleasantly surprised at how customizable Calibre it. Love it!

Edit: Just made a donation to the Calibre team. Keep up the good work you guys!
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 12:05 AM   #6
knghcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghcm View Post
Thank you Kovid! That helps a lot. For those trying to figure out how to do it, you can follow this:

1) Click on the 3-gear icon on the left bar of the ebook viewer
2) Click on the tab that says "Keyboard Shortcuts"
3) Double click on a task of choice to change its trigger key, in this case, I double clicked on "Scroll Down" and changed it from the default (J or Down) to just J.

I also changed the key of "Scroll to the Next Page" from the PageDown button to just the Down arrow. Of course, I changed the tasks "Scroll up" and "Scroll the the Previous Page" similarly.

At this point I noticed that my down arrow do indeed scroll the entire page (and not just shift a single column), but the mouse wheel that I used for scrolling still defaulted to the single-column scrolling. I changed this so that the mouse wheel scrolls the entire page. Here's what I did:

1) Click on 3-gear icon
2) In "General tab", click on "Page Flip options" button to expand the section
3) Change "Page flip duration" to "disabled"
4) Make sure that "Mouse wheel flips pages" is checked
5) Restart the viewer if that doesn't work.

I was about the reply to Kovid's post to complain about the mouse wheel scrolling but after mucking around Calibre I figured out how to do it. I'm very pleasantly surprised at how customizable Calibre it. Love it!

Edit: Just made a donation to the Calibre team. Keep up the good work you guys!
About the "Page flip duration", I think it refers to the duration the "sliding" animation when you flips a page. A longer value means it would take longer to slide and thus the sliding animation looks more pronounced.

Since I don't need the animation (it frankly gets on my nerves after a while), I leave it as "disabled". However, if you prefer the animation, you can set a non-zero value to it without losing the effect of the mouse wheel scrolling the entire wheel.

Tags
calibre, column, page, scrolling, viewer