Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-30-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
Evan
... loves his toys!
Evan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650
Preparing for the Xbox 360's release

If you read the my site (I'm guessing that's only a few out there in MR land), you've possibly noticed my preoccupation with the Xbox 360. I've already gone and set up my gamer tag, linked in my signature. Notice my Xbox Live "motto".

What can I say? I'm happy here in my new home at MobileRead. I just need to dig up more material to contribute!
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 03:37 PM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have an Xbox, and I know that I won't upgrade to 360 unless there is some way to mod it. I am not into playing pirated games, but I love my current Xbox for watching movies and listening to music on live Internet radio with XboxMediaCenter (XBMC). It's a shame that Microsoft wouldn't officially implement such features.

What Live games are you into, Evan?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #3
Evan
... loves his toys!
Evan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it isEvan knows what time it is

Let's see... there's Halo2... and Halo 2... and I think Halo 2! I have higher hopes, perhaps without cause, that the 360 will have better games than the Xbox 1. However, I admit, I really haven't found too many Xbox games that have caught my fancy. I may have a few more lying around upstairs but I actually traded in several more for credit toward my 360.

Once the 360 comes out, and I no longer need my Xbox to play Halo, assuming backward compatability in the 360, I may try out XBMC. I don't need it but it may be an interesting experiment if I get bored (which doesn't happen too often). I admit, I've submitted to the darkside and have a Media Center server at home. We used to have a SageTV network serving up media around the house but my fiance found entirely too many ways to break it. I admit, to my surprise, Media Center has proven more resilient.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:44 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I would have loved an Xbox way back in the day. But these days I like gaming in bite-sized pieces, and don't really care to invest the time to learn how to play the modern games. (That's code for "I'm do dumb to figure them out!") I'm happier just listening to music, reading a book or watching something on TV to veg out instead.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:23 PM   #5
Evan
... loves his toys!

I sympathize. I'm a fairly casual and sporadic gamer these days--especially when compared to the gaming junkie I used to be who blew through Baldur's Gate in so little time that one of the two founders of the company e-mailed me for my thoughts.

I probably only turn my Xbox on for a few hours a month these days. Still, it's a good occasional distraction. I'm actually buying my 360 more as a media center extender than a gaming console.
Advert
Old 10-31-2005, 03:14 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Evan I can heartly recommend XBMC. It transforms your Xbox into the best media center cheap money can buy, if you are not looking for HDTV support. Connected to my home lan, I can access any Samba/Windows-shared folders to play movies, mp3s, and view pictures. It's quite an experience
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 07:44 AM   #7
Evan
... loves his toys!

Well, actually....

Yep, I am looking for HD support. That's one of the nice features of the 360. Of course, I still have to get an ATSC tuner (I need to google for a dual, for that matter) for my Media Center PC.

It may be a fun experiment anyway. We have an old TV downstairs that isn't wired to a computer at the moment.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:33 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I'd love to have HD but right now this is kind of investment is out of question for me. Of course, if someone wants to donate a full HD equipment I wouldn't say no
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:08 PM   #9
Evan
... loves his toys!

LOL! If you're scoring those kinds of donations from the MR community, please feel free to share with the editors!

I just picked up a used copy of Destroy All Humans and Star Wars: Battlefront II to unwind from a drive to and from NYC to visit the fiance's relatives. No worries: the stress was largely induced from the drive. Just the same, if anyone else out there has SWBF2, feel free to look me up on Xbox Live.