Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
shenye
Zealot
shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shenye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
But he made an excellent point.

Kindle names are way too confusing. No wonder somebody came up with the Baby Kindle moniker.
shenye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #17
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's really a K4 or $69 Kindle. Some call it a Kindle 4 NT. I've seen some here call it the Basic Kindle. Baby Kindle is just....
I understand what lindnet means about it being brand new, small and light, but this comment just sums it up perfectly for me.

It is down to Amazon causing confusion though.

The firmware no. = model no. works very well.... up until the Kindle Fire (because it's not even a proper Kindle, it's some daft tablet), and the Paperwhite (as Blossom has already explained it's using v5 firmware but is clearly not a Kindle 5). So the only confusion I have now is what model number is the Paperwhite? Do we have to give up on the numbers and just know it as the Kindle PW instead?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #18
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Think firmware version and you will always know the right name. Kindle Keyboard has v3 firmware so it's called a K3, The $69 Kindle has version 4 firmware so it's a K4. the Kindle Touch has version 5 so it's a K5. The paperwhite is the only Kindle that doesn't fit because it's firmware is 5.2 Even the original Kindle Fire is v6 so it can also be called the K6. We now have Kindles firmware up to version 10!

Here's a page that will help you remember.
See, that's exactly why I don't think this naming system is any better than others. The new version of the $69 one shouldn't be named the same as the older model, and both the Touch and the PW are K5's. We still have to add little extra things in there (like PW or K4B) to tell which one we mean. I don't have any trouble figuring out which one people are talking about, no matter what they call it. But if Amazon had started out with a naming scheme of some sort, all of these different groups wouldn't have to come up with their own. That's all I was getting at.
lindnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #19
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I understand what lindnet means about it being brand new, small and light, but this comment just sums it up perfectly for me.

It is down to Amazon causing confusion though.

The firmware no. = model no. works very well.... up until the Kindle Fire (because it's not even a proper Kindle, it's some daft tablet), and the Paperwhite (as Blossom has already explained it's using v5 firmware but is clearly not a Kindle 5). So the only confusion I have now is what model number is the Paperwhite? Do we have to give up on the numbers and just know it as the Kindle PW instead?

The Kindle Fire is a Kindle though. I have the K6. Sure it can do alot of other things but it still is a eReader at best. If we go by the firmware the Paperwhite would be a K5v2 but PW is the norm when talking about it. We now have two Kindle Fires that are not HD so I use KFv1 for mine and KFv2 for the new one or K6 and K10 but most don't know what I am talking about so it's just easier to say KFv1..etc

Both $69 Kindles are K4s We just add the color to the end. The 2012 model is K4B and last year model is K4S. We came up with this because the DX also uses this type of naming scheme.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
lindnet
Enthusiast
lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lindnet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Both $69 Kindles are K4s We just add the color to the end. The 2012 model is K4B and last year model is K4S. We came up with this because the DX also uses this type of naming scheme.
Don't they have a silver version of the new one now as well? I know there was some speculation as to whether it was really the old one, but I thought I'd read that it was actually the new updated version....just an option for silver instead of black.
lindnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindnet View Post
Don't they have a silver version of the new one now as well? I know there was some speculation as to whether it was really the old one, but I thought I'd read that it was actually the new updated version....just an option for silver instead of black.
No the Silver is from last year. They are just selling off what Silver stock is left. Once it's gone only the black will be Sold.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 AM   #22
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I tend to think of them in generation numbers -- all of last year's models are 4th gen (I don't include the fire). Each to his own. My 2012 black basic kindle is so different compared with my 2011 silver one.

I doubt that many outside of this MR forum would think of firmware numbers. This is a small group in the kindle owners' universe. (Kindleboards is also small.)
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote