Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Transfer books to new Kobo

As I think I'll be asking for an exchange soon from OfficeW for my KT due to a battery life of only a few hours (I' ve only had it for about 10 weeks) I'm wondering what is the procedure with the new one. I know this has been explained earlier but I can't find the link.

Do I re-register it as a new device and new ID and so on?

Most of the books on it are from Kobo so will they side-load again from KT Desktop? And what about library books? Will they sideload again from ADE?
I love my KT and this battery drain is the only problem, but I'm a bit fed up having to recharge it so often.
Any advice much appreciated.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Books can be installed on a new device any way you prefer. You can synchronise with Kobo, even just via wifi, and it will restore them. You can transfer books to it again using the ADE software, or Calibre, or even any file manager of your liking. Just for the record, I don't like the term "side-load" as it implies doing something in a way different from normal. All these ways are perfectly valid and normal, and none of them are sideways
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Jusmee, sounds easy. I was never sure what side-load meant and assumed it meant loading via the usb cable on the 'side' of the computer. I could easily be wrong though. Can it mean something dodgy?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Woodstonian
Connoisseur
Woodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the partyWoodstonian brings flavor and color to the party

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
Thanks Jusmee, sounds easy. I was never sure what side-load meant and assumed it meant loading via the usb cable on the 'side' of the computer. I could easily be wrong though. Can it mean something dodgy?
Not dodgy at all. It just means loading books through an intermediate step on your computer such as Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) rather than the direct connection between the Kobo site and the device.
BTW, nice dog!
Woodstonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstonian View Post
Not dodgy at all. It just means loading books through an intermediate step on your computer such as Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) rather than the direct connection between the Kobo site and the device.
BTW, nice dog!
The way it was explained to me was:
  • Downloading = server to client
  • Uploading = client to server
  • Sideloading = between devices at the same "level" (such as laptop to ereader, of course)
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
The way it was explained to me was:
  • Downloading = server to client
  • Uploading = client to server
  • Sideloading = between devices at the same "level" (such as laptop to ereader, of course)
Except that when you connect between, say, the kobo, and your computer, you can say the computer downloads the files to the Kobo - i.e. it is also a client server relationship. Computers change roles all the time. I don't know where the term sideloading comes from, but it seems to have been invented recently - and without any need IMHO.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:37 AM   #7
Katel
Evangelist

OK, thanks.

Woodstonian love your dog too. Aren't cavvies the best.