Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
The concept of the "finished" text

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
I think the interesting thing here is the use of the term beta reader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Because it abandons the notion of a finished text.
Ok, so normally I find Giggleton's posts a bit like koans, but this one actually made sense. Smashwords and BookieJar both allow someone to upload an "updated" or corrected text. So does deviantArt. I've never tried doing it with Amazon, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an option there as well.

The thing is, print books don't allow these kind of version updates the same way an ebook does. They're "fixed" at a moment of time when they're printed, and later versions require another print run, thus "fixing" them at another moment.

So should we really abandon the concept of the "finished" manuscript, and adopt something like a software version control version with alpha, beta, and RC releases; versions with numbers ascending from 1.0, an all that?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amazon does allow uploading new versions and even lets you mark them with edition numbers.

I try my best to make every book I publish "finished" in the traditional sense, but there have been a number of cases where I have had to make updates. In one instance a reader let me know of some formatting issues that had crept in during a conversion process, in another I found a few minor mistakes that I'd missed during my editing.

As long as the ability to update isn't used an excuse to sell crappy first drafts, I think being able to upload new versions of texts is useful for both authors and readers.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
The problem I think, unless it is widely pirated, is that the original version will disappear forever. Though that doesn't stop me from doing it myself
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Perhaps most of those here are too young to remember the "addendum's" that used to be inserted into print books.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Perhaps most of those here are too young to remember the "addendum's" that used to be inserted into print books.
No, but I do remember picking up an RPG sourcebook which had a good three pages of Errata stuffed inside.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 03:56 AM   #6
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
As much as possible, it's best if the text for sale is the final copy. It will reflect, after all, in the initial reviews, and can be an inconvenience to consumers (ie having to re-downloaded the book). And if you do this, I recommend sticking to fixing typos as opposed to other types of edits (i.e. changing a character completely). That's not to say you can't release a different version of the book but do just that: release a different version of the book labeled appropriately.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Technical books have been doing revisions (editions) for ... ever? Some fiction books have seen re-release in substantially different revisions well before ebooks became popular enough to warrant the "e" prefix (Stephen King's The Stand comes to mind).

So it's not a new idea, ebooks just make it more convenient. I personally would rather that most fiction continued to come out as finished text, with only ever minor (spelling and significant grammar) corrections made, but my preferences aren't going to make much difference - the capability is there and it will be used. It will be interesting to see how much it is used, and how such revisions are sold.

Would - to take my previous example - the new edition of The Stand be considered "v2", and like most commercial software require a significant upgrade price for purchase? While spelling and grammar revisions would be v1.1 (or v1.0.1 build 01234 ) and could be a free upgrade to existing buyers? And how will be buyers know whether a "major" version change is really worth the money. It might be like upgrading pick-your-bugbear-software-package to the next major version only to discover it's essentially the same thing with the screen colours changed. The possibilities boggle the mind.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote