Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Libre
Guide to the best solution

I don't own a tablet ...

I do own a Nook Classic. I have not made the switch to the touch Nook because I hate the library shelving system.

90% of the books I read are library books.

I want to pick a book, and THEN choose the shelf or shelves it belongs on ... not pick a shelf and go through 200 books to find the one I want to add. I would also like to know which books are NOT on shelves so I can place them appropriately. Simple touch doesn't do this. The guy at the B&N store said Nook HD does.

One of my favorite magazines just announced they are going all digital and my husband said "so, buy a tablet".

OK, I looked at the Android Nook app he uses and the library system is non-existent.

If I buy a Nook HD, how "Android" is it? ... like, could I put the Kindle app on it and read Kindle books, to? Are all the Android apps available on the Nook HD?

The magazine I want has a Kindle edition, an iPad edition and an Android edition through an app called Zinio, but I have to have Android 4.0 or higher ...

I'm not really going to buy a tablet just to read a particular magazine, but it got me to thinking ....

Nook HD or regular run-of-the mill Android tablet?
Catsnkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Nook HD or regular android tablet?

Depends what your needs are. If you're going to do a lot of heavy reading on it, then I would go with the Nook HD or HD+ as they have superb resolution. The HD currently has the best resolution of any 7-8" tablet on the market. I find the better the resolution, the easier it is to read for long periods of time. The HD and HD+ are also extremely well priced now.

However, if you want your tablet for navigation or camera functions as well, then get something else as the Nooks don't have GPS or a camera. Maybe the Nexus 7 might be a good choice, and its prices are also low now.

Right out of the box, the HD and HD+ can download almost all apps from Google Play. I'd say about 95%. A lot of them that are shown as incompatible rely on GPS or a camera. However, if you make a small mod to the stock firmware, you can then download even these apps, and most of them will work on the Nooks. The restrictions requiring GPS are arbitrary and unnecessary as most of these apps -- such as weather or shopping apps -- can work without GPS.

With the small mod mentioned above, you can even install the Amazon App store on your HD/HD+ and take advantage of their free app offers.

As for organizing books, you can install a variety of readers on the HD/HD+ and each has their own way to organize books. You should try each one out to see what suits your needs best.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsnkites View Post
One of my favorite magazines just announced they are going all digital and my husband said "so, buy a tablet".
~~~~~~~~~~
The magazine I want has a Kindle edition, an iPad edition and an Android edition through an app called Zinio, but I have to have Android 4.0 or higher ...
Zinio will run on the HDs; and most other current gen Android tablets. I have an HD+ and use Zinio for my magazines all the time; but instead of buying them, I check them out from the library.

Quite a few libraries use Zinio for magazines and I love it. Saves me big bucks by not having to buy subscriptions. See this thread for more information on this service:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #4
Catsnkites
Connoisseur
Catsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipseCatsnkites can illuminate an eclipse

Well, how cool is that!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Catsnkites
Connoisseur

Stopped by B&N today to get a better look at the Nook HD.

I like the Nook library system and can probably live with the limitations (no camera, no GPS)

BUT, I asked the guy about library books and he wasn't really sure ...

So, if you have a Nook HD and check out eBooks from a library, then I have a question ...

I check out from two libraries in my area ... one uses Blio an the other uses Overdrive. In both cases, I get the ePub and use Adobe Digital Editions to transfer the books.

All the books show up on my Nook Classic under the "My Documents" library. This library contains books from the library, books from Fictionwise (COMPLETELY missed the e-mails about the FW transfer ... UGH! ...went to spam, I guess), books from Borders (I've had it awhile!) ....

Anyway, on a particular day, let's say I checked out two books from each place and they are due on June 24th ... I make a shelf called "library - 7/24" and put all four books on it. Then I get a message saying a book I had on hold is ready. I check it out and put it on a shelf called "library - 8/3" This way, when I finish a book, I know which books to start next (those closer to their due date).

It sounds like, on a Nook HD (and a straight android tablet) ... my books would be all over ... the library that uses Overdrive would have the books in an Overdrive App, the library that uses Blio would have them in a Blio app ...

Does that sound right? I'd been hoping that the Nook HD would combine all the books from everywhere, like the STR does or at least just have two libraries ... Nook Books and everything else ..
Advert