Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-03-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Crappy epub font - any way to change?

I just bought Effective Perl Programming in epub and the font used on the code sections looks horrible. I've checked the font both on my E.Edge and on my laptop in ADE and it's not very good.

Is there any way to replace the font used for the code sections?

Click image for larger version

Name:	crappy_epub_font.gif
Views:	233
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	62218
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
cuthbert19
Enthusiast
cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.cuthbert19 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Cybook Opus
Are you sure that it's text and not, as it seems to me, actually an image? Especially since the font for "foreach" or "STDIN" in the main text part is different from the one in the code section, and I think it should be the same ...

It's possible that they tried not to go mad about the indenting and preferred to go the screenshot way ....
cuthbert19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, good point. It might very well be that they made the code sections as pictures.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Don't forgot, many ereaders don't support embedded fonts. They wanted the code in a monospaced font, and the only way to do that was by embedding it as an image.

That definitely looks like an image to me. It really should have been higher resolution, though. There's no reason it couldn't look as crisp as the rest of the text.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
thinkpad
David

I just checked and indeed the code parts are made up of pictures. It looks totally crap on my e-reader. To go with pictures was not the smartest choice. Perhaps the easiest but not one that makes the book look good.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
It looks totally crap on my e-reader. To go with pictures was not the smartest choice. Perhaps the easiest but not one that makes the book look good.
It's not only uglier, but it breaks copying and searching. You should complain to the publisher (I would).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
thinkpad
David

Yeah this is something that gets me really irritated. You pay full price and they can't even bother to turn out a decent e-book version.

I might have to ask them to give me the PDF-version instead. The crazy thing is that from ebooks.com you pay for each format, so I can't go and download the PDF-version.

The only publisher I know that does a good job and doesn't screw you over as a customer is O'Reilly. Multiple formats available and you can download the format that suits your needs best without paying multiple times for the same book.

Tags
font epub