Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
DEMO: jetBook MINI at the Moscow Book Fair

i saw Ectaco's YouTube this morning and guess what they posted??

they presented the jetBook MINI at the Moscow Book Fair a few days ago and made a video demonstrating some of the new functions. here's a link to it below and i had my russian friend just translate the menu so lets hope her translation is on point!!

The Menu options say:

Interface Language
Rotate Screen
Font Size
Encoding
Alignment
Line Spacing
Line Breaking
Date Formating
Time Formating
Auto Power Off
Clock
Restore Default Settings
Upgrade Patch
About

LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
nice video, jetBook mini has clock now! I like black color unit more but it looks like they will produce many different colors.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Now I really want one. I have always wanted to be able to rotate my Libre so the page turn bar is on the bottom for landscape view.
I have mixed feelings about the clock though. Great feature but also the potential to limit library books...

When will they release it in the US???? How much will it cost???? (I'm so impatient )
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Now I really want one. I have always wanted to be able to rotate my Libre so the page turn bar is on the bottom for landscape view.
I have mixed feelings about the clock though. Great feature but also the potential to limit library books...

When will they release it in the US???? How much will it cost???? (I'm so impatient )
October?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=42
Old 09-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I am not sure that Jetbook Mini is the best name for it... after all, it looks to have the same (size/actual) screen as the original Jetbook.

That being said... first observation is that it definitely looks like it uses user replaceable batteries.

It also looks like an extremely well designed unit. Unlike the Jetbook lite, where the battery compartment looks like it was tacked on to the back of the standard Jetbook, the Mini's battery compartment looks like it was carefully integrated into a real hand grip for the unit. The only disadvantage to this would be if you like to read with your book sitting flat on a table .

I would have liked to see the home screen and gotten an idea of how different the unit's screens and organization is from the original Jetbook.

Over all, the only real questions I have are regarding how durable the unit will be and how long one can expect to read using rechargeable batteries.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh one other thing...

October? Are they kidding me?... Arghhhhh.. I am not sure I can wait that long to replace my original Jetbook.

--
Bill
Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
The put the battery under the buttons! Perfect, perfect, perfect...
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by capidamonte View Post
The put the battery under the buttons! Perfect, perfect, perfect...
I agree. It appears they must have paid attention when some users of the Jetbook lite talked about how the battery bulge made it easier to hold. Now though, they made it much more graceful looking.

--
Bill
Old 09-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
i had my russian friend just translate the menu so lets hope her translation is on point!!
It is.
I don't know russian but it matches the spanish menu.

Gotta say the buttons look better in the video than in the photos; the bumps make sense now.
And yes; it uses AA batteries.
The screen background looks a bit lighter than the JBL. Might be a lighting effect, might be an improved contrast issue.

At US$100 and under it would be killer.
I still expect a list price of $129 (initially) but I can see it hitting US$99 by XMAS.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Oh one other thing...

October? Are they kidding me?... Arghhhhh.. I am not sure I can wait that long to replace my original Jetbook.

--
Bill
I can, but only because I bought my Aluratek two weeks ago...

Just, please, please, please let there be a serif font!

Last edited by capidamonte; 09-03-2010 at 03:34 PM.
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #11
DLI
Banned
DLI has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: jetBook, Kindle
Can you see if they have included translator's option into that jetbook mini reader?
DLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #12
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLI View Post
Can you see if they have included translator's option into that jetbook mini reader?
It has Interface Language section but I'm not sure about translators. I hope we will know more details soon.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
He said that it already is on USA market.
He says that the price will be 4990 Rubles (Russian money) which is, according to google 127Euro at the moment.

So I would guess that USA price will be somewhere around $125
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #14
DLI
Banned
DLI has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: jetBook, Kindle
Thanks, Kris. I've seen on the other forum the price they published in Russia is around $165. If so, the price in the US should be 30-35% less, which could be a good deal. I'm looking for jetbook or any eBook reader in $100 range with Slovak dictionary. Do you know if such exist on the market?
DLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLI View Post
Thanks, Kris. I've seen on the other forum the price they published in Russia is around $165. If so, the price in the US should be 30-35% less, which could be a good deal. I'm looking for jetbook or any eBook reader in $100 range with Slovak dictionary. Do you know if such exist on the market?
Regular jetBook and jetBook-Lite have dictionaries for Spanish, German, Russian and Polish languages. New Sony models have dictionaries for European languages but as I know they don't have it for Slovak.

It will be a good feature for jetBook to have the option to preload different languages on SD card depends on language you need. I think Ectaco can do it because they produce electronic dictionaries for many languages.

Tags
ectaco, jetbook, jetbook mini