View Poll Results: Is IREX a stable and robust product
Yes 25 56.82%
No 19 43.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
Ivan
Connoisseur
Ivan began at the beginning.

RE: Problem on my ereader screen!!!!!!!!

I plugged my Iliad into the charger last night and just turned it on, and the screen is all dark with ghost image and distorted irregular black and white area. No matter what I do, it remains the same. No a physical damage and scratch on surface. They appear permanent. I did reset the device but it doesn’t improve. I would like to know what happen on my IREX-.

The intersting thing is that the ghost image is matched to my 9100i in which I put my mobile phone(9100) on IREX together last night- (would it be any electric/magnetic filed to case this- ??). Anyway, my IREX become piece of junk all of sudden. Apparently, this ereader is not very stable and robust. Attached please find two pictures on my ereader. I will send email to IREx

I am so frustrated!!! Let me know what should I do now?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ebook problem.pdf (66.8 KB, 919 views)
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ivan, I am very sorry to hear. It seems like your unit [url?https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7558]was faulty[/url] to begin with? Is this your old iLiad or had it been replaced by iRex?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2006, 09:25 AM   #3
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
I'm very sorry to here your problem.

I can't answer your poll, though. It will only turn out (for me at least) once the warranty expires. It is hard to say at the moment. But I can tell you many of us have no problems with the hardware. Maybe we were lucky...
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #4
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Well having done the same thing many times It's not happened to me. So I would say yes it is.

The fault I had, was down to a battery which they sorted with a new unit.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 AM   #5
Ivan
Connoisseur

In fact, I ordered my iLiad via the official partner in Asia- Guangzhou KingSun Software R&D Center Co. Ltd. (The price is much higher than English version) My first IREX came with a black strip and they replaced another IRex-China for me promply. I am not sure the unit is band new (Not like it)- I found my ebook and newspaper to come with my ereader and the screen is a bit dirty on the surface but that is fine as long as it work okay I were thinging but now it became bleed its gut! I am so upset!!
Advert
Old 10-11-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
k2r
Zealot
k2r doesn't litterk2r doesn't litter

Device: MP2K, iLiad
I'm very sorry, but to me it looks as if some pressure was applied on the screen and the layer that contains the active part of the "active matrix" broke in the diagonal line in your picture.

It looks similar to a broken screen I once had on a notebook.

Did you put anything on top of the mobile phone or did you try to hold mobile phone and iliad together in one hand?

#!chris
k2r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #7
Ivan
Connoisseur

I don't know but I may hold them together from time to time. I want to know anyone have this experince?
Old 10-13-2006, 07:22 AM   #8
Ivan
Connoisseur

I have been informed that my iLiad needs to be returned to our Repair Centre and will receive a transport box, a return label and shipping instructions.

The techsupport claimed that " the display was broken due to pressure. Due to the large size of the display it is very sensitive to pressure, so please do avoid pressure on the display at all time."

If you look at my picture carefully, I tailored-made a case for my ereader to aviod any physical demage or pressure. Indeed, I really not idea when it happens; anyone have this experience of "broken screen"?
Old 10-14-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
It seems a broken backplane, indeed. Fragility of the backplane was the weak point of the sony librie. This is suppossed to be more robust, or you should break it with the pen.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:20 PM   #10
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Angry

The same happened to my Iliad. The display was broken due to applied pressure. I was still able to connect to the device via LAN and transfer files, so the processor was working fine.

At first I was informed that repair is possible by replacing the display (cost 275 EUR). After a while I got another mail "We have been informed by our service center that your iLiad has suffered an unrecoverable damage and unfortunately it is not possible to repair it."

No comment...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	1824  
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:31 AM   #11
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Oh crap! If the backplane is so weak that even the pressure of a cellular phone sitting on top of the screen could break it, could you consider it "faulty construction"?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:45 AM   #12
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
That's *really* bad.

I don't know. There was nowhere a warning that the iliad is so fragile. (actually, i thought there was word that the iliad should be suitable for everything you use a magazine for, including the killing of flies. That's slightly orthogonal to "you can destroy it by putting a phone on it")
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:07 AM   #13
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
It's called electronic paper and you can't even put a paper-weight on it? Like a Lenin-head?
It can not be called paper any more. I want a full recharge!

Edit:
Sorry guys if this would happen to my iLiad I would be shocked. The repair center should actually provide a solution or if they don't do our community should stand up.

Last edited by Mambo; 10-16-2006 at 05:12 AM.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:45 AM   #14
Drops
Connoisseur
Drops began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo
The repair center should actually provide a solution or if they don't do our community should stand up.
The worst part of it was the "damaged beyond repair" statement, when the rest of the hardware still works fine.

Irex has offered a replacement unit for a reduced price (500 EUR) in exchange for the old hardware. So they either want to recycle it properly to protect our environment......or replace the screen and sell it as a refurbished unit (Repaired "beyond repair" unit)

Last edited by Drops; 10-16-2006 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Typos
Drops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #15
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drops
The worst part of it was the "damaged beyond repair" statement, when the rest of the hardware still works fine.

Irex has offered a replacement unit for a reduced price (500 EUR) in exchange for the old hardware. So they either want to recycle it properly to protect our environment......or replace the screen and sell it as a refurbished unit (Repaired "beyond repair" unit)
That is outrageous! I'm pretty sure that they do not want the old hardware for recycling; You cant take it yourself to any of the electronics recyclers in your town; So....the sell you a new unit for 500 EUR...that means a loss on their side of 150 EUR. They take your old hardware, put a 275 EUR component and sell it as refurbished, for.....????
So...you give them a total of 500+650=1150 EUR for what is in essence 1 device;

Damn, thats a rip-off;
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote