Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
RainDog2
RainDog2 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Why do most people buy the iRex DR 1000S?

For those of you who have the thing--why did you opt for it over some other reader?

I'm just wondering, because it is far and above the most expensive reader out there.

The Kindle, I felt, was too small for a good reading experience. I am geared not necessarily towards technical journals, but I will be definitely reading a lot of non-fiction and textbooks.

Everything else just kind of runs together, so I'm kind of at a loss. I'd like one with a lot of flexibility and am not overly fixated on small size.

Someone mentioned getting a tablet PC to me. I assume the primary difference between it and the DR is that the DR has ePaper technology. Is that the only reason to opt for the DR over the tablet?

I'm just looking for general info at the moment, and am not tied to any particular brand, just looking for a good one and the DR looked like it was a good buy. $760 is a lot of scratch, but I'll drop it if the thing is worth it.
RainDog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
For Office based use primarily, Reading and editing A4 and A3 documents.
The battery despite its problems is and/or will be a lot better than a lot of laptops/tablets.
It is very light and easy to hold.
The display is very good, easy to read and not as tiring as some laptop style displays.
It is great for reading newspapers.
However I find that for books, novels etc, there tends to be a bit too much displayed and I much prefer the Cybook for general reading, but for comics I would think it is wonderful.

It displays jpg's very well too.

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
InlawBiker
Connoisseur
InlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enoughInlawBiker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1.0
It sounds like you're asking, "Why would you pay that much when there are cheaper options?"

It's not that much more money if it's a primary business tool. Maybe if you're a writer, editor, publisher, or you just read a hell of a lot. Work supplies me with a $2000 laptop instead of a $650 Best Buy model, and it's a good investment.

Greg.
InlawBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
sigma8
Zealot
sigma8 doesn't littersigma8 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog2 View Post
For those of you who have the thing--why did you opt for it over some other reader?

I'm just wondering, because it is far and above the most expensive reader out there.
Why opt for it? It's very different. It has a significantly larger screen and let's you write on it (digitally) with a stylus. Some people want/need those features.

If you insist on a larger screen, it's going to cost you more. End of story. And the built-in wacom technology is not free either. If you go to the iRex website, they talk about it as a replacement for paper printouts.
sigma8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
I bought mine primarily as a much lighter option vs. a laptop (the closest laptop in weight is the Macbook Air at 3 lbs.) for reading 8.5 x 11" PDF documents plus with the ability to make quick handwritten notes & edits directly on my own documents. Frankly, I can take it and use it in many places that I simply couldn't take a regular laptop. Since I don't use MS Word, a tablet laptop simply isn't a viable option for me at all because my word processor of choice doesn't offer a tablet edition.

All in all, the DR 1000s is proving to be an excellent purchase for me.
Even so, the DR doesn't entirely replace paper printouts for me because I often have to create printed handouts to give to other people.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #6
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

BTW, I also have a Kindle, and I actually use it more as I spend more time reading fiction on it than RPG's on the DR. But in the situations where I need my DR, I wouldn't want anything smaller or less capable.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
oddity
oddity began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook/V3
I'm not sure why people who have it bought it got it, but I know why I wouldn't consider it: touch input. The presence of touch input rules out a device from my buying list because I have had lots of touch devices and they always receive erroneous commands whenever I accidentally touch them, plus the screens get dirty from my fingers all the time. So unless I can disable touch input, the presence of touch would make it a no-no for me.

iRex has the same model without touch though, it's called 1000 rather than 1000S, but it looks like there isn't availability. 1000 is within my considerations when thinking of an A4-sized reader that I need for reading PDF scientific papers, albeit I would probably prefer to wait for Jinke V9 (but it seems to get delayed a lot).

Scientific papers are notoriously difficult to read on small screens because of footnotes, small print, and columned text. So you either have to convert the PDF to something else, read it on A4, or not read it at all (except if you want to go blind!)

Last edited by oddity; 05-04-2009 at 02:47 AM.
oddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddity View Post
I'm not sure why people who have it bought it got it, but I know why I wouldn't consider it: touch input. The presence of touch input rules out a device from my buying list because I have had lots of touch devices and they always receive erroneous commands whenever I accidentally touch them, plus the screens get dirty from my fingers all the time. So unless I can disable touch input, the presence of touch would make it a no-no for me.
AFAIK the touch interface is via Wacom tablet technology - i.e. you need to use a wacom pen. So it's not like a pressure type or (whaddatheycalled) reactive? touch technology like you describe.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
And if you wish, you can switch off the Touch pad.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
I bought it, because i wanted to upgrade the screen size from my 4" HP Ipqa HX4700 to something bigger. 6" was too small (for me), 8" sounded perfect, but then, Irex stated, that they will not support the Iliad with Adobe Digital Edition, only the DR1000 is licenced. Latest, plastic logic has moved their reader towards spring 2010, so the DR1000S was the choice. I love this device.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #11
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
And if you wish, you can switch off the Touch pad.
Has someone tried, to switch of the wacom and the sensors at the same time, yet?
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #12
alxwang
Connoisseur
alxwang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PocketBook 360
Actually I have same question about DR1000s too.
But I bought dr1000s and sony 505 both used.
When these two units both in my hand I feel really happy with my purchase.
Why DR1000s? 1280x1024 10 inched screen with best PDF render and fbreader.
I can put any pdf into sd card and then read. Do not even think about conversion, resize.
I also like DR1000's open OS design. To make it support Chinese just two line to command.
Why I got 505? Because I also like to read novel and DR1000 is too heavy and has short battery life.
So if you do not mind buy used just do what I did. The total cost is less then a new Dr1000s.
alxwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
PhishStyx
The me that I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThR View Post
Has someone tried, to switch of the wacom and the sensors at the same time, yet?
Yeah, I can't wait for somebody to try this and go around wailing that they can't use the thing.