Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2008, 01:46 AM   #121
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Only just noticed the existence of the light wedge when browsing the waterstones web site this afternoon but think this is the deal clincher for me as I was already on the verge of picking up the prs-505 on a trip to London (pending the 02 Oct Sony announcement)

Thanks for all the information on this thread
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:54 AM   #122
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have been thinking about how to apply paint to the edges without making a mess and I didn't particularly want to put tape on the lens because it might gum up the screen. I remembered something my kids had used at craft markets... It is an enamel paint pen that you can get from just about any hardware or hobby shop. It is actual enamel paint but is applied like a Sharpie marker. Worked very slick. I put one coat on of white and it worked very well, cut the light leakage by about 60%. I am going to apply another coat in a day or two to give the paint plenty of time to dry and harden. The 1st coat only took about 20 minutes to dry to the touch. It was still a little soft, so I want to give it a chance to harden before I apply a second white coat on. I don't think I will follow up with a black coat because the white looks natural.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 06:13 PM   #123
kaidoy021
kaidoy021 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedavis1 View Post
I have been thinking about how to apply paint to the edges without making a mess and I didn't particularly want to put tape on the lens because it might gum up the screen. I remembered something my kids had used at craft markets... It is an enamel paint pen that you can get from just about any hardware or hobby shop. It is actual enamel paint but is applied like a Sharpie marker. Worked very slick. I put one coat on of white and it worked very well, cut the light leakage by about 60%. I am going to apply another coat in a day or two to give the paint plenty of time to dry and harden. The 1st coat only took about 20 minutes to dry to the touch. It was still a little soft, so I want to give it a chance to harden before I apply a second white coat on. I don't think I will follow up with a black coat because the white looks natural.
Can you post a pic of your project? Thanks
kaidoy021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:37 AM   #124
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaidoy021 View Post
Can you post a pic of your project? Thanks
Here are the edges of the light lens, sorry for the blurry pictures, it was morning and dark when I took them, so they didn't come out really well. The last one is a picture of the type of paint pen that I used. I will probably use a black as a final coat. I will try to get some better pictures before I finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moto_0020.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	16943   Click image for larger version

Name:	moto_0021.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	253.2 KB
ID:	16944   Click image for larger version

Name:	moto_0023.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	16945  
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:14 PM   #125
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Just tested the thing.
Definitely not for me.

Nice idea but that's it.
I didn't like how it was glowing into my eyes. I felt immediately uncomfortable as with my previous unlucky attempts with small LED lights. It is like switching on a torch and looking into it. Just a lighter version. The vertical dark lines didn't bother me. Reader+ cover = quite big and cluncky contraption.
When I showed to my wife, her first impression: will tire my eyes. Which was exactly what I thought about it.

Returning it back to my colleague who bought it and wanted me to test it for him

Last edited by astra; 10-21-2008 at 03:28 PM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #126
JulesReader
JulesReader began at the beginning.

Sony reader light cover

Like one of the other posters, this may sound sort of negative, but I'm wondering if others have had the same experience.

I LOVE the light quality and don't mind the added weight at all, but ...

I do find that the plastic lens is easily smudged and I have a few scratches/dents .... I don't think I've been hard on it at all so really don't know where they came from.

I also find the light tends to slip out of the cover really easily. The little plastic clips don't hold it tightly enough.

Thoughts anyone?

Jules
JulesReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:55 AM   #127
dynamike
Enthusiast
dynamike began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesReader View Post
I do find that the plastic lens is easily smudged and I have a few scratches/dents .... I don't think I've been hard on it at all so really don't know where they came from.
It is true that the lens is easily smudged. Those smudges are especially bothersome when they stick on the rougher side of the lens which rests on the reader. I have yet to find a suitable cleaning procedure to remove those smudges.

Regarding dents and scratches I have yet to experience those. Maybe it is because I only use the light cover only at night while reading in bed. Every morning before leaving the house I switch covers an move the reader to the simple original one. I prefer that during the day because it is less bulky and lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesReader View Post
I also find the light tends to slip out of the cover really easily. The little plastic clips don't hold it tightly enough.
With my cover neither the reader or the light assembly ever slipped out of the plastic bracket. Although I rarely remove the light from it I do remove and insert the reader every day. I find that the plastic bracket still holds very tight without any signs of the plastic going soft.

Mike
dynamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:56 AM   #128
DebT
Enthusiast
DebT began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have the sony light cover...its great at night but like others I change it out during the day...the light does not flip back with the cover which is irksome. But I love the light provided by the lightwedge. I bought a seperate light wedge cover to pop the whole sony with cover into to keep it free of bag stuff. I don't think it is really 70 bucks worth but as it was a gift I love it. jmho
DebT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #129
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamike View Post
I have yet to find a suitable cleaning procedure to remove those smudges.
I bought a microfiber cloth from Bed Bath & Beyond. It works great. I just breathe on the plastic and wipe it off with the clothe. It also works for the screen of the ereader.
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #130
Laserjock
Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.Laserjock can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-350; PRS-505RC; iPhone 4
Found the PRS-ACL1 on sale at Fry's for $49.99

Fry's Electronics has the lighted cover on sale for $49.99 until Jan. 6th (regular price $59.99). I saw three on the shelf. Their website has the cover for $59.99, did not see a sale price.

-Laserjock-
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #131
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I just bought the PRSA-CL1 after reading about it here. It works as you all described, yet I overlooked one thing until I got it today: the frosted glass on the light wedge. The text isn't clear, a bit blurry, like the photocopied effect that someone described. Definitely not as good as reading in the daytime or even low light conditions, such as my commuter train.

I kind of thought the light wedge glass would be clear. I can see now it must be frosted to reduce glare.
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #132
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Novus makes well-known plastic cleaners that will work. Novus 1 (a spray) will clean the lightwedge just fine. Novus 2 (a cream) can be used to buff out fine scratches. Novus products are standard stuff for maintaining plastics in the pinball industry.

On a side note, Sony is releasing new booklight covers for the 300 and 600--but neither is a lightwedge. Instead, they have fold-out LED lights, with a battery holder along the spine.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #133
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
On a side note, Sony is releasing new booklight covers for the 300 and 600--but neither is a lightwedge. Instead, they have fold-out LED lights, with a battery holder along the spine.
I saw this as well and I am VERY VERY disapointed! Not having a good night reading solution is a deal breaker for me. I can't imagine that the reading light at the top of the book is going to work any better than all the clip on lights I tried and discarded (I hope to be proven wrong). I guess the problem is that you can't touch the screen with the light wedge over it. Botom line though is that I will not upgrade to the new reader and I guess I better buy a backup cover in case the stop selling these things...

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #134
dicksinclair
dicksinclair began at the beginning.

I bought one of these lights plus cover about six months ago and although it looks good it does not work well for me. I have given up on it, at night I just use a lamp.

Dick
dicksinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:10 PM   #135
AvPlaya
AvPlaya began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
These are on-sale now at Staples for $39.99. Just picked one up today.
AvPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!