Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
2 questions

First: on an eink reader, doesn't matter which, does the entire page have to refresh all at once or can parts of the page refresh leaving the rest.

Second: I need to edit some non-drm'ed mobi books that I created. Such as correcting paragraphing, spelling, adding table of contents, etc. Which software will edit a mobi book. I have the Mobi Creator, but I can't seem to open an already formated book. Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Alyson
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Second: I need to edit some non-drm'ed mobi books that I created. Such as correcting paragraphing, spelling, adding table of contents, etc. Which software will edit a mobi book. I have the Mobi Creator, but I can't seem to open an already formated book. Any suggestions.
Alyson, the Kindle offers a clipping and note-taking function. You can highlight a portion of the existing text, clip text to a "clippings file" and add your own annotations -- kind of like writing in the margins of a paper book. The highlights and notes are kept in a side file attached to the main book file, and the Kindle allows you to navigate from one highlight/annotation to the next. Highlighted text, clippings, and your notes also wind up in a text file named "My Clippings.txt" which you can transfer to your PC and then open up in any text editor.

Now, to edit the MobiPocket books, I suspect that you need to go back to the HTML files that were used as input to create the book -- you did say that these are MobiPocket books that you created -- and then apply the corrections that you noted when you were proofreading the book. Rebuild the book with the updated file(s). I don't know of any program that allows you to directly edit the MobiPocket file. But, there are people around here who are a lot smarter than I am, so perhaps they will know of a way.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, the books I want to edit come from two sources. One, I was just reading one I downloaded from here, mobiread, and noticed some formating errors. (I'm kinda picky about formating) Mostly, paragraphing.

But, the ones I'd like to add table of contents and hyperlinks too, I'm transferring from my word processor. I don't get into HTML. And it seems my hyperlinks in my word processor don't tranfer when MobiReader converts them. I haven't tried to use MobiCreator with my files yet. I guess I'd like to have the mobireader as a word processor I could edit with. Guess not, huh.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Actually, the books I want to edit come from two sources. One, I was just reading one I downloaded from here, mobiread, and noticed some formating errors. (I'm kinda picky about formating) Mostly, paragraphing.

But, the ones I'd like to add table of contents and hyperlinks too, I'm transferring from my word processor. I don't get into HTML. And it seems my hyperlinks in my word processor don't tranfer when MobiReader converts them. I haven't tried to use MobiCreator with my files yet. I guess I'd like to have the mobireader as a word processor I could edit with. Guess not, huh.
reporting errors to the person posting the eBooks here at MobileRead is a good idea. That way they will likely get fixed in the book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:

Not. Yeah, Mobipocket Creator is just for creating the mobi ebooks from the source files. You're going to have to either create a Microsoft Word .doc file with all the editing done (Mobi Creator will use such files) or use an HTML editor. But Word will save as HTML (I think it's called Save To/As Webpage.) directly.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
First: on an eink reader, doesn't matter which, does the entire page have to refresh all at once or can parts of the page refresh leaving the rest.

Parts of the page can be updated leaving the rest. However, this is used relatively infrequently on most devices (its relatively slow and can cause ghosting). The Epson and E-Ink developed advanced display controller is not in any actual devices yet, but it may allow more efficient partial updates.

If you want to edit the contents, then the only option is to explode the MOBI back into HTML with either MobiPerl (mobi2html) or Calibre (mobi2oeb). However, it is usually better to get the original source because typically at least some information is lost in the original conversion to MOBI.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
... You're going to have to either create a Microsoft Word .doc file with all the editing done (Mobi Creator will use such files) or use an HTML editor. But Word will save as HTML (I think it's called Save To/As Webpage.) directly.

Derek
I'll give that a try. But, FYI, I detest Word, I'm a WordPerfect fanatic. Won't touch Word at all. Wordperfect also exports to HTML, so I'll go that route.

Where can I get this MobiPerl that was metioned.

Thanks for the replies,
Alyson