Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #91
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The post at:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170566

Contains links to both the datasheet on the cable your using and to the datasheet on the chip which is molded into the cable.

It is fairly programmable, I would not be surprised to find that it has a loopback test mode that could be useful here.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #92
cavorite
Enthusiast
cavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the end

Location: Milky Way galaxy, Orion-Cygnus arm, Sol-III, North America, USA, FL
Device: various iDevices
FTDI quite generously makes available a Factory Test Utility http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Docu...%20utility.pdf, but it needs a specially wired cable and a second serial port. Given the 1.8v output, I'd need at least a level converter, if not another (functional) FTDI 1.8v TTL to USB cable. If I have one of those then testing becomes a moot point.

At this point, the basic hardware loopback will be enough to determine if I need to order a new cable. At least that's a better alternative than if the DX serial port is broken.
cavorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #93
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Too save the soldering / un-soldering to the DX connection pads . . .
You might want to cut the adapter cable back aways from the DX and insert a 3-circuit audio jack/plug in-line.
Sort-of a poor mans "quick dis-connect" device.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #94
cavorite
Enthusiast
cavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the endcavorite knows the complete value of PI to the end

I used a three pin fan connector when I did the original wiring. Ground in the center, just in case I needed to exchange RX and TX.
Resoldering on PCBs is best avoided. Lifted pads are not fun.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #95
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavorite View Post
I used a three pin fan connector when I did the original wiring. Ground in the center, just in case I needed to exchange RX and TX.
Resoldering on PCBs is best avoided. Lifted pads are not fun.
I usually do connector layout so that you can safely short any two adjacent pins together (whenever possible). Just personal preference after a lifetime of electronics hobby and work experience. In this case, I would do "GND-RxD-TxD". Another benefit (for SIP pin headers) is that you can use a jumper to test RxD (loopback).

But then you need to know which side is GND, of course.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #96
cavorite
Enthusiast

I usually do connector layout so that you can safely short any two adjacent pins together (whenever possible).

Excellent safety idea. I guess it depends on your audience. For end users, idiot proof and safety over flexibility. For test/design users, flexibility and ease of modification, but safety not too far behind. I am reminded of the old TV "cheater" cords.

Since I was designing for myself and one-time use (hopefully), I scrounged instead of ordered. This should have been a quick, trivial affair (sigh).
Old 09-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #97
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Since I was designing for myself and one-time use (hopefully), I scrounged instead of ordered. This should have been a quick, trivial affair (sigh).
It IS a quick, trivial affair;

Once lab126 publishes the technical reference manual to their DX and DXG design.

Until then, I will keep right on typing up a table of the hardware memory address map, drawn from the published source code. (While trying to ignore the code typo's in the source.)
Just hang in there, I'm typing as fast as an old man can look things up.

Credit where credit is due: With a bit of help from GCC's (usually turned off) abilities to generate various interesting listings and cross-references.

Last edited by knc1; 09-30-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #98
knc1
Going Viral

It may be that your DX is responding to software flow control (ctrl-s, ctrl-q).

Perhaps it choked on a stray ctrl-s (might have been passed by the terminal setting up the USB device's UART) ;
Try giving it a ctrl-q
Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 PM   #99
cavorite
Enthusiast

Well - I'll try that soon as the new usb-serial cable comes in. The simple loopback test failed, and hopefully that was the sole guilty party.

Ever wonder if lab126 has an occasional look here? Hope we provide some amusement...
Old 10-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #100
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Well - I'll try that soon as the new usb-serial cable comes in. The simple loopback test failed, and hopefully that was the sole guilty party.

Ever wonder if lab126 has an occasional look here? Hope we provide some amusement...
Gremlins?

Do you save things?
Even broken things?

I would keep that "bad" cable for its four programmable control leads.
Who knows? You might someday have something CMOS that needs its reset button pushed remotely via USB.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #101
cavorite
Enthusiast

Oh definitely. I can't bring myself to toss out stuff like this without proof it's completely dead, but neither am I going to take the time to exhaustively test it for every possible use. I collect old radios and test equipment to fix them, and saving parts is a habit.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #102
knc1
Going Viral

Don't give up on this recovery project.
I am still looking things up, it is just taking a bit longer than I had expected.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #103
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Good advice for life really.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #104
cavorite
Enthusiast

Waiting on my replacement USB/serial adapter, then ready for guinea pig duty...
Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #105
knc1
Going Viral

U-Boot notes

Two little notes:

That: "press any key to stop autoboot: " prompt . . .

You can press the key at any time prior to the prompt, you don't have to wait to be prompted.
(The uart receive buffer is not flushed prior to the prompt.)

The: "Does the battery charge while sitting in u-boot?" question.
Ans: Yes.
It is noted as a special lab126 addition to u-boot, the charger current limit is set to the 500ma limit while in u-boot.

I can imagine why . . .
It lets the lab126 developer go home at the end of the day with the Kindle sitting at the u-boot command prompt and not finding the battery dead when returning to work the next morning.