Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Free space discrepancy and searching

I added on a few songs and notice that the Fire says I have 6.10 Gb left of 6.54 Gb available. However, when connecting it to my PC, the PC shows that the Kindle Fire only has 4.95 Gb left of 5.00 Gb.

Why are the numbers different?

I also downloaded some of my Osnova Bibles (KJV and NET) and notice that search for a verse in the Direct Verse Jump bibles take much longer than they used to take on my 3 Generation Kindle Keyboard.

Maybe they need to index themselves for a few days.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I added on a few songs and notice that the Fire says I have 6.10 Gb left of 6.54 Gb available. However, when connecting it to my PC, the PC shows that the Kindle Fire only has 4.95 Gb left of 5.00 Gb.

Why are the numbers different?

I also downloaded some of my Osnova Bibles (KJV and NET) and notice that search for a verse in the Direct Verse Jump bibles take much longer than they used to take on my 3 Generation Kindle Keyboard.

How to explain this. Android has what you call internal memory and external memory. It doesn't matter if it's external SD card or internal SD Card it's basically two partitions. The PC will only see the external memory. Some apps will install on the SD Card not internal or it will install on the external leaving a few files on the internal depending how the developer has it set.

So it looks likes the internal memory is around 1GB and the rest external. Keep that in mind when installing apps. I don't know if App2SD will work on the Fire but it will move some apps to the external memory for you to free up space on the internal.

I hope I didn't confuse you.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Yes - it seems that the partition that is actually user accessible from the pc is limited to just 5gb. When viewed from the settings menu it is listed as 6 point something, which probably includes some extra internal partition for books or apps or something.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
Yes - it seems that the partition that is actually user accessible from the pc is limited to just 5gb. When viewed from the settings menu it is listed as 6 point something, which probably includes some extra internal partition for books or apps or something.
For apps. Android has to have that space. on my phone it's only 256MB which means I have to really watch what I install. it doesn't matter if it has a SD Slot or not I am still limited by internal memory which is why moving apps to the SD card is a must.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
SD card inside Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So it looks likes the internal memory is around 1GB and the rest external. Keep that in mind when installing apps. I don't know if App2SD will work on the Fire but it will move some apps to the external memory for you to free up space on the internal.

I hope I didn't confuse you.
Thanks for that explanation. It appears the extra 1 GB is the internal, sealed SD card for Android Apps. That means the Logos Bible App should work once it goes Gold since it required an SD card to run.

Right now that one is still in beta format and Amazon has my device in the window to install it with an "X." That means its not yet fully compatible with the Fire.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Thanks for that explanation. It appears the extra 1 GB is the internal, sealed SD card for Android Apps. That means the Logos Bible App should work once it goes Gold since it required an SD card to run.

Right now that one is still in beta format and Amazon has my device in the window to install it with an "X." That means its not yet fully compatible with the Fire.
Yeah it kind of misleading you see 4GB or 8GB but it's really isn't true because you're really still limited by internal memory (unless you root) how many apps take up space on the internal memory. Some developers don't get it and leave these huge apps non movable. Of course widgets is another reason an app might not be movable to external memory.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:

Kindle Fire does not use index for its search function. So, it has to go through the entire text for each search. This is frustrating.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote