Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
K3 losing my place in the book

Has anyone experienced this problem? My K3 occasionally loses my place in a book, reverting to a previous bookmark when I open from the screensaver. It doesn't happen often, but it happened to me several times while reading A Dance with Dragons. I wonder if it's an issue because of the size of the book, as I haven't had the issue with my most recent reads.

I generally keep the wireless shut off to preserve battery life.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
It shouldn't happen if you aren't turning the Kindle completely off. Things to try:

• Restart the Kindle

• Exit the book to Home screen when you are done reading.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
I have found that if you don't exit back to the homescreen when you are finished reading that it can sometimes lose your place.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #4
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Device: A sweet PRS-500, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
Has anyone experienced this problem?

I generally keep the wireless shut off to preserve battery life.
Yes, this has happened to me. Turning the wireless back on for several minutes cleared it up the issue. Clock got lost and needing to touch base with the network for a re-sync.
oggelbe2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjono View Post
I have found that if you don't exit back to the homescreen when you are finished reading that it can sometimes lose your place.
Ah, thanks, I'll try doing that. Worth the extra button press to avoid having to hunt down my spot (or to remember a keyword that can take me right back there).
Advert
Old 08-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
Lazybones
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggelbe2007 View Post
Yes, this has happened to me. Turning the wireless back on for several minutes cleared it up the issue. Clock got lost and needing to touch base with the network for a re-sync.
That's strange... why would it need to know the time to save the bookmark?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This sounds to me like a corrupt file system. You haven't been unplugging your Kindle from the USB without doing a "Safely Remove Hardware" first, have you?

I'd suggest checking the drive for errors.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
oggelbe2007
Limited Warranty
oggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enoughoggelbe2007 will become famous soon enough

Device: A sweet PRS-500, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
That's strange... why would it need to know the time to save the bookmark?
To the Kindle your bookmark is really just a time stamp with some additional information attached; which book, what page you were reading when you stopped, etc. So if your clock is no longer valid the kindle has no way of knowing which bookmark is the most current. Clocks are *sometimes* lost when you run completely out of power, upgrade your software, use 3rd party software to transfer books, etc. My clock dropped back to Jan 1 1970 (epoch) after a pdf generated reset (go figure). Turning the wireless back on reset the clock and the bookmarks snapped into place perfectly. And I'm back in business!
oggelbe2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
Lazybones
Groupie

Thanks, I'll try all of the suggestions provided here.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #10
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
@Lazybones: my Mother's Kindle was doing this recently also and I found out that she was not on the latest version of firmware which I think is 2.5.8. Once I upgraded her manually, she now is all good. So far, it's been two weeks, she has not seen this re-occur. So that might be a starting point along with some of the other suggestions. Good Luck!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #11
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The only time I had my K3 not save my spot was when I just closed the cover and didn't put it to sleep first. I must have pressed too hard when I picked it up and the cover pressed the next page button.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
The only time I had my K3 not save my spot was when I just closed the cover and didn't put it to sleep first. I must have pressed too hard when I picked it up and the cover pressed the next page button.
I used to think my K2 was doing this same thing, but it turned out to be the very problem you mentioned. I would often "open" the book only to find myself at a previous chapter that I knew I had read beyond. It turns out that closing the cover too hard, or squeezing it just so (even lightly) can easily nudge the 5-way joystick on the K2. I assume the same is possible with the K3's 5-way directional pad.

Since I got in the habit of putting the Kindle to sleep before I close the cover, the problem has never manifested since.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote