Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Kindle 3 rumors?
Yes 46 49.46%
No 34 36.56%
Depends 13 13.98%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
As I recall even the Crunchgear (Kindle in October) blog said there would be 2 Kindles released fairly close together with the 2nd being the larger one. They were off on the release date by a few months so they could still be right.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #17
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I believe it but I don't think it will be a Kindle 3. It sounds more like a Kindle 2 Deluxe. Kindle 2 Grande, Kindle 2 Vente....

When they didn't provide a memory slot for the Kindle 2 it didn't make sense unless they were planning on coming out with a deluxe model that would allow you to expand.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
SCTrojans83
SCTrojans83 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I believe it because it will be 2 distinct lines. One for paperback reading, and the other more expensive for textbook reading. The 6 inch screen is just too small for textbooks. I'll be like the ilad. they have multiple product lines.
SCTrojans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #19
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ryan View Post
Regarding timing -
Kindle 1 - November launch (missed holidays, ooops)
Kindle 2 - February launch (missed holidays again, ooops)
Kindle history does not follow the typical consumer product retail launch cycle dates. So why assume that there won't be a Kindle 3 at any time this year, next year, tomorrow or whenever? Assuming there is a a Kindle 3, that is.
Kindle 1 launched in time for the holidays. It just sold out which I really doubt they anticipated. Still, even if they had, they have one source for the screens.

I think the assumption that the large Kindle will come later this year specifically is that is when the large screens are going to be available from the supplier. There are other large readers in the works and they're all talking late 2009 for this very reason.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
Nyago123
Nyago123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I voted "Depends" since it's a good brand of incontinence diapers... and I am seconding SCTrojans83's opinion... there'll be a textbook version. It ought to come by the start of the school year though (e.g. August-September) and have a lot of books lined up if they want to be effective. I know that even though Amazon has not been effective on release dates so far, I'd hope they'd be able to leverage their current experience and improve.
Nyago123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:09 PM   #21
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
You mean this rumor?

As Harry might say "Not bloody likely!"
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #22
MN Reader
MN Reader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Just got my first Kindle yesterday. Loved that books were waiting for me. I had pictured in my mind that it would be 8x11, but wasn't disappointed with the smaller size, easier to handle, screen and words are just right. After reading all the messages of wish lists for a new Kindle, I believe that a "3" will come out in a year.
MN Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #23
elainevdw
elainevdw began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
I believe it but I don't think it will be a Kindle 3. It sounds more like a Kindle 2 Deluxe. Kindle 2 Grande, Kindle 2 Vente....

When they didn't provide a memory slot for the Kindle 2 it didn't make sense unless they were planning on coming out with a deluxe model that would allow you to expand.
Kindle 2 Vente! LOL

All I can say is, the technology exists for larger e-ink screens and touchscreen e-ink screens. So it's possible. If someone said a large-format, touch-screen, COLOR e-ink screen... then I'd be dubious.
elainevdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:53 AM   #24
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
You mean this rumor?

As Harry might say "Not bloody likely!"
Why do I see you as that annoying little oriental guy in the first Conan movie? The one who was the narrator. (based on your link)
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #25
Skyblue712
Skyblue712 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I hope so. It could be great for newspapers, magazines and textbooks.
Skyblue712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 11:35 PM   #26
Sinthor
Sinthor began at the beginning.

No way...

I don't believe the rumor. Moreover, I'd be extremely irritated if it turned out to be true. With ANY electronic device, obsolescence is simply a 'fact of life.' However, releasing something with this much of a jump in features, in less than a year from the Kindle 2 would, to me, be a slap in the face to Amazon's customers who have purchased their devices. Even Apple that innovates products constantly, waits at least a year to rev their devices like iPods, that correspond most to the Kindle.
Sinthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:33 AM   #27
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthor View Post
I don't believe the rumor. Moreover, I'd be extremely irritated if it turned out to be true. With ANY electronic device, obsolescence is simply a 'fact of life.' However, releasing something with this much of a jump in features, in less than a year from the Kindle 2 would, to me, be a slap in the face to Amazon's customers who have purchased their devices. Even Apple that innovates products constantly, waits at least a year to rev their devices like iPods, that correspond most to the Kindle.
It may not be the successor to the current Kindle, just a new line. Like the Sony 505 and 700. Or the iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #28
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthor View Post
A large format reader is a separate market as far as I'm concerned. Bigger isn't always better. I wouldn't want to give up my 6" Kindle just because there is a larger model. I want the large model for work. I read a lot of tech documents that need the big screen. They don't do well on the little Kindle. I don't think a big reader would be nearly as comfy for novel reading, though. It would be as nice curling up in my comfy chair with a big tablet and it certainly wouldn't be the sort of thing I would throw in my handbag on a daily basis. It would likely need it's own bag more the size of a laptop case.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #29
LizzieB
LizzieB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle touch 3G
Makes sense

Dosen't Apple update most of their product line annually? Why wouldn't Bezos go after those repeat dollars also, in addition to new users if the size issues are addressed for textbook/ tech maual users?
LizzieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #30
KohnKindle
KohnKindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
No, to a K2 replacement, but maybe to an ereader for textbooks and manuals which would have to be bigger & heavier. I think this would be a great idea, but not for me. Happily I am past my education years and only need a book reader and am in love with my K2.

Later
KohnKindle is offline   Reply With Quote