Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #271
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
IE 10 has flash built in. The thing I see issues with is Java applets. go to a website and get stuck because there is a drop list box or pulldown menu that you need to make a selection with but the applet that runs list/menu doesnt work.
Isn't that the limited white list based flash support? Originally IE on RT wasn't going to allow flash at all, but MS were put under pressure from Disney, Google and a few other sites that were heavily dependant on flash. So MS white listed those sites.

AFAIK if you're not a well known site who has been whitelisted, then flash won't work for your site on IE 10. I could be wrong, MS may have caved totally and I've not been keeping close tabs on the news, but that's the last i heard anyway.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #272
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Isn't that the limited white list based flash support? Originally IE on RT wasn't going to allow flash at all, but MS were put under pressure from Disney, Google and a few other sites that were heavily dependant on flash. So MS white listed those sites.

AFAIK if you're not a well known site who has been whitelisted, then flash won't work for your site on IE 10. I could be wrong, MS may have caved totally and I've not been keeping close tabs on the news, but that's the last i heard anyway.
There is a white list with hundreds of sites on it. You can manually edit it and ad other sites to it.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #273
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
There is a white list with hundreds of sites on it. You can manually edit it and ad other sites to it.
If it's user editable, then that's a perfectly acceptable solution. When I last read about it, that wasn't going to be an option.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #274
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...T-311245.shtml
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #275
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
For those having trouble with the "Modern" GUI, here's two "fixes":
http://www.zdnet.com/two-must-have-d...60/?s_cid=e589

One even lets you run Win8 apps in windows under the desktop interface.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #276
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I used the guide below in Windows RT to edit the white list.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/m...etro-ie10.html

Works for both, the Metro and the desktop IE.

Last edited by HansTWN; 12-13-2012 at 06:15 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #277
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Best Buy now has them. First impression? Me likes.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #278
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Dell delayed delivery on the Latitude 10 again, so I cancelled my order and picked up a Samsung ATIV Smart PC at Best Buy. Amazon had reduced the price to $599 today, so Best Buy price matched (they wanted $699).

I've only had a little time (less than an hour) with it so far, and I don't have a WiFi connection at work, but so far I'm VERY impressed. All the reviews I’ve read say to run the SW updater before doing ANYTHING, but since no WiFi, no update. Now if I could only figger out that dastardlly Win8!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #279
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Now if I could only figger out that dastardlly Win8!
To launch an application on Windows 7:

Press Winkey, then type the first few letters of the application name, and hit enter.

To launch an application on Windows 8:

Press Winkey, then type the first few letters of the application name, and hit enter.

To get the the list of applications you can choose from on Windows 7:

Move mouse to lower left corner of screen, and left click.

To get the the list of applications you can choose from on Windows 8:

Move mouse to lower left corner of screen, and left click.

If you want, you can buy a book like Windows 8 Secrets which makes it sound like, if you can't pass an exam on the difference between metro and desktop, you're in trouble. And if you want to set up a home network, maybe you are. But before I did that, I had no real need to grok the difference.

EDIT: Since you are on a tablet, I guess some of what I wrote above doesn't quite apply unless you are plugging in a keyboard and mouse.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-19-2012 at 07:59 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #280
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Steve,

No, no mouse but I think dragging in from the right or left edge does the same thing. I have a BT mouse and KB that I'll be attaching so I can run it on my big TV via HDMI and I think the corner thing will work there.

Actually since I'm fluent in both Win 7 and Android the learning curve shouldn't be that great. The little bit I've had the chance to play haven't been too painful.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #281
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Those reviewers using the same device as me? Glad I listened to user experiences which more or less are very positive.

Easily the best UI I've personally ever experienced. Just CLICK IT!

Tablets a waste of time? Nope, especially not this one.

Last edited by robertc88; 12-21-2012 at 03:25 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #282
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Samsung Ativ Tab

Just saw the Samsung Ativ Tab in German "Saturn Market".
Windows 8 Pro, not RT.

Extremely disappointing.
I'm not a fan of Samsung design-wise, somehow most of their gadgets always look and feel very "plasticky" to me.
But that's not the main issue here.
I've only played with it for maybe 2 minutes.
But already in that short period, it seemed extremely laggy.
Even when flipping through the tiles, some stuttering was pretty obvious.
Surface RT is way smoother.
I hope, Surface Pro will be as "polished" as Surface RT and not similar to Ativ Tab.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #283
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Just saw the Samsung Ativ Tab in German "Saturn Market".
Windows 8 Pro, not RT.

Extremely disappointing.
I'm not a fan of Samsung design-wise, somehow most of their gadgets always look and feel very "plasticky" to me.
But that's not the main issue here.
I've only played with it for maybe 2 minutes.
But already in that short period, it seemed extremely laggy.
Even when flipping through the tiles, some stuttering was pretty obvious.
Surface RT is way smoother.
I hope, Surface Pro will be as "polished" as Surface RT and not similar to Ativ Tab.

My experience has been that right out of the box, yes it is a bit rough; and that is a software/driver issue. But once you run the included Software Updater (which is no mean feat in and of itself) everything smooths out.

The SW Updater updates something like nine or ten "important" issues and a bit fewer nice to have ones. Several of the drivers (video, sound, etc.) as well as the system bios get updated. From reading the in depth reviews, that is consistent with most of the reviewers’ experiences also.

All in all it's still a 32 bit dual core Atom chip, and you're not going to get Core i5 performance out of it, but then the tradeoff is double the battery life and about $400 US off the price.

Oh, and it doesn’t have Windows 8 Pro, it has Windows 8 standard (x86 version). The Pro upgrade adds a few things like Active Directory Support and Remote Desktop that corporate IT departments might want to have, but nothing that I need on my personal machine. If you really need Pro, it can be had from Microsoft Upgrade for about $66 US.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #284
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
60 day update from Ed Bott a ZDNET:
http://www.zdnet.com/my-60-days-with...45/?s_cid=e589

Quote:
After more than 60 days of steady use, the strengths and weaknesses of the device are much easier to see.

Yes, it does come close to hitting that sweet spot as the perfect work/play combo, especially if your world revolves around Microsoft Office, as mine does. But there are frustrating gaps in the overall experience that make it less than ideal, especially for work scenarios that extend outside of Microsoft’s services.
Quote:
Initially, I had hoped that the Surface could completely replace my notebook for work-related travel. That turned out to be an unrealistic expectation. The Surface is an excellent traveling companion on short trips where I simply need to stay in touch via email and crank out the occasional document in Word, but for business trips I still need a full-strength notebook. Ironically, that means I’m carrying both a Windows 8 notebook and the Surface in my traveling bag. For my needs, it’s a better fit than an iPad at almost exactly the same price.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 AM   #285
drivemac
drivemac began at the beginning.

Device: henry
I tried to software Desktopgate on surface and i'm surprised , because of the software is successfully working on that tablet.. ( i would like to give information if you don't know desktopgate, it is software for the remote control monitoring and management..
drivemac is offline   Reply With Quote