Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
4 GB storage on Kindle?

Perhaps it's been noted before, if so; excuse me.

The Kindle has 4 GB storage= 3 GB for books/doc/audio + about 1 GB for its 'own' functions, like searching, indexing etc.

Try not to exceed the 3 GB that is left, as the Kindle will go unstable:
- doesn't search anymore: says ' needs a minimum of 25 KB for searching' ,
- keeps asking ' Turn Wireless On'
- starts to index all of your items all over again
- battery empty in one day, etc.

That's what happened when I had 3,24 GB on the Kindle. It was really the limit. It went unstable and almost unmanageable. Rebooting didn't help either, of course. I deleted some audio (PC) and a lot of books (through Calibre) and it's allright now.

So; check your GB's on the Kindle once in a while and keep to <=3GB.

Last edited by desertblues; 11-17-2010 at 07:33 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
LUW
Ex-paperboy
LUW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Good to know, thanx for the heads-up!
LUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
ouch.

How many books did you have loaded?

Were there audio books as well.......or music?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
bitschnau
Enthusiast
bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bitschnau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
I wonder how you could exceed the user's space for books and media, etc. and why the Kindle did not pay attention to net let that happen?

Maybe you should give amazon a hint to this as they maybe want to fix this issue in future software releases.

kindle-feedback@amazon.com
bitschnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Sounds painful

I have almost 2 GB left to use so long way to go yet!
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
ouch.

How many books did you have loaded?

Were there audio books as well.......or music?
Well, I use the Kindle as a library/ walk-in closet. I had about 2000 books, gathered over the years; also gathering dust, I gather.
Some audiobooks, some music, all Amazon's free games + scrabble and solitaire.

After a good autumn-cleaning, I decided to use the Kindle for which I bought it = to read without any distractions.
I also have an iPad, iPod, Nintendo DS; so what was I thinking.
I'm good now.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Sounds painful

I have almost 2 GB left to use so long way to go yet!
I've got almost 3GB free. I just keep a couple of books on the device. Calibre homeserver is awesome :-)
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitschnau View Post
I wonder how you could exceed the user's space for books and media, etc.
The issues are because it stores some internal data on the media area such as search index files and some of your settings. Moving the index files on the firmware partition instead wouldn't be a good idea either as you may end up with an even worse problem where the Kindle can't start at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitschnau View Post
why the Kindle did not pay attention to net let that happen?
It can't stop you from filling it up. How would it? When it is in USB drive mode, the Kindle itself doesn't have access to the media area. If it complained at you after you filled up the drive then its a bit late by then anyway. Estimating the size of the search index files would also be difficult without actually generating them first since you can't go by file size alone as you'd overestimate in every case.

If they changed it so that you needed to use a special Kindle sync app and protocol ala iTunes + iPhone then sure, it'd be able to warn you. You'd lose the ability to just plug it in and drag files though.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
It could disable indexing and delete book indices and tell you that you now need to remove some books for searching to work (index files are like 1/4-1/3 the size of the books)

Another option would be to delete some of your content (older stuff) and send it to "archived items"

Last edited by curstpriest; 11-17-2010 at 02:33 PM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
It can't stop you from filling it up. How would it? When it is in USB drive mode, the Kindle itself doesn't have access to the media area.
If it needs 1GB for its own use after you've filled 3GB of the user space then they should partition the filesystem and only mount the user space when it's plugged in. That also means that they should be advertising it as a 3 GB device, not 4.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #11
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I love having all my books dumped right onto my Kindle because I do tend to search through them a lot.

However, if space was a problem, I also store all my ebooks on dropbox.com As long as you are online with wifi or 3G, you can access any Kindle-friendly files (mobi, prc and azw) and download them onto your Kindle right from the Kindle web browser.

Process explained in these two posts:
http://www.kinworm.com/2010/10/backu...g-dropbox.html

http://www.kinworm.com/2010/10/downl...s-to-your.html

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 01-17-2011 at 01:48 PM.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
I love having all my books dumped right onto my Kindle because I do tend to search through them a lot.

However, if space was a problem, I also store all my ebooks on dropbox.com As long as you are online with wifi or 3G, you can access any Kindle-friendly files (mobi, prc and azw) and download them onto your Kindle right from the Kindle web browser.

Process explained in these two posts:

http://www.thekindleworm.com/2010/10...g-dropbox.html

http://www.thekindleworm.com/2010/10...s-to-your.html
Or calibre content server.

The fly in this ointment is that it doesn't work with PDF, or CBZ/ZIP (image file containers) which are generally larger and if they could be downloaded on demand, would confer more benefit in terms of storage savings. Wish Amazon would allow these to download, at least over wifi.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #13
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
If it needs 1GB for its own use after you've filled 3GB of the user space then they should partition the filesystem and only mount the user space when it's plugged in.
It already does that. The partitions for firmware and user data are separate. The user space is formatted as a FAT32 partition so it works as a USB drive.

The issues in this thread are because the user area is full and it doesn't like that happening. What I'm saying is that you can't make it prevent you from filling up the user area.

Quote:
That also means that they should be advertising it as a 3 GB device, not 4.
Yes. Unfortunately everybody measures it based on total storage inside the device and not the usable storage.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
If it needs 1GB for its own use after you've filled 3GB of the user space then they should partition the file system and only mount the user space when it's plugged in. That also means that they should be advertising it as a 3 GB device, not 4.
They do, pay attention.

Quote:
Holds Over 3,500 Books
The ultimate travel companion, Kindle weighs 8.5 ounces and holds up to 3,500 books. No longer pick and choose which books fit in your carry-on. You can always have your entire Kindle library with you.
Go to TECHNICAL DETAILS

Quote:
4GB internal (approximately 3GB available for user content).
You actually get 3.2gb of internal space, and that's not the 3.2gb before formatting, that's actually 3.2gb of usable space after a usable file system is in place.

I know the first thing I did was look @ the features list, and then scroll down to the technical details. I was disappointed that my DXG didn't have an SD slot, but 3gb is still a lot of room for ebooks, even pdfs rarely go over 15mb unless they are pirated scans.

Note that most books are ~ 500k-1mb, so after indexing we'll assume the average 200-300 page novel is 1mb. They assume that the average consumer doesn't know what a MB/GB is or how big an ebook will be. Similarly to how music players/media players can hold 2000 "songs."

AS far as downloading other files via webbrowser, can't you just make your server repackage the files in an archive and rename it to .zip.mobi, and then have a kindle script/kindlet extract the .zip.mobi files. I'm pretty sure the browser would be stupid enough to download them. My 2c. I'd use an archive because text documents can be compressed quite a bit, but you could just straight rename them... Myfile.pdf.mobi or if the double dots confuse it...

have some php script that serves your files like so:
myfile.pdf -> myfile_-typepdf.mobi

download file
basic script that replaces "_-typepdf.mobi" -> .pdf
use whatever string you want really, I bet it would work.

Also, can you use other tools such as ftp/telnet/wget on the kindle to get files over wlan? Haven't tried.

Last edited by curstpriest; 11-17-2010 at 04:05 PM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #15
desertblues
Home for the moment

Darn; my Kindle has gone to heaven. Reboot, reset to factory default.....useless.

Phoned Amazpn this very morning from overseas; they managed to get it re-registred, but that's it. All it does is going from Users Guide to Amazon.com and back.

They'll send me another one;it will arrive.....between the 10th and 21 of january next year, because it has to be an international Kindle for Europe.

Is it because I loaded too many books? I mean, 2000 read and unread. I gathered the books, most of them classics/freebies over the years and I read 4 languages; always read a lot.

So again: take care overloading your Kindle, as it doesn't warn you that you've reached your limit= about 3 GB.

Last edited by desertblues; 11-18-2010 at 11:16 AM.