Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
theodoron
Inspector Gadget
theodoron began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700BC
I'm New - Moving from Tactile to Techno

Okay, I'm a techie and just purchase a new ebook reader. . I am excited about the new technology and love books . Unfortunately, I have to see what books are available through this technology. I got tired of lugging books when I travel and some times I "buffet" read. How long does it take to make the move from holding a book to an ebook?
theodoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodoron View Post
Okay, I'm a techie and just purchase a new ebook reader. . I am excited about the new technology and love books . Unfortunately, I have to see what books are available through this technology. I got tired of lugging books when I travel and some times I "buffet" read. How long does it take to make the move from holding a book to an ebook?

With the Kindle.....about 5 minutes.

And welcome to MobileRead and the wonderful world of e-book readers.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
It took me all of, um, about 5 page turns to get used to the Sony 505, and even less time to appreciate how easy it is to hold compared to the physical version of some of the pbooks I have on there!

As for what books are available, annoyingly not all of them, and even when some books in a series are available as ebooks, others may not be - it can be very frustrating! However, there are a lot of books around to buy or for free, so I'm not going to be running out of material any time soon!

Welcome
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

just a quick question...

what is 'buffet' read?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I took it to mean picking at books - so reading a bit of this, then a bit of that, then a bit of another before going back for a bit of the second and so on...

But I may have totally misunderstood - if I have, I'd like to know too
Advert
Old 12-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi theodoron and welcome to the Forum. I was hooked on the Sony 505 after about four pages
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I took it to mean picking at books - so reading a bit of this, then a bit of that, then a bit of another before going back for a bit of the second and so on...

But I may have totally misunderstood - if I have, I'd like to know too
That makes sense. If so, the automatic 'bookmarking' mine does is perfect.

Do the Sony's have that also?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

It has automatic and manual bookmarking. You need to navigate to the book to pick up the automatic book mark, which hasn't been an issue for me; and I've not yet deliberately used the manual bookmarks on mine (although I did on the store demo model!)
Old 12-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
It has automatic and manual bookmarking. You need to navigate to the book to pick up the automatic book mark, which hasn't been an issue for me; and I've not yet deliberately used the manual bookmarks on mine (although I did on the store demo model!)
exactly.....when you open the book you were reading, it opens to the page you left off. No more bent ears, or broken spines......or dropping the book and losing your place entirely!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
exactly.....when you open the book you were reading, it opens to the page you left off. No more bent ears, or broken spines......or dropping the book and losing your place entirely!
And given the amount of times I've done that, or just had a bookmark fall out, it's wonderful not needing to worry about it!
Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
And, with the Sony's automatic bookmarking (History) feature, even if you flub up and inadvertantly advance a bunch of pages or otherwise lose your place, it's pretty easy to find it again.

Even though you can leave the Sony switched on when you're done reading and not deplete the battery, I've learned to switch it off otherwise I find myself accidentally hitting the page turn button. if you do happen to do that, you just go to History to find where you were.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

They all do that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They all do that.
Thank you, Harry.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
theodoron
Inspector Gadget
theodoron began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700BC
Quote:
just a quick question...

what is 'buffet' read?

Thanks!
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am a school principal and we are getting ready to close for the Christmas holiday...so lots of work. anyway, "Buffet" reading is reading multiple books at once. Generally, I try to read one book at a time, but every now and then I find myself in the midst of five books at once. I love it though!
theodoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:46 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodoron View Post
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I am a school principal and we are getting ready to close for the Christmas holiday...so lots of work. anyway, "Buffet" reading is reading multiple books at once. Generally, I try to read one book at a time, but every now and then I find myself in the midst of five books at once. I love it though!
that's what we were thinking....thanks!