Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The good and the ugly of reading on a smart phone

Good:

1) Fewer things to carry: Going to be carrying the phone anyhow so why not use it for multiple things;
2) Free 3G
3) Costs me $0, my employer supplies it and fixes it for $0;

The ugly

1) Terrible battery life
2 ) Small screen, means flipping pages more often
3) Interruptions from email and text
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
You forgot the bad.
It is "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."
Old Clint Eastwood movie.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #3
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
For me, it's all ugly. I don't enjoy it at all and I have a phone with a large screen.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
What did you do before cell phone & the Phone on the wall? Book huge & clumsy. You are reading ....1 ignore phone keep reading or 2 put the book down & answer the phone?

To me its the same difference. Some one call & I reading I going to Answer the phone.

Cell phone I am reading & it rings I can answer when done go right back to reading with out jumping up & down. Or trying to remember where I left the book or what page I was on.

Battery Life... carry a battery boost
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I generally wear a hoodie/jacket with a pocket big enough for my Kobo H2O. It weighs virtually nothing, and I still have pockets for my iPhone. I can't think of a good reason to read on a such a small screen with what it would do to the battery life, and it being backlit etc. etc.

I ignored the phone in the days of physical books.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I ignored everything when I was in the middle of a good book.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #7
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My new phone has great battery life. It's a Samsung S7. I plug it in every night but I've never run out of power, even if I'm reading on it a lot. Plugging my phone in at night is an old habit. I'd do it no matter how much charge was left.

The only negative is the small screen, but if I'm into a book I flip pages without noticing.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:39 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Hope you 2 didn't miss any emergency phone calls...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
My new phone has great battery life. It's a Samsung S7. I plug it in every night but I've never run out of power, even if I'm reading on it a lot. Plugging my phone in at night is an old habit. I'd do it no matter how much charge was left.
I also plug my phone in at night. That's why it's a good thing that I use my Kindle to read in bed.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
I will never have less than a 5 inch smart phone which is easy to read. My Note 2 is 5.5". The first thing I do when I get home is plug it in to charge, and put it in my pocket the next morning.

I keep my phone in airplane mode 95% of the time so I don't have to worry about distractions. It gets used mainly as an ereader/mp3 player.

Very few people have my cell phone number, and even they know that they can call me at home or work if needed.

My phone is here for my convenience, no one else.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:32 PM   #11
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
For me, the e-ink reader is still the best compromise between real books (which I find easiest and most pleasant to read from, but that are bulky, slow to import, and take up a lot of space) and phones/tablets (versatile multi-purpose devices, high powered, convenient, but backlit, distracting, sunlight-unfriendly, and recharge-intensive).

Mostly, though, it's all about e-ink being easier on my eyes and the readers having the option to turn off the front light when not needed. I spent most of my day in front of an LCD display, I don't need and want to stare at one when reading recreationally.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 04:19 AM   #12
michaeltoye
michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis
Your pros and cons are very subjective.

Personally, if I want to read a book, I'll read the book. If my phone is annoying to read, I'll take my kindle.

I'm 46. There's no stigma for me to carry a satchel/bag with my stuff in it.
michaeltoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #13
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
I will never have less than a 5 inch smart phone which is easy to read. My Note 2 is 5.5". The first thing I do when I get home is plug it in to charge, and put it in my pocket the next morning.
What do you use to read on at home, then? That's when I get most of my reading done. During the day, I may have 10 minutes here and there to read, but most of the time I'm working.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #14
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
I do most of my reading while commuting or traveling, and typically carry an ereader (NOOK Tablet, followed by a NOOK HD) with me for that purpose. I also take my ereader with me on trips, and it's my preferred way of reading books (except textbooks, heavily illustrated books, technical manuals, or periodicals), whether at home or away from home. However, when the NOOK needs recharging, or when out and about sans the NOOK, I have no qualms about reading on my smartphone.

So...

The good (about reading on a smartphone):
  • It's small, convenient to carry, and always at hand, so I can read whenever, wherever I want to
  • It's got onboard reference materials and can access more online, if needed
  • It can easily access my existing Calibre and audiobooks libraries, as well as sources of new material via the Internet, portable storage media, or sideloading
  • The Samsung Galaxy smartphone screens are not uncomfortably small (for most reading)
  • It syncs my reading progress with other devices
  • It's easy to hold one-handed
  • Reading on it, in conjunction with another device, nicely substitutes for flipping between pages of a DTB - especially handy for reading text passages or instructions on one device while viewing associated reference notes or illustrations (e.g., maps, images, graphs, diagrams, charts) on the other. (Big contributor to my decision to forego buying a phablet to serve as both ereader/tablet and phone)
  • It's well-suited to consulting/managing one's shopping list or to following recipes when cooking
  • It recharges quickly, even with a portable battery pack

The bad (about reading on a smartphone):
  • The screen's too small for this to be my primary ereader or sole ereader, since I read many textbooks, technical manuals, image-laden books, and periodicals that better lend themselves to larger screens
  • Unlike NickyWithNook's experience, my Samsung Galaxy S7's battery life is only so-so, when not in airplane mode

The ugly (about reading on any ereading device):
  • Its vampiric dependence upon electricity (unlike a DTB), and hence the need to always carry an "electronics" kit (comprising at minimum, a cord, wall charger, and portable power pack)

Last edited by Froide; 05-22-2016 at 09:21 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #15
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What do you use to read on at home, then? That's when I get most of my reading done. During the day, I may have 10 minutes here and there to read, but most of the time I'm working.

Shari
My 22 inch pc monitor. I have spent years reading from my computer/monitor when I realized I could easily adjust the size of the font while reading my fan fiction Word docs.

Naturally that carried through for ebooks. I had the software on my pc before I bought my first ereader.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote