Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #61
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjh4242 View Post
This is brilliant!!! Thanks so much. It's what I've been looking for for years in terms of a way to integrate a great book reader on my iPad with calibre.

I have a question - I'm not sure if i've done something wrong or if this is a bug or a "feature", so i'm posting here to start with. Happy to provide more details if necessary.

Spoiler:
Here's what I've done so far:

I installed both the iOs reader plugin and the Marvin XD plug in in calibre, and set them up according to the instructions on page 1 of this thread.

I installed Marvin on my iPad and imported the included ebooks.

I connected the iPad to my laptop, started calibre, started Marvin on the iPad and clicked on the cloud and calibre. Hey presto! The device was detected.

I copied my books from my calibre library into Marvin by selecting them in calibre and then clicking "Send to device". Sure enough, they showed up in Marvin. yeay!!!

I then started Marvin XD, and it detected all my books. However, everything i had copied from calibre to Marvin showed up in Yellow, not Green. I don't understand this, because initially there was nothing in my Marvin library except the included books, so the metadata of all the other books should be identical between calibre and Marvin.

I then copied the included books from Marvin into calibre using Marvin XD. They turned green, as I expected.

I disconnected my iPad using the disconnect button in Marvin, and then reconnected again. This time all the books turned yellow, INCLUDING the ones I had copied from Marvin that were green when originally copied.

When I checked the metadata in the books that are yellow, the only thing highlighted as different was the cover. Is there some sort of conversion of the cover which means it does't stay the same between Marvin and calibre? Did I do something wrong in the transfer? Thanks for any clarification you can give.

Details of setup:
Windows 7 x64 on an ASUS ux32vd laptop with 10Gb Ram
calibre x64 1.7.0 clean installed before starting this process
ios Reader applications plugin version 1.2.1
Marvin XD plugin v 1.0.8.
iTunes 11.1.1.11
iPad 3 wi-fi only, 64Gb (with 28Gb free) running ios7
Marvin 2.2.5 on iPad
Looking into it.

G
Old 10-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #62
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@rjh4242, I believe I have resolved the issues that you reported. I'm sending you a PM with an invitation to test the fixes I've put in place before I release a general update.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 10-24-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #63
Homey
Homey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi
I've managed to install the plugin but I'm not sure how to generate Deep View data for any given book on my iPad or in my Calibre library.
Is there an idiots guide on exactly how to do this please?
Old 10-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #64
GRiker

@Homey:
After sending a book to Marvin from calibre, click the Marvin XD icon.

Select a book in the Marvin XD table, then right-click in its 'DV' column. Select Generate Deep View content.

Alternatively, you can generate Deep View content from within Marvin.

You may also want to review the Marvin XD help, available by clicking Help in the lower left corner of the Marvin XD window.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 10-31-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:25 AM   #65
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I've just converted over to using Marvin after Mac OS X Mavericks broke the Calibre process. I moved my library over to Marvin before finding the XD plugin. I installed the plugin for the added functionality and configured it according to the setup instructions, however I get the following error message when trying to launch it:

calibre, version 1.8.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'IndexLibrary' object has no attribute 'title_map'

calibre 1.8 isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Darwin-13.0.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '13.0.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 13.0.0: Thu Sep 19 22:22:27 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2422.1.72~6/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.5
OSX: ('10.9', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.action", line 665, in show_installed_books
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.book_status", line 1191, in initialize
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.book_status", line 3321, in _generate_booklist
AttributeError: 'IndexLibrary' object has no attribute 'title_map'

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have approximately 800 books that I've moved over to Marvin with Calibre.
Advert
Old 10-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #66
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
I've just converted over to using Marvin after Mac OS X Mavericks broke the Calibre process. I moved my library over to Marvin before finding the XD plugin. I installed the plugin for the added functionality and configured it according to the setup instructions, however I get the following error message when trying to launch it:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 1.8.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'IndexLibrary' object has no attribute 'title_map'

calibre 1.8 isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Darwin-13.0.0-x86_64-i386-64bit Darwin ('64bit', '')
('Darwin', '13.0.0', 'Darwin Kernel Version 13.0.0: Thu Sep 19 22:22:27 PDT 2013; root:xnu-2422.1.72~6/RELEASE_X86_64')
Python 2.7.5
OSX: ('10.9', ('', '', ''), 'x86_64')
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.action", line 665, in show_installed_books
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.book_status", line 1191, in initialize
File "calibre_plugins.marvin_manager.book_status", line 3321, in _generate_booklist
AttributeError: 'IndexLibrary' object has no attribute 'title_map'

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have approximately 800 books that I've moved over to Marvin with Calibre.
Please create a GitHub issue as described in the first post in this thread with a debug log. You can find directions for creating a debug log at the plugin's issue tracker in issue #1.

G
Old 10-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #67
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Please create a GitHub issue as described in the first post in this thread with a debug log. You can find directions for creating a debug log at the plugin's issue tracker in issue #1.

G
Done, thanks for the responsiveness.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #68
monkeybutler
monkeybutler began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro (2nd Gen)
Hi This is a great plugin, but I can't get it to work on my iPad2. I am getting the following error when I try to connect Marvin to Calibre - can you help?

calibre, version 1.10.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

u'st_size'

File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 85, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 480, in _books
File "/var/folders/32/nz0rrjkn58n15l0wd5vxbj240000gn/T/calibre_1.10.0_tmp_i4jKFq/8OU6p__ios_local_db/Marvin_overlays.py", line 322, in books
KeyError: u'st_size'
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #69
GRiker

@monkeybutler,
This error indicates that calibre is unable to communicate with your iPad.

Some users have reported that restarting their computer and resetting the iPad resolves the problem.

Try the following steps:
  • Exit calibre, disconnect your iPad
  • Reboot your computer
  • Do a hard reset on your iPad by holding the Home button and Power button together until you see the Apple icon, then release the buttons
Try connecting again.

If that fails, then create an issue at the GitHub issue tracker as described in the If you have problems section of the first post in this thread.

G
Old 11-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #70
Homey

Thank you!
I managed to generate the content for a few books but every now and then, some books don't show any content when viewed on the ipad!
There's a dialog box that says something like "this chapter has no characters or names" or something like that when clearly there are names & characters!
Have I done something wrong?

Also is it possible to view the DV content out side of the iPad?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #71
GRiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Thank you!
I managed to generate the content for a few books but every now and then, some books don't show any content when viewed on the ipad!
There's a dialog box that says something like "this chapter has no characters or names" or something like that when clearly there are names & characters!
Have I done something wrong?

Also is it possible to view the DV content out side of the iPad?
@Homey, these questions should be asked in the Marvin forum where they can be answered by Marvin's developer.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 11-12-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #72
Homey

Doh!
Sorry about that, should have been paying attention!

Regards
H.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #73
kakkalla
Zealot
kakkalla doesn't litterkakkalla doesn't litter

This is a brilliant piece of software! It is free, yes free, for the iPad (I think).

I don't read much on my iPhone but I am going to buy the app so that the developers can put bread on their table and keep improving this piece of software. Well done!

I have one query though. I am not getting the Blue icon Marvin XD with the XD in the red circle when I connect my iPad. Is there some preference I need to change?

See http://blog.marvinapp.com/post/61116544554
for what I mean.

Thank you.

UPDATE: Problem solve. It would help if I installed the Marvin XD plugin as well as the Marvin one, yes? Sometimes you don't see the forest because of the trees.

Last edited by kakkalla; 11-13-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #74
GRiker

@kakalla,
If you have configured the iOS reader applications plugin with Marvin as your preferred reading application, and you've installed the Marvin XD plugin, the blue Marvin XD icon may not be visible due to your window width.

If there's a chevron (>>) at the right end of the toolbar, click that to see additional icons that can't be displayed at your current window width.

You can adjust the order of the displayed icons in the toolbar by opening Preferences|Interface|Toolbar, then clicking The main toolbar when a device is connected. Find Marvin XD in the list of Current actions, select it and click the up arrow repeatedly to move it just under the Location manager icon.

G
Old 11-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #75
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

I downloaded Marvin for my iPad, and started it. I downloaded its free books, and then tried to download new books. To my delight I discovered it was designed to use Calibre as a source. Except it requires a plug-in that doesn't work with OSX Mavericks according to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=215624. (I did install it, and there's a Marvin button on my Calibre, which brought me to file:///Users/HBrazee/Library/Preferences/calibre/plugins/Marvin_XD_resources/help/help.html) - but I get an error with the "Annotations" column due column label not being unique)

So I am creating this thread hoping to get notified when this is working.

Also, is there a way to get those downloaded books from Marvin to Calibre?

Oh, I never found a "Match Status" button.
Closed Thread