Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: October 2010 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson 22 25.88%
Risen by Jan Strnad 41 48.24%
Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay 22 25.88%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #76
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not sure if I protested in the nomination thread. But I did protest in this thread. And to be honest, because the Dexter book was allowed, I do feel that the entire vote is wrong and should be redone with just the two books.
Jon, you're not happy with the nominations or the vote and want to void it all. Well... that's a change... usually you are so contented.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #77
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I'm not sure if I protested in the nomination thread. But I did protest in this thread. And to be honest, because the Dexter book was allowed, I do feel that the entire vote is wrong and should be redone with just the two books.
I just downloaded a sample of Darkly Dreaming Dexter. It's not exactly horror, but what other category would you place a book in whose hero is a serial killing psychopath? It doesn't fit the Romance or Humor categories. Poe's "The Black Cat" is considered horror, and there's not a supernatural element in it. In fact, there's very little if any of the supernatural in the writings of the "Master of the Macabre."

I just finished Risen and loved it. I hope to read all three of this month's selections before Seth calls me home.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-04-2010 at 09:46 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #78
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Poe is "psychological horror", Tom.

The "Dexter" books are thrillers.
Serial killer/vigilante thrillers, to be exact.

If they are horror, Stephen King's "Misery" is romance.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Jon, you're not happy with the nominations or the vote and want to void it all. Well... that's a change... usually you are so contented.

BOb
But why was a book that's not horror allowed into the vote when the category is horror? Now we have a skewed vote because the Dexter book is not horror at all. It is a thriller as reculse said previously. All the votes for the Dexter book could possible have gone to the other losing book making it a winner. So really, all the votes for the Dexter book should be recast for one of the other books. I know it was said that if three people think it's horror, it is, but they were incorrect. So if three people wanted Gone With the Wind, would it be classed as horror also?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:05 AM   #80
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
If they are horror, Stephen King's "Misery" is romance.
That's the best comparison I've seen, and it made me laugh LOL.

Dexter isn't horror, I don't even have it in my catalog as horror, or Thriller, it's just under Fiction.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 11:33 AM   #81
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Now, wait a minute. She WAS, after all, his number one fan. How can you get more romantic than that?
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 PM   #82
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
But why was a book that's not horror allowed into the vote when the category is horror?
What was your nomination? I missed it.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:17 AM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
What was your nomination? I missed it.
I didn't nominate. I missed the fact that the nomination thread was going to on;y run for way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way too short a time.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:07 AM   #84
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't nominate. I missed the fact that the nomination thread was going to on;y run for way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way way too short a time.
It ran for the same amount of time any other nomination thread ran for. As a matter of fact, it ran longer... because previous months recently we have gotten to 10 books quite quickly.

BOb
Old 10-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #85
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It ran for the same amount of time any other nomination thread ran for. As a matter of fact, it ran longer... because previous months recently we have gotten to 10 books quite quickly.

BOb
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #86
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Did we start discussing this somewhere yet? Did we even declare the winner? Unbelievable as I find this, it's October already!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #87
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Did we start discussing this somewhere yet? Did we even declare the winner? Unbelievable as I find this, it's October already!
The winner is _Risen_ see the poll. THe discussions starts on the 20th of the month.

BOb
Old 10-09-2010, 09:00 AM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This month's vote is like voting for President and finding out that the Independent candidate is a Canadian citizen and not eligible after all the vote have been cast.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #89
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
But you ALWAYS say that Jon!

Sheesh!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:08 AM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But you ALWAYS say that Jon!

Sheesh!
Only when it's true.