Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Can't get Hierarchy (subgroups) to work

I'm not having success getting hierarchy tags to work (as described here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_groups.html) on 1.7. This is the first time I've ever tried custom columns or hierarchies.

On my one library that has been around for quite sometime (probably back to 0.8 or so) I can't get it to work.

On a whim I installed a brand new 1.7 instance on a machine that has never had Calibre. Imported some books and created the same column as described no the web page. Created a few tags and things work as expected.

On my machine that doesn't work I just get a single-level list of tags like this:
history.general
history.military

etc.

Any ideas of troubleshooting before starting from scratch with a new library?

Follow-up question: what does the # mean in front of a user-defined column (#genre).
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The '#' distinguishes the column as a custom column as opposed to a factory installed (e.g. title) column - you can't edit or delete factory installed columns.

It may mean other things too, but I think that's the 'gist' of it.

I can't help you with your main issue - genre works for me (to the extent that I use it - which isn't much), I think I created it when I was running 0.8.nn.

BR

I'd use the genre more if I could preload it, maybe from a standard reference source.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Did another test and created a brand new library on the problem machine. Exact same (bad) behavior. Same version of Calibre on both machines (1.7)...

I'll probably try a full uninstall of Calibre and install from scratch to see if that makes a difference...
Old 10-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
Did another test and created a brand new library on the problem machine. Exact same (bad) behavior. Same version of Calibre on both machines (1.7)...

I'll probably try a full uninstall of Calibre and install from scratch to see if that makes a difference...
Did you Make the required Preference settings to declare which fields were Hierarchical?

Preferences: Look and Feel: Tag Browser: <comma separated field names>

Code:
series,tags
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
spedinfargo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Did you Make the required Preference settings to declare which fields were Hierarchical?

Preferences: Look and Feel: Tag Browser: <comma separated field names>

Code:
series,tags
Yep - got that step on both tries.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
stupid hunch as this shouldn't really matter. Check the regional settings, both using a period as decimal separator?
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:27 AM   #7
spedinfargo
Groupie

Update: I deleted my settings folder (\users\[me]\appdata) essentially starting from scratch and created a new library. The problem went away.

So I have something buried in my settings that is causing a problem. If I can figure out how to save all my recipe download settings I'll probably just go ahead and start over.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Update: I deleted my settings folder (\users\[me]\appdata) essentially starting from scratch and created a new library. The problem went away.

So I have something buried in my settings that is causing a problem. If I can figure out how to save all my recipe download settings I'll probably just go ahead and start over.
You can save/restore each sub folder in settings seperatly in many cases.
Plugins, keep their settings in the PI folder

What I am trying to say, is you don't always need to nuke the entire settings structure to get happiness
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
interkulti
interkulti began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Hierarchy issue: where to find the settings folder?

Quote:

I have the same problem, and I am trying to find the settings folder u mentioned in order to delete it....any hint? (running Linux Mint)

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my ignorance
interkulti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interkulti View Post
I have the same problem, and I am trying to find the settings folder u mentioned in order to delete it....any hint? (running Linux Mint)

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my ignorance
@interkulti

Click Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open configuration directory and the configuration directory (folder) should open in your file system viewer (Nautilus, Krusader, etc)

Plugins are in the <configuration folder>.plugins folder, plugin settings are often stored in <plugin name>.json files, eg "Count Pages.json"

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
interkulti

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@interkulti

Click Preferences->Miscellaneous->Open configuration directory and the configuration directory (folder) should open in your file system viewer (Nautilus, Krusader, etc)

Plugins are in the <configuration folder>.plugins folder, plugin settings are often stored in <plugin name>.json files, eg "Count Pages.json"

BR
Thank you very much. The issue is that I cant find the specific file mentioned : settings folder (\users\[me]\appdata)
Old 02-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Thank you very much. The issue is that I cant find the specific file mentioned : settings folder (\users\[me]\appdata)
That is the folder on Windows.

linux computers, such as Mint, will store it in "/home/<username>/.config/calibre"
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #13
interkulti

I cant find it there then...
Old 02-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I cant find it there then...
Try this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@interkulti

BR
The .config folder is a hidden folder. The calibre option to open the configuration folder will open it directly, so you don't have to look for it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
interkulti

I found the config folder, but I dont see in plugins or anywhere else that file..