Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: How many ebooks do you have atm?
<10 18 12.24%
10 - 20 19 12.93%
20 - 40 13 8.84%
>40 97 65.99%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #31
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyFDR View Post
This is going off your post, but it's a general question for everyone who does read / delete. Do you also delete from your Kindle library if a) the book was free and b) you know you'll never want to read it again?
If a book is so badly written (or poorly formatted) that I just can't get through the first chapter or two, then I will delete it from both the device and my Amazon account.

If I have read the entire book, I remove it from the Kindle but don't delete it from my account...even if I didn't particularly enjoy it. I use Kindle for PC software to organize my ebooks. Once I've read the book, I move it to my "Already Read" category and delete the other categories it was filed under. I don't re-read fiction, so I'm not sure why I even keep the ebooks. I guess I just like having a record of the books I've read.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #32
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
This is going off your post, but it's a general question for everyone who does read / delete. Do you also delete from your Kindle library if a) the book was free and b) you know you'll never want to read it again?

I like to keep my libraries small. I delete personal documents right after they've been successfully delivered to my Kindle (unless I'm planning on accessing it on another device). When I download and read a free Kindle book, and know I won't ever want to read it again, I delete it both from my Kindle and my account [same with my beginning free video library on my Fire]. I'm wondering if I'm alone in the read / delete?
The only books I am trying to delete right now from my kindle cloud library are 300 free french classics that I was stupid enough to download through my actual account (should have created a new one just for this on purpose, darn it!) before I sent my old kindle to my aunt. It is taking forever and a day.

I never delete books I own from the cloud otherwise - only from my Kindle.
With badly edited or never edited books, I keep them in the hopes that Amazon will push an update at some point.
Also, I hardly ever read the free books I get. I should really make a rule of at least one a month, so I can provide the author with feedback, but my TBR pile is so big already....

Last edited by xendula; 01-14-2013 at 05:01 PM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #33
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:

I like to keep my libraries small. I delete personal documents right after they've been successfully delivered to my Kindle (unless I'm planning on accessing it on another device). When I download and read a free Kindle book, and know I won't ever want to read it again, I delete it both from my Kindle and my account [same with my beginning free video library on my Fire]. I'm wondering if I'm alone in the read / delete?
I do exactly as you do. Why keep something you never want to read again, right?

I also turn off archiving for personal documents, that way there's nothing to delete. I do have an ebooks folder (of books on my currently reading/to-read list) on my Dropbox though, so I can easily download the books to the Kindle app on my phone when I don't have my PW with me
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #34
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:

I'm wondering if I'm alone in the read / delete?
No, you are not alone. I don't like clutter in physical or electronic spaces. My kindles and smartphone have only content and apps that are used frequently or that (for books) are waiting to be read. This makes it easy to find what I want and uses fewer resources for indexing. I use Calibre, not Amazon's cloud, to store my books, and I back it up frequently. I generally don't delete books or magazines from the Calibre library unless they are truly worthless, because even "free" content took time to download, tag, and organize.

When I've finished a book on my kindle I not only delete it from the home screen, but clean up the device's files the next time I connect via USB. Otherwise the empty folders proliferate.

I find I like to keep some unread books waiting in my Calibre library, rewarding myself for finishing other books by deleting them from the kindle and downloading or sideloading a fresh supply. I think I get a jolt of dopamine from opening an unread for the first time and it somehow spoils the experience if I have a whole lot of books on my kindle that I've opened and read a page or two from.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #35
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Three. Currently reading Waging Heavy Peace by Neil Young and have two Michael Connelly novels on tap. I archive books after reading them. I also keep them on my PC using Kindle for PC.
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #36
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Which do you select if 20? :-)

Actually, I have less than 10, though if you count dictionaries and user's guide it's more. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #37
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Which do you select if 20? :-)
I would guess 10-20 if your 20 is usually your maximum and 20-40 if 20 is usually your minimum.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #38
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I would guess 10-20 if your 20 is usually your maximum and 20-40 if 20 is usually your minimum.
Personally I like to keep it lean. I have the next few books I plan to read and nothing else. I scratch my head when I read of people upset about the lack of collection management and can't imagine any need to carry around a lifetime's worth of books.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #39
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I am determine not to clutter up my Kindle this year. I got them all in front of me to clean off the books and start fresh. My reading tastes changes so much that half the books on there I wont read for awhile if ever.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #40
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Personally I like to keep it lean. I have the next few books I plan to read and nothing else. I scratch my head when I read of people upset about the lack of collection management and can't imagine any need to carry around a lifetime's worth of books.
My biggest need/want for collection management are series. I love reading series and I love having all of the books in whatever series I happen to be reading with me. Having them in a collection just makes it easier to find, especially if you also have them numbered in the title. Then, not only can you find them quicker, they're also already in the correct order.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #41
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
My biggest need/want for collection management are series. I love reading series and I love having all of the books in whatever series I happen to be reading with me. Having them in a collection just makes it easier to find, especially if you also have them numbered in the title. Then, not only can you find them quicker, they're also already in the correct order.
Yes, I've used it for that, but given that I seldom have more than 1 or 2 series on the device it's usually not a big deal to manage them manually, along with a text file called <series>_book_order.txt if they're not numbered in the title.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #42
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I use Caibre's plugboards for this. It auto adds the series to the title for me.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #43
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I have no idea how many I have on my k3 at the moment. Several 100 at least.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #44
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I have approximately 215 books on my kindle. Roughly 130 of those are books I have read. If I dislike a book, I delete it from the kindle. I may have deleted 1 book from my account -- not sure, but there was one that was a murder mystery and within 10 pages a dog was brutally murdered. I stopped right there and hit the delete button. I can't even bring myself to go back to the cloud and figure out if it is there.

I also have lots of samples. I no longer remember what attracted me to them. I keep finding too many books to read and I never get to the samples. Right now, I am reading HarryT's excellent Les Misérables. Fantastic! However I may not be able to get to another book this year because it is very slow going.

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #45
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Oh -- and which preposition do others favor: on or in? I would say that I have xx books "on" my kindle, but yy books "in" my Calibre library. OTOH, zz books "on" my HDD.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebooks, kindle, poll