Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Fire Terms

Just got my Kindle Fire yesterday. I consider myself a power user in Windows, have had a jailbroken Kindle Touch for a year, mildly familiar with my wife's 2nd gen Kindle Keyboard, vaguely familiar with my Mother-in-law's iPad 1. Am mostly lost with Fire.

I think big problem is terminology. I have been reading the tips and tricks thread. It refers to things like Stock Browser. Is that the previous generation of Silk or is it something else? I found reference to Pulse being a built-in. Cannot find such and find a number of things named Pulse for download. (I have some download issues too.) And then there are things telling me to go to the Appstore for Android. I think I found it ... but it doesn't call itself that ... so I'm not sure.

And then there is the aforementioned downloading issues. I have succeeded in downloading some things from the App store. Wifi Analyzer. Wifi File Explorer Pro, World of Goo. Even Pulse News finally showed up. But they took hours (literally, like maybe 4 hours after the screen said it had been ordered). And neither Gmail nor Maxthon has shown up yet, though Maxthon warned me it might not work. Is that (the long delay) normal? The Touch wasn't like that.

One last newbie query. When I linked the mail app to my Gmail account it appeared to offer to symc my contacts and calendar, which I accepted. Some messages here indicated that the contacts should show up in the contact app. They have not. And where would the calendar sync show up?

-----Paul-----
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
This is Pulse. It's not included anymore. Think ComiXology got pulled too (it was included in 1st gens FYI).

http://www.amazon.com/Alphonso-Labs-...keywords=Pulse

Oh your KF, the Appstore is within the Apps tab. Here is the website:

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b/...ode=2350149011

Always hit the Sync button when you download something and it doesn't show up instantly, shouldn't be taking hours. Have you read the manual that's pre-loaded? That might help a bit.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
pwright2
Connoisseur

Thanks, that's useful. Still have not figured out the time lag.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright2 View Post
Thanks, that's useful. Still have not figured out the time lag.
Are you downloading from within the Kindle? It's not the 4G version is it?
Old 12-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
pwright2
Connoisseur

No. Pure Wifi. Time lag seems to have disappeared. Maxthon never appeared but finally sideloaded Firefox.
Advert
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright2 View Post
No. Pure Wifi. Time lag seems to have disappeared. Maxthon never appeared but finally sideloaded Firefox.
Oh, right. It may be that the Whispersync servers are busy today.

Tags
apps, download, fire, newbie