Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #1
djstormer
djstormer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad
multiple style sheets for different languages

I am making an epub for a collection of essays, about half of them written in English, half of them in Japanese. I am creating a separate file for each essay.

I am still near the bottom of the learning curve when it comes to CSS, but understand that epub allows multiple style sheets. Would two style sheets, one for the English essays, one for the Japanese, be the best solution for the language-related issue I face here?

BTW, I don't have Adobe InDesign, but am basically doing everything from scratch, just using Dreamweaver for tagging the essay files.

Any help appreciated.
djstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That can work, just link the correct stylesheet to the corresponding XHTML file.

Be aware that not all readers support RTL.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
djstormer

Thanks Toxaris, will do that then.
BTW, the Japanese in the book is laid out LTR, so that won't be a problem.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
Earthlark
Earthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it isEarthlark knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Touch
Hey, djstormer, have created a stylesheet that formats the Japanese text vertically? I can't figure out a simple way to do this. If you could point me in the right direction, that'd be great.
Earthlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthlark View Post
Hey, djstormer, have created a stylesheet that formats the Japanese text vertically? I can't figure out a simple way to do this. If you could point me in the right direction, that'd be great.
Liz Castro had a fairly interesting talk on EPUB3 and Japanese typography, including an example Epub (3) showing how to do markup for TCY, Kenten, and Ruby, and of course showing the setup for vertical writing.

She posted the slides and the epub on her blog: http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...1_archive.html

Be aware however that since this is epub3 there is a limited pool of reading systems that currently support this.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
djstormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthlark View Post
Earthlark, no, the Japanese text in my file was horizontal because, as Jim Lester pointed out, not many reading systems support it. Things have just changed with the release of the Japanese Kindle, but I haven't yet had a look at the new formatting possibilities that accompany it.

Tags
english, epub, japanese, language, multiple css