Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Trouble with touch screens

So it looks like all those of us who don't care for touch screens are being left behind. If you want the newest features - front lit, better screen - , you've gotta go touch.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like touch screens. I'm sure I could get used to them, except a lot of the time they don't work for me. On my Droid smartphone, I mostly have to use a stylus to get it to recognize the touch. If somebody calls me on my phone, by the time I can get it to pick up, the other person has given up and I have to call them back.

(as a side note, I can't wear watches, either - they'll stop after a few months. If I take the watch off and leave it in my drawer, they'll start up again after a few more months)

Am I the only one who has this kind of problem?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Try out one of the touchscreens that are using IR technology (most of the newer readers except the newly announced Kindle). They work by detecting something breaking the light beam so they might be a better option for you vs capacitive screens that are on most phones/tablets/older e-readers.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I don't think you can really compare smartphones and ereaders regarding ease-of-touchscreen-use. I've got big fingers and I always have a hard time with the smart phones either getting them to recognize my touch or correctly pressing the right key, yet I am able to use the touchscreens on my Sonys just fine. The scope of the finger movement is much more forgiving on the ereader.

One thing I did do was pay attention to how I held the ereader with each hand and set the turn-page swipe to the direction that made the most sense for the hand positions. I swipe my pages left-to-right, rather than right-to-left, because I usually hold the ereader in my right hand and use my thumb to swipe.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I've found IR touchscreens to be way finickier than capacitance.
And I do prefer physical page turn buttons to touch.
If stuck with touch, switch to tap-to-page instead of the swipe thumb-busting setting. Less chance of RSI.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I've loved all touch devices since the original iPhone. Never looked back. I view buttons as both inflexible, and liable to break.

As for capacitive vs. IR, capacitive is definitely more responsive and can do stuff like multitouch, but on an ereader IR is good enough. Plus IR works with gloves (smartphones can be a pain in the winter). I'm interested in how Amazon was able to make the new Kindle capacitive without making it very fragile and/or reflective (see: glass)

p.s. I'd echo setting page turns to tap. With that I find it just as reliable as a button, and it requires less effort. With swiped on I'd always end up turning the opposite direct I'd intended because my brain was wired for something else that works the opposite way.

Last edited by stewacide; 09-09-2012 at 01:53 AM.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I was very sceptical about Touch screens on readers when I bought my Kindle Touch, but I'm a convert now. I find the touch screen on the Touch to be completely reliable and a pleasure to use. I have no desire at all to go back to buttons. For text entry, the soft keyboard on the Touch works much better than the physical keyboard of the K3.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was very sceptical about Touch screens on readers when I bought my Kindle Touch, but I'm a convert now. I find the touch screen on the Touch to be completely reliable and a pleasure to use. I have no desire at all to go back to buttons. For text entry, the soft keyboard on the Touch works much better than the physical keyboard of the K3.
And I feel the same way about my Nook Color.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I would rank the experience as: capacitive touch > physical buttons > IR touch. I do have my preferences, but you know who cares? Why is this an important issue? If you don't want smudges on your screen, use a stylus to turn the page.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I would rather have physical buttons, myself. In fact, I want page forward and back on both sides of the device, like on many of the Kindles. Turning pages is often the only thing I want to do with the device, why waste battery life running a touchscreen the whole time?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I would rather have physical buttons, myself. In fact, I want page forward and back on both sides of the device, like on many of the Kindles. Turning pages is often the only thing I want to do with the device, why waste battery life running a touchscreen the whole time?
I suspect that the power usage of the IR touchscreen used by most of the current generation of readers, is utterly negligible compared to the overall power usage of the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I've found IR touchscreens to be way finickier than capacitance.
And I do prefer physical page turn buttons to touch.
If stuck with touch, switch to tap-to-page instead of the swipe thumb-busting setting. Less chance of RSI.
I disagree, I have had an RSI injury, I find swiping MUCH easier, less vibration than tapping. Tapping starts to make my arm hurt in a hurry, while I can swipe turn happily all day. I swipe with a finger, not my thumb.

When I read one-handed, I use the physical buttons on my Sony, which are placed very conveniently.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The T2 is the only new reader that I know of that doesn't need a stylus, has touch and page turn buttons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
So it looks like all those of us who don't care for touch screens are being left behind. If you want the newest features - front lit, better screen - , you've gotta go touch.

I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like touch screens.
You are certainly not alone on that front. I've made a lot of e-noise about how I love my Kindle 4 because none of the menu options are touch screen.

I totally prefer not only "page turn" buttons, but cursor and menu buttons as well, and the K4 meets all those needs beautifully.

I don't do any "typing" or "note - taking" via my e-reader, and can't be persuaded to change my tune on this because that simply isn't what I want my e-reader for. I just want to load my books, and read them. Being able to share my joy with my 50000 imaginary friends on twitter or facebook can be done just as well when I am actually using either of those websites.

I hope that there is a glimmer of a chance that the physical models will remain on some level, and will be worth it for companies to produce. However, chances look slim.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is also the new BeBook (using Vizplex, not Pearl) that is not touch at all.

But overall, the move is to touch and buttons will be. Going away. So you have a choice, buy what's available now and not get the latest features or buy something with touch and get the latest features.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-09-2012 at 11:01 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #15
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Speaking only for myself, "the latest features" I've seen of the latest models - often have nothing to do with book reading itself. I can only hope that 5 years from now, there will still be such a thing as a "stand alone bookreader".

Should e-readers "evolve" to be nothing more than glorified tablets or mobile phones, I wouldn't hesitate to use my K4 until it bites the dust, and then go back to calibre only¸ like before I bought my first e-reader.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote