Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Windows XP Running on the iRex iLiad!

4/2 Edit: For those who don't know, this was an April Fool's Joke. The iLiad is setup to launch a VNC viewer on startup connecting to a windows computer.

I've been able to successfully port Windows XP to the iLiad!

This has been a project a long time in the making. A lot of people complain about the lack of functionality of the iLiad OS. Linux is great, but there aren't a lot of good application choices for it. So Windows is the obvious solution. With windows running, we can run a full featured Firefox, Mobipocket Reader, Adobe Acrobat, even Outlook!

It doesn't run very fast, and I had to modify XP's boot sequence to work on the iLiad, along with a custom display driver. But overall, I think there's a lot of potential.

Here's a video of it booting:

There are some more screenshots and pictures attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0701.JPG
Views:	2856
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	11913   Click image for larger version

Name:	windows1.png
Views:	1986
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	11914   Click image for larger version

Name:	windows2.png
Views:	2971
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	11915  
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I've been able to successfully port Windows XP to the iLiad!
Nice! But makes me think of this screenshot for some reason...
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
KillerRabbit
KillerRabbit began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Good one

Very nice, Adam..... and by "very nice," I do mean very nice April Fool's joke.
KillerRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #4
Ebook lover
NUUT, Cybook Device
Ebook lover began at the beginning.

Device: O2
This is nice! I might consider buying an Iliad now.
Ebook lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
nesagwa
Connoisseur
nesagwa began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook360
Out of curiosity would a CBR reader work on there?
nesagwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Ace of Penguin is not a April Fool's joke.
[EDIT:] So, it's a VNC connection. Or what?

Last edited by yokos; 04-01-2008 at 09:31 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
[EDIT:] So, it's a VNC connection. Or what?
Well that didn't take long...
Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Doggone it! Here I thought I'd post a mysterious leak of the new Apple iSlate today. But your post is far more clever. Masterfully done, AdamB. And thank you!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
And now you can put ubook on the Reader?......arguably one of the best ereader programs out there.

Don

Added: And I missed this April fool's joke!!!!!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #10
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Porting Wine to get the real possibility to run windows apps is an option. But I didn't get far with it.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokos View Post
Porting Wine to get the real possibility to run windows apps is an option. But I didn't get far with it.
I tried that as well.

The problem is that Wine is x86 and the iLiad is Arm. I don't think you can compile for one and run under the other without some compatibility layer.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:53 AM   #12
lucianoassirelli
lucianoassirelli began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
WOW!!
You had to ZIP it, didn't you?
And... what about the performance?
So, at least, I can run my preferred WORD processsor!!
:-)
lucianoassirelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
The problem is that Wine is x86 and the iLiad is Arm. I don't think you can compile for one and run under the other without some compatibility layer.
Exactly.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
;-}

Can we expect an iPod Touch port from you in about a year?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #15
sputnik
Enthusiast
sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.sputnik puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: EB 1150, iLiad
Any instructions for how can we, the regular mortals, install XP on the iliad? An "instalation package" will be nice...
sputnik is offline   Reply With Quote