Notices

Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
Paxman53
Connoisseur
Paxman53 began at the beginning.

Device: 7" Tablet - Aldiko Reader Premium
Smart Quotes

Hi everybody,

I know this is an older issue, but I thought I would share what I have found - hopefully not covering old ground.

I am using the UK English Dictionary from Sigil, and like a number of others found that even after adding a word to the dictionary, smart quotes still had a red line under them. (Tried adding hyph_en_GB.dic - didn't solve the issue)

However if you replace the smart quote with a straight quote (Don’t / Don't)
then add to the dictionary it will be accepted.

Then undo until the smart quote reappears and I found the red underline had gone and any future occurance of the selected word either with a smart quote or straight quote was recognised.

Hope this helps?
Paxman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
Timur
Connoisseur
Timur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five wordsTimur can name that ebook in five words

Device: EBW1150, Nook STR
@Paxman53: Or you can try converting the words with smart quotes in the user dictionary(not the ones in your document) to straight quotes. You can do that either one by one in Sigil, or you can run a replace all operation with your favorite text editor in the user_dict.txt file.
Timur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I am using the UK English Dictionary from Sigil, and like a number of others found that even after adding a word to the dictionary, smart quotes still had a red line under them. (Tried adding hyph_en_GB.dic - didn't solve the issue)
You can't just add any hyph_en_GB.dic file. All three dictionary files must be a matched set (exact same version) in order for it to work properly.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
You can't just add any hyph_en_GB.dic file. All three dictionary files must be a matched set (exact same version) in order for it to work properly.
I did install a matched set - still didn't work
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:
Actually further to that perhaps you can help?

My dictionary location is currently:

C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Strahinja Markovic\Sigil\dictionaries

I copy dictionaries into that as I cannot seem to get Sigil to look anywhere else.

I have tried deleting this folder but it just re-instates itself.

I think it should it be:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Sigil\dictionaries

And if so how do I point it in the right direction?
Advert
Old 02-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmmm. I certainly don't have to jump through any special hoops for Sigil to recognize curly quotes... and I don't have any quote characters (straight or curly) added to my user dictionary. I just tested using both the US and GB dictionaries.

What version of Sigil are you using?

EDIT: The appdata location is for user-supplied dictionaries and the program file location is for the dictionaries that come with Sigil. But Sigil will recognize the dictionary (all three files) that you place in the Program Files location just as easily. What I don't know is what would happen if there were different versions of the same dictionary in both locations. Which might be what you have going on.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-14-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #7
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:
Hmmm. I certainly don't have to jump through any special hoops for Sigil to recognize curly quotes... and I don't have any quote characters (straight or curly) added to my user dictionary. I just tested using both the US and GB dictionaries.

What version of Sigil are you using?

EDIT: The appdata location is for user-supplied dictionaries and the program file location is for the dictionaries that come with Sigil. But Sigil will recognize the dictionary (all three files) that you place in the Program Files location just as easily. What I don't know is what would happen if there were different versions of the same dictionary in both locations. Which might be what you have going on.
Using Sigil 5.2

All I have in current location is:

en_GB.aff
en_GB.dic
hyph_en_GB.dic
user_dict

These taken from Sigil Dictionary File - C:\Program Files (x86)\Sigil\dictionaries

The Sigil dictionary file still has all the dictionary files in it fr, de, es, en-US, en-GB + the hyph files.

I still get the odd word with quotes that the dictionary doesn't recognise
Old 02-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxman53 View Post
Using Sigil 5.2

All I have in current location is:

en_GB.aff
en_GB.dic
hyph_en_GB.dic
user_dict

These taken from Sigil Dictionary File - C:\Program Files (x86)\Sigil\dictionaries

The Sigil dictionary file still has all the dictionary files in it fr, de, es, en-US, en-GB + the hyph files.

I still get the odd word with quotes that the dictionary doesn't recognise
So you have copies of all three files with the exact same names in both locations? I wouldn't recommend that. I don't know which one would take precedence in the drop-down selection box in Sigil's preferences. I would guess if they're both the exact same versions that it might not matter, but if there was a mixture of older and newer files in both locations... I can see that causing issues.

If you have the newest versions of en_GB.aff, en_GB.dic, and hyph_en_GB.dic in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Sigil\dictionaries location, then you simply don't need them in the the AppData location. Get them out of there (leave the "user_dict.txt" file all by itself).

The only quote issue I run into is when a word that doesn't exist in the built-in dictionary has an apostrophe (closing single curly quote ) in it. Spell-check won't recognize that single-quote/apostrophe even after I add the word to the user dictionary.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-14-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:
So you have copies of all three files with the exact same names in both locations? I wouldn't recommend that. I don't know which one would take precedence in the drop-down selection box in Sigil's preferences. I would guess if they're both the exact same versions that it might not matter, but if there was a mixture of older and newer files in both locations... I can see that causing issues.

If you have the newest versions of en_GB.aff, en_GB.dic, and hyph_en_GB.dic in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Sigil\dictionaries location, then you simply don't need them in the the AppData location. Get them out of there (leave the "user_dict.txt" file all by itself).

The only quote issue I run into is when a word that doesn't exist in the built-in dictionary has an apostrophe (closing single curly quote ) in it. Spell-check won't recognize that single-quote/apostrophe even after I add the word to the user dictionary.
I was saying earlier I cannot get Sigil to look at its own dictionary file - the only drop-down I get is for the Appdata.

However to answer your point the files in the AppData are a direct copy of the most recent Sigil dictionary file.

As per my first message your quote issue is resolved by changing it to a straight quote adding it to the built-in dictionary and then undoing your changes backs to a curly quote.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was saying earlier I cannot get Sigil to look at its own dictionary file - the only drop-down I get is for the Appdata.
Are we talking about the same thing?
Edit->Preferences->Spell Check. The Dictionary combo box (top of the window) should list any valid dictionaries that are in the Appdata user folder AND in the Program Files System Folder. There should be no need to have the same ones in two different places.

Perhaps you should do full uninstall (deleting the local user data, Program Files stuff and removing all registry entries) and then reinstall. Did you ever have one of the 0.4.9xx beta versions installed?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-14-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #11
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:
Are we talking about the same thing?
Edit->Preferences->Spell Check. The Dictionary combo box (top of the window) should list any valid dictionaries that are in the Appdata user folder AND in the Program Files System Folder. There should be no need to have the same ones in two different places.

Perhaps you should do full uninstall (deleting the local user data, Program Files stuff and removing all registry entries) and then reinstall. Did you ever have one of the 0.4.9xx beta versions installed?
Yes same thing - I only get the Appdata user folder as an option.

I have also done full uninstall as well no change - As soon As I re-install the Appdata folder reappears.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes same thing - I only get the Appdata user folder as an option.
I don't understand what you mean by "get the Appdata user folder as an option"? On a fresh install, you should be able to go to Edit->Preferences->Spell Checker... and the "Dictionary" drop down box should have "none, de_DE, en_GB, en_US, es, fr" in it. You shouldn't have to add the hyphen file anywhere because it already comes with 0.5.2. (for en_US and en_GB) You should be ready to go with the stock install. I think you might be talking about clicking the "Open User Dictionary Location" button. Which is supposed to take you to the Appdata folder. That's its function.

Quote:
As soon As I re-install the Appdata folder reappears.
Of course it does. It's supposed to be there. That's where the user dictionary (user_dict.txt) lives.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-14-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:08 AM   #13
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean by "get the Appdata user folder as an option"? On a fresh install, you should be able to go to Edit->Preferences->Spell Checker... and the "Dictionary" drop down box should have "none, de_DE, en_GB, en_US, es, fr" in it. You shouldn't have to add the hyphen file anywhere because it already comes with 0.5.2. (for en_US and en_GB) You should be ready to go with the stock install. I think you might be talking about clicking the "Open User Dictionary Location" button. Which is supposed to take you to the Appdata folder. That's its function.

Of course it does. It's supposed to be there. That's where the user dictionary (user_dict.txt) lives.
Ok got you now thanks
Old 02-15-2012, 03:38 AM   #14
Paxman53
Connoisseur

Quote:

Did a complete uninstall then re-installed. En-GB selected from drop-down.
Test ran a file putting underlined words in user-dict.
Checked Appdata folder - only user-dict in there.

I misunderstood earlier threads thinking I had to copy desired dictionaries into Appdata folder.

Now only the user-dict is in there - albeit starting from scratch again.

Everything is now working fine.

Many thanks for your help/advice and of course your patience
Everything seems to be working fine now
Old 02-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #15
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
So you have copies of all three files with the exact same names in both locations? I wouldn't recommend that. I don't know which one would take precedence in the drop-down selection box in Sigil's preferences.
The user dictionaries take precedence. If you have a dictionary in your user dictionary directory with the same name as a dictionary (filename) in the install directory the user will be used.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote