Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-26-2010, 04:03 AM   #1
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I want some comic fantasies

I want some comic fantasies. To be more clear about what I want: I've never managed to finish a Terry Pratchett novel and I absolutely love John Moore.

Last edited by GERGE; 11-26-2010 at 04:07 AM.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Have you tried Robert Asprin or Glenn Cook?

If you like British Comic Fantasy (not sure since you don't like Terry Pratchett) then try Robert Rankin or Tom Holt. Also, MT McGuire from here on MR.

Last edited by mish; 11-26-2010 at 12:13 PM.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
Manley Peterson
Author of Bloated Goat
Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!Manley Peterson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
This is an interesting question. Any other recommendation from the group?
Manley Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I want some comic fantasies. To be more clear about what I want: I've never managed to finish a Terry Pratchett novel and I absolutely love John Moore.
Since you cannot get through a single Discworld book, you are doomed to heavy lethargic tombs like War & Peace.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Since you cannot get through a single Discworld book, you are doomed to heavy lethargic tombs like War & Peace.
Doomed!

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On a more serious note (in a manner of speaking), I thought "Blue Adept" was pretty funny. I think that was the book. By Piers Anthony. Rhyming poetry to create spells. And his "Incarnations of Immortality" novels too ("On a Pale Horse", et al).

-David
Old 11-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRM View Post
On a more serious note (in a manner of speaking), I thought "Blue Adept" was pretty funny. I think that was the book. By Piers Anthony. Rhyming poetry to create spells. And his "Incarnations of Immortality" novels too ("On a Pale Horse", et al).

-David
Blue Adept is from his Apprentice Adept series. I don't remember these being funny but it was a very long time ago that I read it. His Xanth series is more comic fantasy IMO. You have to *really* like puns though!
Old 11-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
Maybe this is considered dark fantasy, but "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is one of my favorites. "Incarnations of Immortallity" is pretty funny, too.
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
DavidRM
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish View Post
Blue Adept is from his Apprentice Adept series. I don't remember these being funny but it was a very long time ago that I read it. His Xanth series is more comic fantasy IMO. You have to *really* like puns though!
The dangers of reading too many books by one author during the formative years. They all start to blur together...

-David
Old 11-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
mish
Addict

Quote:
The dangers of reading too many books by one author during the formative years. They all start to blur together...
Sadly, it is not just from the formative years! Almost everything I read is a series. I have to keep track of them on a spreadsheet so I don't pick up a title I already own or have read. It's especially a problem when the titles are very similar.

Quote:
Maybe this is considered dark fantasy, but "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is one of my favorites. "Incarnations of Immortallity" is pretty funny, too.
oh yes, Good Omens is one of my favorites. But again, I don't remember IoI being funny, I thought they had a more serious tone. Oh well... blame it on the formative years!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Have you tried Christopher Moore? The Stupidest Angel, Practical Demonkeeping?

Or slapstick- Selina Rosen- Queen of Denial?

Jasper Fforde- The Eyre Affair (very literary)
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I like Thorne Smith.

My favorite is Nightlife of the Gods. His biggest hit was Topper.

Both are available from the MR library.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
For a more sophisticated humorous fantasy you could try James Branch Cabell, especially Jurgen, The Silver Stallion, or Figures of Earth. These are available from MobileRead.

Also there's an anthology of comic fantasy called The Wizard of Odds by Peter Haining. I'm not sure if it is available as an ebook.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #14
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
The Xanth series by Piers Anthony comes to mind.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
Rhynedahll
Connoisseur
Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rhynedahll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRM View Post
Doomed!

-David
I agree.

Which novels of Pratchett's have your tried?

Guards, Guards! ?

Going Postal ?

Those are two of my favorites.
Rhynedahll is offline   Reply With Quote