Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-03-2015, 09:12 PM   #16
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Okay, I've been considering nominating Albert Camus (Algeria). As you'd all be aware he is also a Nobel Prize winner. I'm thinking of one of the following two books, but I'm wondering how well read these books are before I nominate one:
L'Etranger (The Outsider)
The Plague

Both books are set in Algeria, and both works are considered representative of Camus' best works.

So, who among the Club has already read either or both?

NB: I'm quite aware of the already posted extraordinarily polished and stiff competition, but still I thought Camus also met the criteria and standard, and gave another flavour again.
I've read both, and they are both excellent. Anything I've read by Camus is excellent, and that has been a translation. I can only image how superb the French originals are.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #17
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I've also read The Stranger, but no other books by Camus.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:50 AM   #18
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I'll nominate Albert Camus, The Plague.

I'm conscious that the deadline is drawing nearer but I'm posting this via phone and can't immediately link to, or post, a blurb. I will do so in about 10 or so hours from now (when it will be Sun morn).

Bfisher, I hope you don't mind me posting a book you've already read.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #19
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Not at all. I rejoice in the excuse to read it again - it was 40 years ago, so I expect it will be a different experience.

I'll second The Plague.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I fourth Mr. Pip.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #21
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I believe I have one more vote?

I'll third The Plague.[
Old 07-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #22
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll fourth The Plague
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:39 AM   #23
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Nominations closed. Poll will be up shortly.

ETA - The poll is up here!

Last edited by sun surfer; 07-05-2015 at 01:02 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote