Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #1
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Preventing Software Updates - How?

Does anyone know if leaving a Kindle (Voyage) unregistered is an effective way to prevent forced software updates?

Note: I'm not interested in jailbreaking, so any method that requires JB is not an option for me. I know some have used Airplane Mode to avoid updates, but there have been sporadic reports of Kindles turning on WiFi by themselves, so it doesn't seem 100% effective -- besides which, I want access to WiFi.

Danke, Merci, Arigato
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just leave WiFi turned off. Totally safe.

I really would recommend registering your Voyage first, though, or else you won't be able to use things like collections.

The only reason that people generally don't want firmware updates is if the device is jail broken. If JB doesn't interest you, there's really no reason not to want the upgrades; they improve the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
There have been sporadic and inexplicable reports, which no one has ever duplicated in a testable manner. Personally I suspect the user(s) in question accidentally tapped something.

If you don't want to jailbreak, why do you care about the updates? Anyway, I don't think there is any way... aside from dumping a few gigabytes of info onto the userstore so there isn't enough room to download a +150MB update.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you guys saying an unregistered Kindle will still receive auto/forced software updates? Or you don't know?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no hard facts, but I don't believe it should make a difference.
Advert
Old 07-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Well there is no way to get the updates if the WIFI is off. And what I have seen is that you have to update it from the setup menu. I have never had a automatic update I have always been given the option to update.

But for me the only reason I can see not to update is if you have a jailbreak on it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

You can trigger an update check from the settings menu, but it is by no means necessary.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg

Thanks for trying to help, but ...
  • I want WiFi so that I can sideload via Dropbox.
  • I don't care about collections or the other perks that come with registering, so I see no reason to do so. Amazon already knows enough about me from my shopping habits; they don't need to know about my reading habits as well.
  • While I don't jailbreak my Kindle, I do use the font_ramp hack for custom font sizes and tweak ebooks to suit my specific needs. Given the mystery surrounding this new "typesetting engine," I'd like to block any auto-updates until I'm sure it doesn't mess things up.
I thought leaving my Kindle unregistered might do the trick, but perhaps not

Last edited by odamizu; 07-01-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I somehow doubt that Amazon is going to remove a hidden feature that they just added. I could be wrong... but they added it for a reason IMHO.

The "mystery surrounding this new typesetting engine" doesn't have any bearing on whether or not Amazon will continue to support the font_ramp instructions.

Amazon wants you to update. As a general concept, software updates are things you are supposed to install, leaving aside the specific instances where updates are a regression in functionality. So if you want to pick and choose what software to install, and determine of your own volition which are the regressions, you need to actually control your device.

You don't control your Kindle. Not in the slightest. Unless you jailbreak.
For most people, that is not a problem. For you, it seems that it is.

I suggest you re-evaluate your claim in the OP that "I'm not interested in jailbreaking". Jailbreaking is a means to an end, not the end itself, and you want to do things that Amazon has restricted -- namely, prevent updates. IMNSHO that makes for a pretty darn good definition of someone who is interested in the benefits of jailbreaking; the fact that you aren't interested in the jailbreaking itself merely means you aren't willing to put in the effort required to cash in on those benefits.

Amazon 1
odamizu 0
Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #10
odamizu
just an egg

Would it surprise you if I told you I don't disagree with anything you've said?

I don't expect a software update to break things, but I'd rather confirm this before it gets forced on my Voyage rather than after, when it's too late.

As for jailbreaking, while I have no problem tinkering inside epubs and azws, jailbreaking is a whole other level of tech savvy that scares the bejeezies out of me. Also, if I understand correctly, jailbreaking a Voyage requires cracking open the case and playing with hardware, which is way over my skill set and courage quota. Okay, yes, I admit it, I'm a big chicken
Old 07-01-2015, 11:18 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Little birdie.

I figured it is always best to be exact, but I cannot say I am hugely surprised. I had a minor lack of clarity when you said in the OP "I'm not interested in jailbreaking" -- could mean don't wanna, could mean hardware mods are intimidating.

There are guides posted here, in case you want to try your luck. Assuming one is good at following directions carefully, you might gain a lot of peace of mind.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:05 AM   #12
odamizu
just an egg

Well, I can follow directions well enough to bake a cake, but I understand less than half of the instructions for serial jailbreak, and what little I do understand makes me hyperventilate. So, I'm thinking rooting is a no
Old 07-02-2015, 03:40 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I don't expect a software update to break things, but I'd rather confirm this before it gets forced on my Voyage rather than after, when it's too late.
All you have to do to prevent over-the-air software updates is to put a dummy file (or it may perhaps be a folder) with the same name as the update file in the root of the Voyage's drive. Ask in the Dev Corner for details.

Seriously, though, it generally takes weeks or even months for Amazon to send out OTA updates after they release the update for manual installation, so you have lots of time to decide whether or not you want it.

There is no good reason not to register a Kindle, and lots of good reasons to register it.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #14
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Ah, the old sporadic reports. Aren't they amazing? There are sporadic reports of Kindle screen fracturing without even being touched. Just, poof, there it goes. Never dropped. Never sat on. Never stepped on. Nope, just...there it goes. My report? After years of reading on Kindles, all registered so I could download books, updates coming in when Amazon sends them unless I get eager and download one on my own and I've had zero problems with updates. I've had very few problems with my Kindles and they've all been solved at home. The reset has always done it.

I have a friend who has never gotten an update from Kindle. She has an IPad.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have a friend who has never gotten an update from Kindle. She has an IPad.
That's curious - the iPad Kindle App gets frequent updates. Does she perhaps not have automatic App updates enabled?