Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Charlie Dog
Charlie Dog began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Searchable NIV Bible

Is there an easily verse searchable NIV for Kindle?
Charlie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Not yet. I believe Osnova is still waiting for permission from Zondervan to do it.

However, the latest Kindle NIV on Amazon has a much easier way to get to verses than the old one. I bought that one and use it with my other Osnovan Bibles.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Charlie Dog

Would that be:

Holy Bible (NIV) by Zondervan (Kindle Edition - Dec. 26, 2010) - Kindle eBook
Buy: $9.99
Old 03-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, that's the one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 AM   #5
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Dog View Post
Would that be:

Holy Bible (NIV) by Zondervan (Kindle Edition - Dec. 26, 2010) - Kindle eBook
Buy: $9.99
This updated NIV edition is special. It came out on the Kindle month(s?) before it was released in paper.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
Isn't that the tNIV version though? With a slightly different translation?

If it's different, I can't use it. I'm in BSF, and they want everyone to use the same translation.

edit: Well, it's not called tNIV but yes, the 2011 version is different. I was talking to my wife this morning about it and she said that the tNIV (and further revisions of NIV) tries to change passages in Scripture to become more gender neutral. She said that it changes things like references to "mankind" to be something more along the lines of "people," which isn't terrible per se, but it also goes further to change certain references to God to no longer be in the masculine form. However, Christ calls Him Father, so I don't see why we shouldn't.

I've been looking a bit more into it and it turns out she's right.

Last edited by chyron8472; 03-14-2011 at 09:44 AM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try it first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
Isn't that the tNIV version though? With a slightly different translation?

If it's different, I can't use it. I'm in BSF, and they want everyone to use the same translation.
Download a sample of the NIV and then compare some verses from that one with the printed one you use in Bible Study. If all verses compare exactly the same, you can use that one.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #8
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Download a sample of the NIV and then compare some verses from that one with the printed one you use in Bible Study. If all verses compare exactly the same, you can use that one.
hmm... nope, I can't use it.

I understand the thought process behind the changes, (many of which seem valid) but when the questions from my Bible Study Fellowship class reference a specific passage and then says "what does [this specific word from Scripture] mean/refer to?" it's asking about a specific word or phrase. If I go to class and say "my translation uses this word instead of that one," I'll feel silly because they told us we need to all refer together to the same translation for the class.

Last edited by chyron8472; 03-14-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
Charlie Dog

The Holy Bible (NIV) by Zondervan (Kindle Edition - Dec. 26, 2010) - Kindle eBook
Buy: $9.99 is the NIV.

TNIV (Today's New Internation Version) is a different Bible/Translation from the NIV, intended to be "gender sentsitive".

NIrV (New International readers Version) is a different Bible/Translation from the NIV and TNIV intended for younger readers.

They are not intended by Zondervan to differ theologically from each other, although people can and do interpret them differently.

As far as I know, all three are phase equvalent translations, and hence, are particullary unsuitable for individual word study.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
chyron8472
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Dog View Post
As far as I know, all three are phase equvalent translations, and hence, are particullary unsuitable for individual word study.
That wasn't really my point.

I know NASB is supposed to be far closer to word-for-word and therefore better for individual word study. That's not really what I'm talking about, though.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard

Go here to get the latest ESV with DVJ from Crossway for ZERO dollars for a few days from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Bible-English-...0151168&sr=1-2
Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #12
Charlie Dog

"That wasn't really my point.

I know NASB is supposed to be far closer to word-for-word and therefore better for individual word study. That's not really what I'm talking about, though."

Yes, I understand that. What I think you are talking about is the New 2011 of the NIV, . The chances of you stumbling across a word used in this particular Bible version that is different for the study are pretty slim and I can't belive its use would ruin the comprehension of the study in any manner, however, YMMV. A very extensive analysis of this "New" Bible can be found here.

http://www.slowley.com/niv2011_comparison/

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes down with the general public. I think its going to cause some controversy.

As far as I know they do not plan to keep publishing the 1984 version, and I have heard that they plan on discontinuing the TNIV, but don't know this for sure.

I am not advocating its use one way or the other. I bought it because I like doing parallel comparisons between the ESV, NIV, and NET. The 2011 version for Kindle is currently half the price of the 1984 versions. I personally like the way the ESV reads and even enjoy the more poetic nature of its somewhat archaic language. To me the NIV is easier to read quickly and is easier to understand. The NET has very extensive translation notes, 60,000
Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
hmm... nope, I can't use it.

I understand the thought process behind the changes, (many of which seem valid) but when the questions from my Bible Study Fellowship class reference a specific passage and then says "what does [this specific word from Scripture] mean/refer to?" it's asking about a specific word or phrase. If I go to class and say "my translation uses this word instead of that one," I'll feel silly because they told us we need to all refer together to the same translation for the class.
If you're looking at it at that level of detail, shouldn't you be looking at the original Greek or Hebrew words, rather than the choice of words that a particular translation has chosen to use? There's nothing to suggest that the NIV is a "better" translation than many others are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
chyron8472
Groupie

lol, nevermind.

If you don't understand my point yet, I'm not sure you're going to.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM   #15
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Go here to get the latest ESV with DVJ from Crossway for ZERO dollars for a few days from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Bible-English-...0151168&sr=1-2
Thanks for pointing that one out to me!!
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote