Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #31
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Oh.. let's revice an old thread.

I enjoyed "Handling the Undead" by John Ajvide Lindqvist, it's kind of fun.

any other "new" Zombie novels out there?
It got mentioned earlier, but there was no detailed info. I just finished World War Z. A very interesting concept--an oral history, really an homage to Studs Terkel's The Good War, consisting of "interviews" with survivors of the "Zombie War," conducted ~10 years after. I also did not realize that the author, Max Brooks, is the son of Mel Brooks. So, there's an appropriate mixture of horror and comedy.

Oh. And I picked it up at Fictionwise. I don't know if it's available on Kindle.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #32
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Can I just add my recommendations for World War Z. I am 3/4s of the way through it. Very good and very different. Not the usual Zombie blood fest.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #33
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
Can I just add my recommendations for World War Z. I am 3/4s of the way through it. Very good and very different. Not the usual Zombie blood fest.
Hey Stormchild,

Are you a British subject as well as a resident? I would imagine that the chapter discussing Her Majesty would be more touching to Brits...
Old 10-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #34
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Hey Stormchild,

Are you a British subject as well as a resident? I would imagine that the chapter discussing Her Majesty would be more touching to Brits...
I am English not British but let's not go there. I am also not a fan of the Royals but it was an interesting if a little unrealistic chapter. There are plenty of people here who would find it touching though. Riveting read so far. Such a different method of storytelling. I am looking forward to the film, just so long as they stay true to the book and don't try to turn it into 28 Days Later (which I like).
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #35
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormchild View Post
I am English not British but let's not go there.
Sorry that I'm ignorant of the difference.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #36
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Great Britain is an island including England, Wales and Scotland.
The United Kingdom is England, Wales and Scotland plus Northern Ireland.
I live in Wales, so am Welsh and British, but not English.

Meanwhile, Project Gutenberg has recently added a zombie story by Lester del Rey: Dead Ringer. I've converted it for the MR library:
LRF:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59389
IMP:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59390
LIT:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59391
PRC:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59392
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #37
curtw
Outside of a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
..Which is the part I knew (my Father-in-law is a Scot), but how could one be English and not British? I thought I had selected the "safest" phrase, and ended up causing yet another international incident.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post

Meanwhile, Project Gutenberg has recently added a zombie story by Lester del Rey: Dead Ringer. I've converted it for the MR library:
LRF:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59389
IMP:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59390
LIT:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59391
PRC:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59392
What, no ePub?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #39
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
I've heard good things about Boneshaker by Cherie Priest.

Quote:
In the early days of the Civil War, rumors of gold in the frozen Klondike brought hordes of newcomers to the Pacific Northwest. Anxious to compete, Russian prospectors commissioned inventor Leviticus Blue to create a great machine that could mine through Alaska’s ice. Thus was Dr. Blue’s Incredible Bone-Shaking Drill Engine born.

But on its first test run the Boneshaker went terribly awry, destroying several blocks of downtown Seattle and unearthing a subterranean vein of blight gas that turned anyone who breathed it into the living dead.

Now it is sixteen years later, and a wall has been built to enclose the devastated and toxic city. Just beyond it lives Blue’s widow, Briar Wilkes. Life is hard with a ruined reputation and a teenaged boy to support, but she and Ezekiel are managing. Until Ezekiel undertakes a secret crusade to rewrite history.

His quest will take him under the wall and into a city teeming with ravenous undead, air pirates, criminal overlords, and heavily armed refugees. And only Briar can bring him out alive.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #40
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
..Which is the part I knew (my Father-in-law is a Scot), but how could one be English and not British? I thought I had selected the "safest" phrase, and ended up causing yet another international incident.
Indeed I think you did choose the safest one... especially since Stormchild is listed as living in Cornwall -- A lot of people there are ethnically Cornish (Celts, who like the Welsh trace their origins back to the original Britons), not English.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #41
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
More general confusion may stem from the fact that in my language - Polish - (and possibly other languages) the whole island and the whole country is usually referred to as 'Anglia' (from Roman word?) which is usually translated by Polish people speaking English into just 'England' without much thought.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #42
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
So who's reading a good ZOMBIE book? --- You know the story: Blood, guts, intestines and flying brains.

Does anyone need any Brains, by the way? (I only mention this because I saw what looked like a pile of writhing maggots, but it was actually someone's brains working its way across a parking lot. I didn't think brains were ambulatory, but this one surprised even me.)

Has anyone seen any splattered zombie remains anywhere? I've been looking, but I think someone dumped some garbage somewhere close by and the stink is driving out everyone - including zombies.

So who's reading a good ZOMBIE book?

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-15-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #43
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
I"m reading World War Z right now.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #44
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Don't forget about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:27 AM   #45
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
So who's reading a good ZOMBIE book? --- You know the story: Blood, guts, intestines and flying brains.

Does anyone need any Brains, by the way? (I only mention this because I saw what looked like a pile of writhing maggots, but it was actually someone's brains working its way across a parking lot. I didn't think brains were ambulatory, but this one surprised even me.)

Has anyone seen any splattered zombie remains anywhere? I've been looking, but I think someone dumped some garbage somewhere close by and the stink is driving out everyone - including zombies.

So who's reading a good ZOMBIE book?

Don
Exactly, thats what I really want... something REALLY gory. Think lawnmower-scene in "Breaindead"!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote