Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
honeybunny
Connoisseur
honeybunny has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2 GSM
Dilemma -- Moving Overseas

It looks like I'm going to be moving overseas within the next 3-6 months. This will be a long-term move. I have a Kindle 1, and I'm a very heavy user of it. The device still works great, though it could probably use a new battery. I actually dunked it in the tub at one point, but I dried it out and it works fine.

I've backed up all of my current .azw purchases. We would still have a US credit card and US address linked to our Amazon account, so I know I could still make purchases. But I could no longer view samples and I could no longer get updated Kindle firmware.

So do I keep my Kindle and go through the hassle, or do I start looking into other ebook readers? I have a Nokia smartphone and I would LOVE for Amazon to release Kindle software for it (like they have for iPhone) but I'm not holding my breath. Plus, it would be hard to go back to reading on a 3.5" screen.

I'm open to other ebook readers. I have a handful of books I would hate to 'lose', but most of them are negotiable (I tend to be a read-once type of person for most things). I've gone through this before, as most of my purchases before the Kindle were through Fictionwise, for secure eReader format. (on another note, why can't they just decide on one secure format?)

I haven't actually kept up-to-date on ebook readers since buying my Kindle, because I've been very happy with it. The main things I love, though, are not unique to the Kindle. They are the eInk screen for its long battery life, and the screen size for ease of reading. I think most readers now have the same thing.
honeybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I don't see a reason not to keep the Kindle when you move over seas.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Keep your Kindle. Even if you can't get the samples from Amazon, I've found that many of the samples are available from elsewhere. And the prices at Amazon are still lower than other places ... for the most part.

If you're willing to do the format-conversion and -shifting, you could deDRM your books from Fictionwise and probably 85-90% of the books you already have from Amazon, which means you shouldn't lose too much from your earlier purchases if you *do* decide to pick up another reader at some time.

Order yourself a spare battery while they're still available & then just don't worry about it for a while.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
honeybunny
Connoisseur

Thanks for your inputs.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You can download samples that work on the Kindle from Mobipocket.com. Also, whenever a new update is available, Amazon always creates a self-install version (they have to for people in the U.S. outside of Whispernet range). You'll still have easy access to Kindle books so there is no reason *not* to keep your Kindle. If you would like another ebook reader to add to your collection, it couldn't hurt.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
honeybunny
Connoisseur

Awesome, you guys are great! And I have now found how to un-DRM my old eReader books so that I can read them on new devices too! This is great! Have "backed up" all my Kindle purches to non-DRM format too.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:31 AM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Cant add much to the good advice given here, except to say that I have been using my Kindle outside the US for several months, with very little problem. It will be even easier for you, given that you have a US-registered credit card.

On the issue of downloading samples, if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, install the free Kindle app. This will let you download samples to the iPod.

My only worry would be the battery. If you need to send the Kindle back to Amazon for a replacement battery, they might need a US address to return it to. That shouldn't be a big problem, but if you feel the battery is nearing the end of its life, it might be worth getting a replacement before you leave.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
She said that she has a kindle 1. The battery is user replaceable, no need to send the unit in. You just order a new battery from Amazon and they ship it to you. I would agree that it might be a good idea to buy a replacement battery before she goes, just in case.

I agree with most of what the others have said. Keep the kindle and keep buying books via Amazon. Download the purchase to your computer via the web interface. Then you can either simply copy the book to your kindle via usb, or de-drm it (if it's not topaz format) and shift it to a different format. That's basically what I do. My difference is that I do this to read the book on my Sony 505, since I find it easier to read on the Sony than the kindle.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote