Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
kressg23
Enthusiast
kressg23 began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader, iPhone
Best ebook reader for iPhone?

To all you gurus out there, is there one reader app that is better than another for the iPhone 3G? Thanks.
kressg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Stanza's my fav.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
I read regularly with eReader, Stanza, and Instapaper. Each has advantages, but in general I like the Stanza interface the best. I actually use eReader the most at the moment, as I have been buying protected books of late, and though Stanza now supports eReader DRM, the eReader software has a much better mechanism for directly downloading the files. Since the Stanza interface is only slightly better than eReader, for me at least, it's just easier to use eReader.

The other advantages for Instapaper and Stanza? If I am reading webfiction, Instapaper makes grabbing individual web pages very easy. On the other hand, the interface is lacking, and it does not work if you need any sort of site login. Stanza's interface is slightly better than eReader, as I said, but a bit quirky. Also, their pairing with the desktop version makes transferring files a snap, but the conversion is not as simple as I had hoped.

Enjoy,
The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I mostly use eReader as well although, like The Bandit, I prefer Stanza.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I think the Bandit pretty well covered it. Mainly: it depends on WHAT you are reading, and what format it comes in.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I prefer Stanza on the iPhone, but I don't like their desktop app. Instead, I use Calibre for managing my eBook collection. If you're fine leaving your PC on, Calibre also has a built-in HTTP server which can generate Stanza compatible feeds. Very useful for accessing your collection on the go. Still no way of organizing feeds in the built-in Calibre server, but there's a third-party Calibre2Web/Calibre2Stanza VB script which generates structured/hierarchical catalogs. Caveat is you'll need to run your own http server.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I prefer Stanza on the iPhone, but I don't like their desktop app. Instead, I use Calibre for managing my eBook collection.
Exactly the same for me.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #8
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I tested Felaur for reading PDF's on the iPod Touch. Taking into account that PDF's are not made to be read on such small screens, this app does a good job and also allows for easy transfer of PDF's from desktop to iPod (it uses WebDav). It is not for free, however.

Groet,
Adelheid
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #9
ebookqueen
ebookqueen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPod Touch
Ditto. Stanza is my favorite. eReader is second favorite.
ebookqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

eReader is my favorite. Unlike Stanza it allows me to toggle the rotation lock without going into preferences. I also like the difference of doing a swipe to bring up the toolbars and a tap to turn the page. Last thing is that the animation on ereader of moving the page up/down feels more natural to me than Stanza's animation of left/right.

I wish eReader would add autoscroll.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:53 PM   #11
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flumbo View Post
Last thing is that the animation on ereader of moving the page up/down feels more natural to me than Stanza's animation of left/right.
I don't like any animation on page turns, so turned it off (in Stanza).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:37 AM   #12
flumbo
I got nothin...
flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flumbo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I don't like any animation on page turns, so turned it off (in Stanza).
I'm not sure why I like the animation in eReader. I don't like the animation in Bookshelf either. That one also scrolls up but it makes my eyes hurt. Bookshelf also needs to put a little more space between the lines of text.

I had the animation in eReader off for the first few months and then turned it on and grew to like it.

I think I'd also like Stanza more if they allowed me to change the page turn areas from left/right to up/down instead.

I'm glad there are a lot of competing readers for the iPhone. Should make them all better.
flumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Isn't there a new eBook reader due out for the iPhone this month? I thought I recalled someone menntioning that recently.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:15 AM   #14
PhoneAddict
PhoneAddict began at the beginning.

Device: none
Acrobat reader is my favorite on PC but for Iphone, I think Stanza is the best since it is free and easy to use! yeah free is always the best. :P
PhoneAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #15
soalla
soalla began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-505
Hey, eReader is also free

I like it better over Stanza as you may add a dictionary (you may have to buy one first!) searchable directly from inside the book you're reading. Also there is a find option that let's you search for a word or expression inside the complete book (starting from the first page or the page you're reading) - on Stanza, and as the books are not loaded completely but on chunks, you may only search the chunk you're reading...

...of course Stanza as a better catalogue presentation, with all those book's covers and you may use Calibre to send epub formated books to you iPhone/iPod using the included webserver (it's dead easy ) - but I also created a simple webserver with Apache on my desktop to send my pdb formated ebooks to eReader (I did it in 10 minutes and it was the first time I ever used Apache...)...
soalla is offline   Reply With Quote