Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFoxx View Post
I'm really interested in The Road. Can anyone tell me more about those without spoilers?
This is THE ugliest and most depressing book I have ever read.
There are two protagonists - the man and the boy. No names. They travel through completely destroyed country. Everything is gray and black after some un-specified catastrophe that destroyed everything organic. Everything is covered in ash. They are meeting various groups of people. Usually *very* uncivilized and hostile.
They are tired, cold, wet, hungry, thirsty, miserable, scared, and hopeless.
Their dialogs are very repetitive, terse and short, usually dealing with the fact that they are tired, cold, wet, hungry, thirsty, miserable, scared, and hopeless.

There is no punctuation in the text, no quote marks for dialogs. I am very surprised the writer did use capital letters for the beginning of the sentences - he discarded everything else, so why stop at capital letters.

I think that if he wasn't already very famous before submitting the manuscript, his book would have ended up in the garbage bin before the publisher finished reading the first page.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:55 AM   #17
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
The Trial. Kafka.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #18
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I really liked The Road. It's a great suggestion for someone asking for depressing.

A couple of standout books that have real depth and fit the "depressing" bill are A Perfect Night to go to China by David Gilmour (Governor General's award winner) and The Time in Between by David Bergen. The Gilmour book has about the most depressing and yet satisfying ending of any book I've ever read.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #19
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson. It's a thoroughly bleak little novel.

Quote:
The House on the Borderland (1908) employs the device of the found manuscript, a diary kept by an old recluse who lives in a lonely house in Ireland besieged by hideous forces from other worlds and swine-like monstrosities emerging from an abyss beneath the house. One evening in his study, the narrator has a visionary experience in which he streaks through space, time quickens, and in a series of dream-like narrative sequences he witnesses the future of the earth and the final destruction of the solar system.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #20
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Orwell's 1984. A depressing story set in a drepressing world.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #21
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'll second The Road as tremendously depressing. Some of Cormac's other books also made me frown.

And another big shout out for Peter Watts. His Rifters trilogy was brilliant and depressing.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #22
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
try reading twitter or 4chan posts

the very best from our current illiterate caveman culture
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 PM   #23
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
try reading twitter or 4chan posts

the very best from our current illiterate caveman culture
Youtube comments are also good for that.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #24
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
This is THE ugliest and most depressing book I have ever read.
There are two protagonists - the man and the boy. No names. They travel through completely destroyed country. Everything is gray and black after some un-specified catastrophe that destroyed everything organic. Everything is covered in ash. They are meeting various groups of people. Usually *very* uncivilized and hostile.
They are tired, cold, wet, hungry, thirsty, miserable, scared, and hopeless.
Their dialogs are very repetitive, terse and short, usually dealing with the fact that they are tired, cold, wet, hungry, thirsty, miserable, scared, and hopeless.

There is no punctuation in the text, no quote marks for dialogs. I am very surprised the writer did use capital letters for the beginning of the sentences - he discarded everything else, so why stop at capital letters.

I think that if he wasn't already very famous before submitting the manuscript, his book would have ended up in the garbage bin before the publisher finished reading the first page.
this man was a prophet no doubt
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #25
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I was sure I had commented already but apparently not... Anyway, I agree with The Roadand, also, On The Beach. You might also consider Never Let Me Go or Atonement. Children of Men, for more dystopia.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #26
Tony Richards
Wizard
Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Richards ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Leaving Las Vegas by John O'Brien, which I believe was his last novel before he committed suicide. If you have a heart, the ending will break it ... snap it like a twig, in fact.
Tony Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #27
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It's been a long time since I read it, perhaps I should reread it before recommending it, but I remember Jean-Paul Sartre's Nausea being depressing but very good too.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM   #28
Darth_Bane
Dark Lord of the Sith
Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Darth_Bane knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Sony PRS-505 and PRS-300, Kobo Wifi, Touch and Mini, Kindle 4NT
Harlan Ellison

Nobody mentioned Harlan Ellison yet - pretty much most of his short stories qualify. A good example is "I have no mouth and I must scream". Doesn't that paint a cheerful picture?

IIRC, one of his collections, Deathbird Stories, even has a disclaimer not to read it if you're depressed, although I could be confusing it with some other Ellison book. Ellison also penned the famous Star Trek (original series) episode called City on the Edge of Forever.

The Road is still pretty much #1 on my bleak and depressing list though.
Darth_Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #29
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Another vote for both "The Stand" and "The Road".
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 AM   #30
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
Orwell's 1984. A depressing story set in a depressing world.
I second that, talk about getting your hopes crushed.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catcher in the rye, crime and punishment, depressing, elliott smith, suggest